Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 rectangle shrug
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sgoldfried
Seriously Hooked

Canada
769 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  05:46:07 AM  Show Profile Send sgoldfried a Private Message  Reply with Quote
right now my brain is fried
i need something simple
i know there is a pattern for a simple rectangle shrug
cant find
can anyone help please
sylvia

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  08:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the simplest I can think of: Get some beautiful variegated mohair (250 m or thereabouts). Cast on 40 - 50 stitches with 10 mm needles and knit (=garter stitch) until you run out of yarn (leaving enough for casting off).

A bit more complicated: Find a stitch pattern you like to knit in one of your stitch dictionaries/knitting books, yarn you like to use and the needles that go with it. Determine gauge, cast on as many stitches as you need for the desired width (and to have whole repeats, plus eventually edge stitches) and knit until the shrug is long enough.

Happy knitting! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  2:01:40 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have made a shawl the way Klara describes. Beautifu yarn, big needes and just garter stitch. I have given this as a Christmas present with great success. It looks like a simple lace and, of course, the yarn does most of the work.

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

882 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  2:50:06 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry you aren't feeling up to par, Sylvia. Are you looking for a pattern with sleeves, or a shawl (without sleeves)? Have you chosen a yarn for the project?

flicka
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  4:58:21 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on the shawl Klara describes right now. I'm making a striped rectangular shawl using about 7 differnt textured yarns all in natural color tones and it is absolutely lovely. The yarns aren't widely variant in texture; I'm using some misti alpace, which is the smoothest and softest, several shades of romney, a fluffy neutral boucle, and quatro. I just love it, and it is restful and pleasant to work on. Highly recommended medicine for brain-fry.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

sgoldfried
Seriously Hooked

Canada
769 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  04:55:03 AM  Show Profile Send sgoldfried a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi
flicka
i think i will go with the rectangle shawl
mindless enough for me
and thank you all for answering sylvia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000