Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Double whammy: Little Red in the City / Knit Swirl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  7:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello!

Since we're on our every-other-week summer publishing cycle, I thought I'd talk about not one but two books in this week's Knitter's Review. Both are self-published, and both address the concept of a perfect-fitting sweater--but from very different perspectives.

Meet Ysolda Teague's Little Red in the City and Sandra McIver's Knit Swirl. Happy reading!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

McKennaO
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  05:05:13 AM  Show Profile Send McKennaO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, Clara! I'm so glad to see Sandra McIver's Knit, Swirl! reviewed!

I've been knitting for decades, mostly intuitively and without a pattern, the intended recipient my only guide. Still, I greatly admire the work of those intrepid souls who put their patterns to paper; I have a vast collection of books, which I adore and would never part with.

Knit Swirl, however, actually inspires me. It's been a lot of years since something actually grabbed my attention to the point of digging through my stash after the first few pages, and this book had me from the very beginning. It is just plain fun to knit these jackets, and because the end result is unfailingly flattering, you'll soon find yourself considering whimsical yarn combinations you might otherwise have dismissed - the vertical and diagonal welts quickly neutralize the bulking-up effect of traditional horizontal stripes, and the fabric created by the welts always drapes beautifully, if for no other reason than the sheer volume.

I think most of us have go-to yarns. Well, these have quickly becoming one of my go-to patterns. Swirls are easy, portable and highly adaptable. More seasoned knitters may want to cap the sleeves - the result is a truly awesome sleeveless hoodie or vest - or knit them flat to create a cut-away effect. Newer knitters will be gratified by the simple fact that they can create a truly pretty and infinitely wearable garment each and every time.

I'm so glad Ms. McIver took the risk of self-publishing and have no doubt that major publishers everywhere will be kicking themselves for not having acquired the rights.

"Never doubt that a group of concerned citizens can change the world - indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1170 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  08:44:15 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't read the newsletter yet, but I recently clicked on the KnitSwirl sponsor ad on KR, and went to the book's website. There I found several really great photos of projects that reallyappeal to me. I'm not sure I could knit many of them yet, but I like having pictures of more complex projects to aim at, for when my skills get better. It motivates me to learn new skills with each new project I try. I look forward to reading this review. Thanks, Clara!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

293 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  09:18:04 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great reviews, Clara.
I happened to look through Knit Swirls at a book store last week and I was very intrigued. After reading Clara's review, I am tempted to invest in it, but am concerned that I will once again be the exception to the "one size fits all" rule. I'll have to go and look at the book again.

Nanci
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  10:58:00 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I have one book's worth left in the birthday loot, and I like the sound of Knit Swirlas much as the others. I know Ysolda Teague's book will be excellent, but I do have a few quite technical (for me) books that I've done a bit of custom fitting with, but I still have a bit to do on a few sweaters, so I'm still not sure I'm ready to progress.
Go to Top of Page

raven_girl@mac.com
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  11:13:39 AM  Show Profile Send raven_girl@mac.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an absurd amount of Koigu boucle yarn purchased about 10 years ago. I also have a shrinking body and avoided making any garments that wouldn't fit after a while. Knit, Swirl, Knit is perfect and a wonderful addition to my knitting library. Since there are so many stitches, I plan to use the Portuguese Style technique to avoid hand cramp and fatigue.
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

576 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  06:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the one venue where I can confess my "knitter's crush" on Ysolda Teague sans risking derision. She writes some of the clearest patterns on the planet. As one who has the subscription to LRITC in ebook and hard-copy, I am looking forward to the customization in the patterns. While her thousands of devotees have been all worked up about the delivery date of the book - and she has painstakingly been refining and editing - from this vantage point, the designs might have benefited from models with a few more body-types than the dramatically different "twig" and "apple" to have more positive first reaction from knitters unfamiliar with her work. It's all about learning and I know I will have important take-aways from LRITC.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth