Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Knitting Magazines
 Interweave Summer 2011
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  6:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The preview is here:
http://www.interweaveknits.com/preview/summer-knits-2011.asp

I'm intrigued by the Torch Lily Tee (though the model seems too small for it but the bonus photos show the nice details) and I would knit the Amelia hoodie (but with long sleeves).

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  06:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. There is NOTHING in it for me. Just confirms my support for designers who are working out there, one pattern at a time, do write wonderful patterns that are flattering. It's sad, though: 10 years ago, I would make 4 or 5 projects from one IK.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  07:18:13 AM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Owl. Zip, nada for me! And the Plus size knit is very unflattering. A huge expanse of stockinette. yikes!
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  09:02:01 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Owl and Sandy have it right once again. Yet another IK with nothing tempting for me. But this time I think it's even worse - most of the designs seem to be unflattering even to the models. What the ... is going on there?

And as for the Torch Lily Tee, Minh is correct that it is too big for the model. I also think the neckline is really unflattering. How can they get away with putting that piece on that model?

Finally, I think the whole photoshoot as shown on the website is bad - poorly staged and awful colors. One piece is modeled against a cinderblock wall in a back stairwell - looks like a loading dock. Yuck.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1561 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  10:05:13 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you are correct....it seems to me that the way the knits are photographed is what makes some of them so unattractive. I can see some adaptations of a few of the patterns.

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...To much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

neraksenrab
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  04:04:46 AM  Show Profile Send neraksenrab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with your assessment of most of the patterns, however the Bistro Lace shawl is really interesting. I was thinking that those "stars" might make great Christmas snowflakes or even a garland. Karen
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  07:13:11 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Minh~two 'maybe' knits in the Torch Lily Tee and the Amalie hoodie. But again, wondering if this are the 'best' photos they can provide, and if so, then the chances of things looking good on me are slim to none.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  1:37:48 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that many of the garments do not flatter the models who are wearing them--especially the Greenhouse Tank and Torch Lily Tee, both of which I might consider knitting.
I found the pictoral lace article interesting, but I would have liked to see more examples than just that stylized elephant.

I do like the swirl-skirt pattern--it looks good and is a somewhat innovative design without being totally weird-looking.

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2673 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  08:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't care much for this issue, either. Wouldn't make any of the patterns and I usually find at least one that I dog-ear.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  10:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I found the projects in the ADS better than the magazine projects...

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  5:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't very taken with this one either - but that is fairly normal for me with the summer editions of knitting magazines. I will probably make the Amelia hoodie with a band instead of hood so it doesn't look stupid. No sleeves and a hood? What were they thinking.

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157623175907664/show/ 2010 FO
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/ My blog
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2011 :  09:00:33 AM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The camp smock is cool. And the swirl skirt. And the pebble and reed tunic (I like that one a lot). And the baby elephant vest is cute. I might make that for my son.

I do think the photography is a little off, though.
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  12:08:47 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cat's Eye Tam is nice and maybe the Pebble Tunic. But what's with those colors?! They're almost all so bland and boring! I like to wear brighter colors in the summer and, while switching colors is the easiest modification possible in knitting, why not show the samples in nicer colors to begin with?

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest; LYS mystery shawl

Go to Top of Page

lamknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  7:16:12 PM  Show Profile Send lamknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ho Hum...the only items of interest in this issue were in the adverts. Interweave has lost its way -- boring patterns, boring articles. The last year has been such a disappointment.

Leslie, in Beautiful Bucks County, PA.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?