Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Comfort Knitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  09:35:09 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Donna, I will look for the towels on ravelry, sounds interesting and comfort knitting.

Keep the replies coming, I will be checking back.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  12:11:40 PM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whenever my knitting is frustrating, incomprehensible, or I just want to see some progress knitting something happy, I knit on my blankie http://www.ravelry.com/projects/churchlady/sock-yarn-blanket. The mitred squares are second nature now, and as long as I keep tossing the 100g balls out of the project bag and just keeping a little, I should still be able to carry it out and about for a long time. Finishing one or two little squares in an evening is a real feeling of accomplishment.
Go to Top of Page

Gibson Girl
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  12:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gibson Girl's Homepage Send Gibson Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the Swirl sweater. Although you think you will NEVER get through the first few rows, it soon is mesmerising. I'm using up an assortment of stash yarns all in the same colorway - taupes, creams, grays, etc. I'm also using differing textures. So, it's fun, uses odd bits of leftovers, and looks great. I'm just to the point of adding sleeves. Garter and stockinette seem boring for me. But, I do like the look of the Baktus scarf and it could also qualify as a stash reducer. Thanks for the recommendation.
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  02:48:43 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my first Baktus is 2/3 done. I didn't get to knit much yesterday due to housework. Yuck.

I'm really enjoying this pattern. My point is perfect, and I love what is happening with the colors. I can certainly see why this is such a comforting knit! This won't be my last Baktus!

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone!

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

Mary B
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  4:13:18 PM  Show Profile Send Mary B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
k3, p3 prayer shawl, fan and feather (usually a baby blanket) or k2, p1 socks w/ cable every 6-8 rows
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  4:38:42 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I make Fiber Trends felted clogs. I have size 6 and 8 memorized and they just fly off my needles.

Second choice is anything garter stitch. I LOVE garter stitch

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  4:51:03 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, now you have me knitting a Baktus scarf. I had some Madelinetosh sock yarn in a subtel variegated shade called Jade in my very modest stach. So far it looks good.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  5:16:28 PM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kristina, all of my Baktus and sideways scarfs are knit with Madelinetosh sock yarn, really nice yarn and love the colors.

shaggy

Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  6:24:17 PM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garter stitch--I am rather looking forward to the two blankets that I have coming up for Christmas gifts!

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  04:15:01 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Baktus scarf question.............my edges go in and out in a wave like fashion, not at all straight like in some pictures I have seen. Is this right? I'm following a pattern that I found on Raverly.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  04:40:29 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kristina, mine don't wave. If you have a link to the one you are knitting, maybe we can help.

shaggy

Go to Top of Page

Loves2Needle
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  09:19:48 AM  Show Profile Send Loves2Needle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, fall and comfort knitting, two of my favs. My favorite comfort knitting would have to be kids' caps in the round (our church women donate them to local schools). A couple of years ago I found this pattern for a faux isle cap, http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2009/10/09/Faux-Isle_3A00_-A-Great-Colorwork-Technique.aspx, and once you get started the charted stitches become intuitive.

My other favorite thing lately is lace knitting, but it isn't always comfort, depending on the complexity of the pattern. Thanks for the tips on the Hitchhiker and Baktus patterns. They may become my new comfort knitting. I've lots of odd lot skeins to use up!

Sherrey
loves her needles!
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  12:26:46 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find any knitting is comfort knitting. If it isn't I don't do it. But there are times when I want something to knit that I do not have to think about much because I am going to be chatting, like in our Monday night Knit and Natter group. It was quite amusing one night when we realised we were all dead silent - not nattering whatsoever - because we were all counting stitches and knitting lacey things. So normally the body of a garment is a comfort knit for me as you just have to knit and purl back and forth or knit all the way round and round. I hate knitting on DPNS. I poke myself with them, grab the wrong needle and therby pull all the stitches off it and do all sorts of silly things. Not comforting at all.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  12:45:40 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite comfort knitting is Little Hearts(Kleine Herzen) by Teresa Fox. These are quick and adorable and enable me to keep my hands playing with yarn and needles--sometimes that is enough!
Go to Top of Page

DonnaR
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  09:20:22 AM  Show Profile Send DonnaR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite comfort knit is Chocolate Petit Fours by Deborah Robson from Knit Along with Debbie Macomber: The Shop on Blossum Street. This is a four row pattern knit with two colors of yarn; two rows of slip stitch and two rows of knit stitch (garter). It is a lot of fun to make and I learned to love slip stitch knitting this pattern.It is most effective with two highly contrasting colors either variegated or solid. It can be knit in various weights of yarn from worsted to baby yarn.

You can see mine at:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/daffydowndilly/chocolate-petit-fours

On Ravelry: daffydowndilly
Go to Top of Page

DonnaR
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  09:33:29 AM  Show Profile Send DonnaR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another favorite comfort knit when I want a small project is Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf by Karen Baumer. This is a great project to carry for "on the go" knitting. It is quick to knit and uses up those one or two balls of yarn from your stash that you bought because they were so beautiful you just had to have them. It looks wonderful knit out of a hand painted yarn or any yarn the is very colorful and variegated. This is a garter stitch pattern with short-rows but is very easy. The pattern is free on Ravelry.

You can find it here on Ravelry:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/multidirectional-diagonal-scarf

On Ravelry: daffydowndilly
Go to Top of Page

mjhealy
Warming Up

76 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  1:07:22 PM  Show Profile Send mjhealy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful suggestions. The worst part of my day is my commute home in the early evening. Traffic is unbearable and I just want to get home to start dinner. I keep a simple (no pattern needed) dishcloth or scarf in the car and pick it up when I'm sitting at lights. The knitting (and my new Satellite radio choices) helps me pass the time.

I must tag Baktus and Swirl sweater. Thanks for all the great ideas.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  7:37:13 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I printed out "Baktus" and will try to use up some varigated sock yarn. I've learned that I don't like it made into socks, so need to find other uses for the lovely hanks in my stash.

I've enjoyed seeing everyone's ideas. I like Jared Flood's Noro striped scarf http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/2007/04/noro-scarf.html and, oddly enough, this double knit scarf was a lot of fun http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/vice-versa. This is the only double knit that I've done without constantly referring to a chart. The center squares are random, so you can just zip along until you feel like adding one. Both of these scarves are reversible, and I never fail to get compliments when I wear them.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  05:14:57 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Double knit scarf is going on my to do list, thanks Jan.

It looks like a fun knit.

shaggy

Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  12:38:24 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll enjoy it, shaggy! I used Noro silk garden with a black alpaca blend - it's soooo soft! My only regret is that I should have made it longer. I was excited for it to be finished, so stopped when I ran out of yarn since it was "long enough". I wish I'd gone back for another skein of each and made it longer. It is one of my all-time favorite scarves.

Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.