Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Comfort Knitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  04:58:44 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We all know our favorite comfort foods. What about comfort knitting?

You have a comfy yarn that pleases you in touch, colors, and every other way. It works beautifully with your favorite needles. Gauge is not an issue. Your stitch pattern is varied enough to keep your attention, but not too tricky. No matter how many WIPs you might have, there are times you just want to knit for Your Own Comfort.

These days, my comfort knitting uses the one-row lace stitch shown here. (Is there another stitch pattern that is so very simple that gives so much bang for your buck? With minimal skill and basically 4 stitches, you get such lovely product!)

I'm almost finished with my third "Comfort Scarf" this month & am aiming at making it four before the month is over. Here's what I'm doing:

Using worsted weight with US 10.5 needles, I cast on 24 stitches, knit 4 rows and then do the one-row lace for a total of seven inches. Then I do a 2-inch high "loop" like the one here. After the loop, continue the lace pattern until you have about 3 feet from the cast on. Knit 4 rows, and bind off.

To wear, put around neck, and pull the long end through the loop. It even looks great on your head as an ear warmer, too!

I'm glad this is what I'm loving these days. Christmas is only three months away!

What’s your favorite “comfort knitting?”

Marilyn
My Bags

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  05:13:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything with plain ol' garter stitch! Either that, or sweaters in the round, where you just go around and around. Great for vegging in front of the TV or listening to a podcast...

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  06:12:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baktus (sorry, Ravelry link) is my latest favorite comfort knitting -- I have enough beautiful sock yarn to choose from, and all I have to do is reach into a bag and pull out any skein. I weigh the skein, knit garter stitch until I've used half, and then knit the 2nd half. You can customize the basic pattern with lace, eyelet, purl rows, etc. Baktus is never boring!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  06:51:07 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty new to knitting, so haven't had the chance to do much comfort knitting until recently. Work has been incredibly stressful these past few weeks, and I find myself always wanting to work on a giant, striped garter stitch shawl. I'm using stash yarns that I love, a variety of rougher, crunchier wools (to steal Clara's word; I see what she means), some alpaca, one skein of boucle. The colors are all of the same warm, brown-red tones. I really like the way it's coming out, and it's so soothing to just, simply, knit.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  06:59:17 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baktus for me too, but then you knew I am going to agree with Jane because Shaggy loves Jane.

I don't knit socks , however I love sock yarn for the Baktus. Lella has knitted me a pair and I am so looking forward to wearing them.

Great thread Marilyn, I will be checking back to read all the replies for favorites.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

298 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  07:18:02 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great question. I also love Baktus. It's a pattern that adapts to any yarn and I love the way it looks completed no matter the yarn. It's also great car knitting.

So, Jane and Shaggy, I'm with you. Nice to be in such good company!

Nanci
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  08:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, great minds do think alike, Nanci!

And Jane loves Shaggy, so it makes perfect sense that Shaggy loves Baktus!

Jane

Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  6:47:28 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How funny, I tried a Baktus and got all frustrated because it never seemed to get anywhere. I think I was also trying to do the one with eyelets and I had to keep track of the rows. Didn't like that at all - I find it very difficult to keep track of rows in garter stitch. No, my comfort knitting this past year was the "Just Enough Ruffles" scarf - I knit one after another and thought I'd never stop. I also loved Jared Flood's garter and feather-and-fan blanket and am itching to do another.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/just-enough-ruffles

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tweed-baby-blanket

Great question, by the way!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  7:53:35 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shaggy, the second sock is racing along the gusset and soon will be off to the toe and then off to you. Soon! It's been glorious fun!

Jane, it's beautiful that scarf. I can see why you three love it. And anderknit, that ruffle scarf is tres chic! love it.

I so needed this discussion! Mindless knitting for me was going to be a great big tote but the blasted thing is too hard to be mindless. I'll do a scarf for a dd out of something simple and not hairy.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

rosir
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  05:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit rosir's Homepage Send rosir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with the Baktus crowd, but felt the need for something a bit larger to keep me occupied for bed time/public/comfort. This pattern has kept me well and truly satisfied for a month while I've knit other things requiring charts and my attention. I know this sounds improbable, but if you're thinking of knitting a swirl sweater, it has vast wastelands of mindless knitting. All that remains to do on mine is to finish sewing in those ends.

Rosi
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  05:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazingly, I've just discovered that I can't stand mindless knitting. Garter stitch bores me to death - I don't even start things that have lots of it. Other mindless knitting (like a Danish tie-shawl in offset broken rib pattern) goes very slowly, because I just can't keep at it for any length of time. However, if I add a saxony braid in the middle, the project just flies...

Happy knitting! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  06:47:25 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Klara, I know what you mean. Mindless knitting is not necessarily comfort knitting, IMO. I like just enough variety in my stitches to keep me interested, whether it be one-row lace, Yarn Harlot's one row scarf stitch, or simple k4 p4 blocks.

That said, I've never done a regular length scarf with the one-row stitch. When I started my first one, I added the loop for my own interest. PLUS, it's only 3 feet instead of 5 or 6!

I'm taking another look at the Baktus today. It just might fit the bill, too.

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

Kipster
Seriously Hooked

738 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  08:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kipster's Homepage Send Kipster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having knit the lacy baktus a couple of years ago, my current comfort knit is the Hitchhiker Scarf. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hitchhiker It's a four-row garter stitch pattern that's knit on the diagonal. It's a perfect pattern for wildly variegated yarn.

Mary
http://snitnknit.blogspot.com/

Ravelry: McMary
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  09:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kipster

Having knit the lacy baktus a couple of years ago, my current comfort knit is the Hitchhiker Scarf. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hitchhiker It's a four-row garter stitch pattern that's knit on the diagonal. It's a perfect pattern for wildly variegated yarn.

Mary
http://snitnknit.blogspot.com/

Ravelry: McMary

That one's in my queue, Mary -- thanks for reminding me!

Jane

Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  2:10:41 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My comfort knit is almost any hat knit in the round with worsted weight yarn and #7 or 8 needles. My favorite is an Ann Noorling Pattern that at the end of every 4th row you move the marker over 1 stitch ....makes kind of a swirl pattern.
judy
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  06:58:50 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so I finished my latest "Comfort Scarf" yesterday afternoon and started a Baktus with a lovely variegated shades of blue yarn I found in my stash. It's worsted (I have no sock yarn.), and I'm doing it on US8 needles. Before the last stitch on every row I'm bringing my yarn forward and slipping the last stitch for a nice border. Also, I'm using KFB for my increases. I'm liking how it looks and enjoying the "squishiness" of the garter stitch.

It's going pretty quickly, and I think I'm about to the mid point. The amount of yarn isn't a problem (have plenty), but I do have a question.

What length do y'all like? Four feet? Five feet? I would like to be able to wrap it around and tie it.

I do like this pattern! Of course, as I knit it, I'm figuring how to make it with the one-row lace stitch! I think it's possible. Will let you know!

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  07:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My latest sock yarn Baktus is about 4-1/2 feet long, and with the point in front, I can wrap the ends around and tie them in front. I've never actually measured one before, because I always just knit to the halfway point of my yarn. I think you could definitely add a stitch pattern, especially a simple one.

And I'm really enjoying the Hitchhiker I started yesterday (thanks to Mary). It's a discontinued Sundara yarn, DK Silky Cashmere. Don't need to say more...

Jane

Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  2:26:10 PM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, thanks to Mary I will put the Hitchhiker on the to do list, since you can't go wrong on any of her designs. I finished her http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/225-degrees several months ago. Love it.

Will be awhile before I will start the Hitchhiker due to me moving.

Marilyn passed through your town, did you see me waving? I am typing this on a card table that we brought with us till the movers get here next week.

I am enjoying the replies to her thread, keep them coming KR sisters, thanks Luann I like saying KR sisters.

Off to check out the link Rosi posted.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

Susan1006
New Pal

33 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  05:43:42 AM  Show Profile Send Susan1006 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the rhythm of plain socks on 5 dpns with a self striping yarn to give me a visual lift. I like to make them to down in worsted wool 48 or 56 stitches/inch and short for slipper socks. They are gratifyingly quick to knit, have that little interruption in the center for the heel and can be picked up and put down easily to do other things.

Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises. EZ
Go to Top of Page

jlpanecki
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  06:13:41 AM  Show Profile Send jlpanecki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello friends,

My comfort knitting is a doll sweater of my own design. I call it the SimpleLittleSweater. It is a basic tank sweater with ribbing around neck and waist, and just stockinette stitch through out the body.

I like to do these while riding in car or commuting on train to NYC.

I mostly use size 4 needles with needlepoint wool for these - since I have tons of it and have had to stop doing needlepoint as my eyes, and arthritis won't let me do it comfortably - and I sure can't do needlepoint in a train!

I like the Baktus pattern - I am going to use 2 balls of a tan-toned tweed alpaca that I've been saving for a scarf - for myself - it looks easy enough to be my "late night knit and vege in front of tv" knitting.

Lately I've been knitting sweaters for much smaller dolls- using size 1 needles and a thin crepe yarn - it comes out lovely, but working with that yarn is not what I would call a comfort - more like interesting!

thanks for the good idea!

Janet in Ct
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  08:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess my current "comfort" knitting has to be a hand towel (for kitchen or bath) with coordinating dishcloth or washcloth. It's pretty mindless knitting, although both the chili pepper towel and the basket rib towel (Ravelry patterns) are very addicting for me.

Certainly, the yarns are not as soft as wool yarns, but I'm finding some, such as CotLin, that feel pretty darn good to my not-too-sensitive (farm wife) hands.

I think a big reason these are so satisfying/comforting for me personally to knit is because they are so darn USEFUL and I have family members and friends literally standing in line for them, and then wanting MORE of them.

At this year's county fair, when I inquired about entering hand-knit hand towels (I couldn't, because there was no category, but hopefully there will be next year), the women in charge of taking entries seem astonished at the idea. One woman said, "Hand knitted towels? I've never heard of such a thing, but I think I would love to have some!"

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?