Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet technique questions
 Keeping things straight
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hudakore
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  1:21:55 PM  Show Profile Send Hudakore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been crocheting for over 50 years now and, believe it or not, I still can't keep straight edges! What is the trick to make sure I am staying straight up and down on edges and not slanting one way or the other? What do you look for?

"A stitch in time saves nine...unless the pattern is all wrong".

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2011 :  10:14:42 AM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing I can think of, is that you are not putting your first stitch of a new row into the right stitch of the row below.

In single crochet (sc), when you finish a row, you chain 1, turn, then sc into the last stitch of the previous row.

In double crochet (dc), when you finish a row, you chain 3, turn, then that chain 3 is your first dc of that new row. You then skip the last stitch of the previous row, and dc into the next one.

Maybe find a beginner crochet book at the library and look at the diagrams.

If that's not the problem, maybe your crocheting too tightly? Are you using the right size hook for your yarn?

If you have a local yarn store, bring in a sample and see if a crocheter there can help. If you have a Michael's or a Hobby Lobby nearby, you might arrange to find someone there to ask.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe