Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Requests to the editors for yarn reviews
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eastrock
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  04:08:11 AM  Show Profile Send eastrock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find the reviews very helpful, so when a yarn hasn't been reviewed it's a bummer. Let's send our requests to the editors! I would like to read a review of a pure hemp yarn.

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  09:52:41 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I am in the market for a good hemp yarn. So, if Clara has the time, maybe she could fit this request into her busy schedule.

M L
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  5:35:26 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think hemp yarn could be nice if it was soft. Or does it soften with use the way linen does?

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest; LYS mystery shawl

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  09:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good suggestion! Consider it noted.

Also, I'm moving this out of Ideal Knitting Bag and into the yarn category so people can find it.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  2:20:19 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lacylaine

I think hemp yarn could be nice if it was soft. Or does it soften with use the way linen does?

Melanie

:: I find it gets softer and softer with washing and age.

M L
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  4:31:53 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but look what you have to go through to knit it! I have resisted every request for anything made with yarn that hurts to knit. Well, except DDIL requested cotton longies for DGS#4, but then, they live in Miami Beach. Sigh. Maybe I can wash hemp yarn in the skein several times so it doesn't hurt to knit???

sja
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  4:56:50 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sjanova

Yes, but look what you have to go through to knit it! I have resisted every request for anything made with yarn that hurts to knit. Well, except DDIL requested cotton longies for DGS#4, but then, they live in Miami Beach. Sigh. Maybe I can wash hemp yarn in the skein several times so it doesn't hurt to knit???

sja

:: I did wash the skeins one time and that made it comfortable for me. I found it less daunting than cotton boucle, LOL.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  07:49:00 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some hemp that is beautiful light caramel color. I haven't knit it up yet, but my friend did and it was not bad to knit with, it knit up great and the short sleeved T looks wonderful. I just need to find a pattern. Yes it does soften up with washing.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  12:55:06 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, it LASTS forever. I did a sweater for someone so very many years ago, and it is still going strong and as soft as can be. He says it is his absolute favorite, go-to sweater and this person is often not kind to his clothing and that sweater is still looking fine and as comfy as a soft cotton towel.

I'm hoping Clara can find a source in her detective work that is more easily accessible. The only one I have is from Canada, and the price and the cost of getting it here is a tad bit steep. I wish there were a good source here in the States.

M L
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  9:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knitted with yarns from Hemp for Knitting:
- all hemp 3 -- this is a fingering weight that felt like twine at first but the more you knit with it, the softer it gets. Once I washed my scarf, it was super soft!
http://www.lanaknits.com/usaallhemp3.html
- Hempton has both hemp and cotton, the cotton content helps makes it feel softer as well. It made a very nice washcloth.
http://www.lanaknits.com/usahempton.html
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  6:28:53 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up! It's a shame we can't grow it here in the USA. I'm curious how to wash it if Milinda's friend is hard on his clothes? Can it be machine-washed?

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest; LYS mystery shawl

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  7:03:11 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lacylaine

Thanks for the heads up! It's a shame we can't grow it here in the USA. I'm curious how to wash it if Milinda's friend is hard on his clothes? Can it be machine-washed?

Melanie

:: The sweater I knit was machine washable, the ONLY kind of yarn to use for that person, believe me. LOL

And I agree 100%, shame we can't grow it here since it is such a sturdy yarn that softens with age.

M L
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?