Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Looney Tunis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4400 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  7:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The breed is called Tunis, and it's one of the oldest indigenous sheep breeds in the United States. So when I saw that there was a farm in Upstate New York that raised Tunis sheep, that they sent the fleece to Green Mountain Spinnery in Vermont for processing, and that they named the yarn Looney Tunis? Well, couldn't resist.

Note: Their Web site appears to have crashed right after I published the review. So you'll have to trust me on this one.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

CraftyGrammy
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  05:04:34 AM  Show Profile Send CraftyGrammy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, I so enjoy your yarn reviews. It sounds like a perfect yarn for that go to sweater. I have been going crazy looking for the perfect yarn for a long coat sweater. This one happens to call for a heavy worsted though. Would it be possible to double it up to get 18 sts/4" on a 10 1/2 needle? Since this sweater is long and will be sat on it seems that the 3 ply would hold up well for pilling and wear.

It looks like the spinnery has put out another great yarn.

Thanks for the review.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

knittingsister
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  09:58:12 AM  Show Profile Send knittingsister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, I can't WAIT to give this yarn a try. It sounds like one I will love, not being particularly into soft. Born and raised in New York State, product of many generations of Maine and Massachusetts dwellers, I treasure the slightly scratchy feel of wool against my skin. (Also,what are those long-sleeved Ts in delicious colors for, if not to go under scratchy wool sweaters?) I will seek out some Tunis yarn in the very near future. Thanks for letting us know about it. I also own and really enjoy your Knitter's Book of Wool. I read every word, about every breed of sheep. I'll leave the sheep-raising to others, but love their wools. Carol
Go to Top of Page

bfaye
Seriously Hooked

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  10:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaye's Homepage Send bfaye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara,

Great review! I think I would love this yarn, the sheepy smell just makes me like a yarn even more. The "yarns of substance" like this are the ones that I think make projects that last - the arans, the weekend sweaters and jackets that become old friends.

I went to the site and I read the blocking directions. They said to wash in Dawn dish soap and put a book on top of the project to block and it would bloom. Did you block your swatch like this? I've never blocked that way and wondered about it. I wouldn't want to smash the sheepy goodness. :)

benne
http://feathersong.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.