Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Standard Gauge Machines
 Problems with my Brother
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hilarysmum
New Pal

France
4 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  08:14:33 AM  Show Profile Send hilarysmum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My brother KH900 connected to Brother KR850 ribber is a dream except that it only knits onto the teeth of the knitting machine. I have tried adding weights, holding the knitting away from the teeth, and once even managed to unhook the knitting take it off the teeth and then put every stitch back on to the needles. I added more weights, but it still knits on to the teeth. What am I doing wrong. I am a total novice with Brother, and havent knitted at all for years, so am on a huge learning curve. Would really appreciate any help. thank.

amoonsinger
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  10:40:41 PM  Show Profile Send amoonsinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you tried carefully checking the gate pegs (those teeth that the needles slide through) to make sure they are not bent out of shape. My Studio sk700 was catching the yarn on the gate pegs and even thought I thought I had looked at them carefully there was two gate pegs slightly out of alignment. It was very hard to tell so I had to look from several angles to see it. Once fixed the machine doesn't do this any more.

Since you have a ribber be sure the ribber and main bed are aligned right. If the alignment is off that could cause the problem. There are several adjustments. One to make sure the needles on main bed and ribber bed align up properly, another to make sure the two beds are not too far a part. The third has to do with the adjustment of needle spacing to the two beds.

There are a couple of groups that have the adjustment files for these machines to bed in yahoo groups. The large group, just called knittingmachines, has the file. I would have to look up what other group might have it.
Go to Top of Page

hilarysmum
New Pal

France
4 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  10:27:10 AM  Show Profile Send hilarysmum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, sorry for delay in responding, have only just refound this site after computer crash.

Cannot find anything wrong with the "teeth". Could it be the angle as it has a ribber attached. I feel the angle could be too steep, is there an ajudstment
Go to Top of Page

amoonsinger
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  08:38:59 AM  Show Profile Send amoonsinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was hoping to find something that shows you how to align a ribber to the main bed, but couldn't find much. There is this:

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/KNITTING-MACHINES-PART-2-ADJUSTING-A-BROTHER-RIBBER_W0QQugidZ10000000006613323
Go to Top of Page

BStanding56
New Pal

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  05:24:29 AM  Show Profile Send BStanding56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you checked your sponge bar? might be worth checkingx Beth
Go to Top of Page

hilarysmum
New Pal

France
4 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  01:07:49 AM  Show Profile Send hilarysmum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Odd you should ask that BStanding56. My friend has gone back to UK and during her stay will go to a well known machine supplier to buy a new sponge bar for me.

Thanks all.
Go to Top of Page

chiral
Warming Up

Australia
68 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  4:54:28 PM  Show Profile Send chiral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A checklist for when things go wrong:

1) Make sure the yarn is threaded correctly

2) Make sure the carriage is on the needlebed correctly

3) Check the sponge/foam bar hassn't gone flat or perished

4) Make sure there are no rough spots on the carriage where the yarn goes through

5) Make sure you have the correct amount of weights

6) Maybe the yarn needs waxing

7) Make sure you understand the instructions (you'd be surprised)

8) Make sure there are no bent needles/gatepegs

9) Maybe you need a break. Have a coffee and come back to it

The last is often the most important

Steve
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiral1/
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  4:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might be putting the yarn on top of the bed, instead of between the beds?

Also, check out this site: http://knittsings.com/category/machine-knitting/how-to-setup/ She tells you how to make your own sponge bar! If your friend brings you back a new one don't throw the old one out!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe