Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How can this possibly happen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  07:37:01 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wondering if anyone has an explanation for this? I was stitching up my bow-tie sweater yesterday. I started with the white on the cuff, and when I went to switch the black, I noticed a clear demarkation across the sleeve where I had switched balls. THE DYE LOTS ARE THE SAME!! How can this happen? I feel like I am going crazy.

So, I figure I will cut the sleeve at that point (I do both sleeves at the same time so they will be the same length - so much for that. It is more difficult with this sweater, because it is blocked within an inch of its life) and reknit it, checking in under very good light.

Because trouble never comes alone, I also decided, after sewing up the sides and sewing one sleeve on (and I don't need the sleeve gussets, and I am really wierd about stuff fitting snuggly - must be because I am petite (not tiny, just short)), I saw I forgot to use the armenian technique on the back. The armenian technique involved carrying the unused yarn across the back. I did it in the front on the white, not the back. I decided I liked the back better - the sweater is wool and silk, and really drapes nicely. So, I wlll undo the side seams and take out the sleeve, and cut the front at the beginning of the bow tie.

I think I will just go back to bed.

Anyway, how can this happen? Now I did get this yarn in more than one shipment at Elann, but the die lots were identical.

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  07:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My only explanation (if it is not a hand-painted yarn), and in particular when it comes to a dark colour, could be a different exposure to (sun)light since that can have an effect. Other than that, I would be puzzled too!

Marjolein

http://kantajour.blogspot.com
my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
On Ravelry: Marjotse
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

191 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  04:21:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might use some of the white or even some of the black to crochet a design (freeform crochet or a border type piece) or use some roving to needle felt something to affix along the line of demarcation. I don't know this pattern, so I can't say if this trick might work....just a thought! Good luck!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Become a Scarf It Up! Fan on FB: http://www.facebook.com/scarfitupwilmington
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  07:41:53 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is the bow-tie sweater from Schoolhouse Press. Just plain black sleeves, with a white cuff. I don't see any way around reknitting the sleeve (from the top down or from the bottom up) starting at that point. Sun exposure would make sense, but you would think Elann had a controlled environment. And although I have been working on the sweater for a year, I wouldn't think that could do it! Especially since I knit both sleeves at the same time. And they were last, so they went faster.

This is just weird.
Go to Top of Page

Knittnutt
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  09:26:05 AM  Show Profile Send Knittnutt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Florescent light will fade fabric, yarn and other things as well as sunlight does. You could re-knit the sleeve with both shades of black and alternate rows unless of course the shades are very noticeable. I would do this with a swatch first to see if you notice the difference before you go to all the work of ripping the sleeves out and starting over.
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  10:12:27 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once bought 2 skeins of sock yarn, same dye lot, very different colors. Made them up and gave them to my brother for Christmas one year. Never heard anything about them, of course, he and his wife rarely thank people for gifts anyway.
judy
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  10:15:39 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't it true black is the hardest colour to dye properly? I mean to get it properly saturated black with no colour. So it would fade the most easily. How about a little string of bows embroidered around the demarcation line, like a kite tail, to swirl a little bit up the arm to the seam? Or a beaded trim?
Go to Top of Page

Dian
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  11:29:15 AM  Show Profile Send Dian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have noticed with yarn that advertises "no dye lot" that if the yarn was dyed on two different days there is a difference in colors expecially in the whites. I have also noticed a difference in color when the yarn appears to have two different contents although it is suppose to be same. I suspect it is just carelessness on the dyers part but that seems to be the name of the game these days. Have no solutions other then the ones given.
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  10:40:07 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it a hand-dyed yarn?

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  1:01:52 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, it is a very nice wool and silk blend. I have put the sweater on the bed on the guestroom, and there it will stay. I started sewing it up on a Sunday, thinking I could wear it on Monday. Now I am going to be reknitting half a sleeve - on #5 needles, not a Sunday evening project!
I
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  8:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit pqpatch's Homepage Send pqpatch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once knitted a sweater with some red wool. Whenever I let the work sit for awhile and started to knit again, there was a line where I think the yarn must have stretched while it sat. I ended up putting it on cable needles and making sure when I took a break that the stitches were all on the cable not the needle. That was the only yarn that ever did that.

Patty

http://www.etsy.com/shop/twistedsticks?ref=si_shop
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.