Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Musk ox
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

U-519
Warming Up

Canada
54 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  09:06:22 AM  Show Profile Send U-519 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again everyone: Has anyone dealt with:

http://cottagecraftangora.com/#/musk-ox-yarns/4521339631

when looking for Musk ox? I have all the knitting gifts I need for this Christmas so ... I'm on the hunt for next Christmas. I think I found a site with Musk ox yarn but perhaps theirs is not as good as other sites or perhaps thier price is or is not good? Any advice is, as always, appreciated. Thank you in advance.

James Langford

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  12:28:38 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi again, James. You don't rest, do you? (:

I am no expert in Musk Ox yarn, but personally, I'd shy sway from the site you mention. The two most reputable sources of things quiviut (that I know of, others please chime in) are Windy Valley Musk Ox and Oomingmak Cooperative in Alaska (which does not sell yarn, only garments and kits--[edited to include "and kits"]).
To compare:
Windy Valley: 100% quiviut yarn; 218 yards; 28.3g; $98
CottageCraft: 100% quiviut yarn; 160 or 80-90 yards; 22g; $39

Also for comparison, Windy Valley sells a 45% quiviut/45% merino/10% silk blend same yardage and weight as the pure quiviut, for $60. (I think this is one that Clara Parkes highly recommended to me; definitely Windy Valley, not certain if it was this particular blend)

Quiviut is notoriously difficult and expensive to produce. The Oomingmak producers have been doing it for 30 years or more and are still trying to find the best conditions for their herd, from what I understand.

For $39, I would personally doubt that the yarn I was purchasing was indeed 100% quiviut. It may be very nice yarn; it may indeed contain quiviut. Maybe it really is 100% quiviut. If so, I would have questions about grade and guard hair removal. Maybe everyone else on this site has heard of them, and I'm an ignoramus.

Nevertheless, if I was looking for 100% quiviut, I would steer clear of this vender and choose one with a known reputation, regardless of the price. (If you're purchasing quiviut, you generally know you're going to be spending some money.)

I don't know of any other reputable quiviut producers besides Windy Valley and Oomingmak--[edited to include "and Oomingmak"] . Does anyone else? I would be curious to compare prices.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  1:08:16 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi! I've purchased from Windy Valley (lace weight) and the Co-op (hats, headbands-both already knit), both have great products. Sister-in-law lives in Palmer, AK and we visit almost every year. I would not recommend the hat kit from the co-op however. I purchased it several years ago and the quiviut is rougher than what is used in what they sell and I found that it was not enough for an adult head (only my opinion). The hats and headbands I bought are so warm I only use it way below 30 degrees farenheit.

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1932 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  8:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have knit with Jacques Cartier Qiviuk 2/14

It isn't 100% qiviut, and I do not know where they get their product. I won it in a drawing. But it was nice to work with. I ahve heard the Coop is very wonderful tho. I would most likely go thru them to get more qiviut.

Here is the link to the company that sells the Jacques Cartier Qiviuk 2/14:
http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/manufacturer-qiviukqiviut-c-21_25_262.html

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

terryknits2
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  07:35:27 AM  Show Profile Send terryknits2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used qiviut from Cottage Craft and it was delightful to work with and as wonderful as anything I've seen. And they will provide multiple plies if you want something a little heavier than lace weight.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  01:44:09 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished your Christmas Knitting gifts!!!! Starting on next years????
Good grief. I am just beginning to think if I could knit anything for christmas. Mind you, in Oz knitted things for Chrissy would be a bit odd because it is so hot here at Christmas time. But maybe a dishcloth or two .

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  9:05:34 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just spent a few weeks in Quebec, and yes, the Cottage Craft qiviut is legit. There are musk ox in the subarctic regions of the province.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  1:52:39 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Terryknits and Mokey, thanks for the info on the Cottage Craft. Very interesting! I wonder why it's so inexpensive in comparison to other quiviuts.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

U-519
Warming Up

Canada
54 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2012 :  05:12:47 AM  Show Profile Send U-519 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Robinstephanie, Mokey, Moogi, Terryknits, Purlewe and cpknits: I must confess, you leave me a little confused but nonetheless enlightened. When one experienced knitter warns against a seller it is hard to dismiss, even when a multitude of other experienced knitters commend the same site.
Fortunately, I have slightly less than a year to research and I was unaware of Jacques Cartier Qiviuk so I can see that I have more homework ahead. Splendid! I don't just buy gifts for my wife. I revell in finding just the right gifts. It makes shopping for her fun! I remember as a child, saving up my allowance to get my mother a perfume bottle (no perfume, just the bottle) I saw in the window of the corner smoke shop. She always kept it on her make-up table all those years. I think it must have cost under $5 but it was all I had. I just enjoy finding and getting the perfect little 'shiny thing', as Tom Waits might put it. (As an aside, I find the music of Tom Waits to be an acquired taste. At first, the sound struck me as preposterous but when I took the time to listen to the lyrics ... well, so many things just require taking the time.) Listen to me, lecturing knitters about taking the time.
Anyway ladies, a genuine pleasure talking with you and I thank you for your time and your kindness in sharing your expertise with me. It's time to check out a few of the sites suggested.

James Langford
Go to Top of Page

qiviut-queen
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  03:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit qiviut-queen's Homepage Send qiviut-queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the review ! We also offer the 100% magical qiviut in our 3ply, its a light fingering weight & lovely when knit on a 4.00mm- Us Size 6, wonderful for hats, mittens & even socks.
quote:
Originally posted by terryknits2

I have used qiviut from Cottage Craft and it was delightful to work with and as wonderful as anything I've seen. And they will provide multiple plies if you want something a little heavier than lace weight.

lorraine weston
Go to Top of Page

qiviut-queen
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  03:18:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit qiviut-queen's Homepage Send qiviut-queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason our 100% qiviut is less expensive is that the customer is paying ''Manufacturer price'' & not the marked up retail price that the shops do. Most of the shops take upto 150% profit on this yarn & some stores take even more than 150% profit so the customer ends up paying more than they should....its a simple as that !
quote:
Originally posted by robinstephanie

Terryknits and Mokey, thanks for the info on the Cottage Craft. Very interesting! I wonder why it's so inexpensive in comparison to other quiviuts.

Robinsteph

lorraine weston
Go to Top of Page

qiviut-queen
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  03:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit qiviut-queen's Homepage Send qiviut-queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How dare you suggest our 100% qiviut is not 100% pure. I fail to see how you can pass judgement on a yarn or company that you have never used !!! I can assure you our 100% qiviut is just that, we are known worldwide for our quality workmanship & spinning expertise. Our prices are so reasonable because we are the manufacturer of the yarn buying in the raw musk ox down direct from the Inuit & then retailing the finished yarns & knitwear direct to the customer. We have been in this business for 7 years now & have developed a reputation for quality using only the best & longest fibres of 3.5''inches in our pure qiviut lines. Our reputation is very important to us as we are processing for high profile customers such as the Canada Government & the Royal Baby Blanket we made for the Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge.
You need to get your facts right before telling my customers to ' shy away' from our company !!
quote:
Originally posted by robinstephanie

Hi again, James. You don't rest, do you? (:

I am no expert in Musk Ox yarn, but personally, I'd shy sway from the site you mention. The two most reputable sources of things quiviut (that I know of, others please chime in) are Windy Valley Musk Ox and Oomingmak Cooperative in Alaska (which does not sell yarn, only garments and kits--[edited to include "and kits"]).
To compare:
Windy Valley: 100% quiviut yarn; 218 yards; 28.3g; $98
CottageCraft: 100% quiviut yarn; 160 or 80-90 yards; 22g; $39

Also for comparison, Windy Valley sells a 45% quiviut/45% merino/10% silk blend same yardage and weight as the pure quiviut, for $60. (I think this is one that Clara Parkes highly recommended to me; definitely Windy Valley, not certain if it was this particular blend)

Quiviut is notoriously difficult and expensive to produce. The Oomingmak producers have been doing it for 30 years or more and are still trying to find the best conditions for their herd, from what I understand.

For $39, I would personally doubt that the yarn I was purchasing was indeed 100% quiviut. It may be very nice yarn; it may indeed contain quiviut. Maybe it really is 100% quiviut. If so, I would have questions about grade and guard hair removal. Maybe everyone else on this site has heard of them, and I'm an ignoramus.

Nevertheless, if I was looking for 100% quiviut, I would steer clear of this vender and choose one with a known reputation, regardless of the price. (If you're purchasing quiviut, you generally know you're going to be spending some money.)

I don't know of any other reputable quiviut producers besides Windy Valley and Oomingmak--[edited to include "and Oomingmak"] . Does anyone else? I would be curious to compare prices.

Robinsteph

lorraine weston
Go to Top of Page

qiviut-queen
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  03:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit qiviut-queen's Homepage Send qiviut-queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for being a customer James, we appreciate your business, please feel free to stop by our qiviut blog to enter into my monthly qiviut yarn & knitwear give awayswww.theqiviutblog.blogspot.com
quote:
Originally posted by U-519

Hello again everyone: Has anyone dealt with:

http://cottagecraftangora.com/#/musk-ox-yarns/4521339631

when looking for Musk ox? I have all the knitting gifts I need for this Christmas so ... I'm on the hunt for next Christmas. I think I found a site with Musk ox yarn but perhaps theirs is not as good as other sites or perhaps thier price is or is not good? Any advice is, as always, appreciated. Thank you in advance.

James Langford

lorraine weston
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  09:03:47 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Lorraine--My apologies for upsetting you. Please do note that in the post you mention, I state my ignorance and appeal to the others here at the site for their opinions on your yarn, which they offered. At that point, I felt I stood corrected. Since this conversation here, I have been aware your business is a legitimate business with a positive reputation. However, since part of the purpose of this site is ask, offer, and discuss our opinions, I felt it was appropriate of me to offer mine to James. He took all of our conversations under discussion when he purchased yarn from you, and the net result of this thread is a confirmation of your positive reputation.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

terryknits2
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2013 :  10:21:33 AM  Show Profile Send terryknits2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just checking in here again. Sounds like all is well that ends well. I for one am so, so happy with Cottage Craft quiviut as they have made this wonderful yarn affordable for me. I am in the process of making a cardigan (Old Town) out of their 3-ply hand dyed version.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

U-519
Warming Up

Canada
54 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  05:49:05 AM  Show Profile Send U-519 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again:
Oh my, I seem to have stirred up a bit of an issue, unwittingly. If it helps to appease, I should add that the qiviut I ordered for last Christmas from Cottage Craft was a delight. My wife was elated, as was I with her response. Indeed, she has finished two hats and some 'wristlets' and she LOVES the quality of the yarn. She claims that it is now her favorite yarn, over angora and cashmere. But I'll keep looking for something better every year! I am still curious about Buffalo Gold. The Yak and camel blend I got her was a minor disappointment but it was certainly pleasant in the context of trying something new. I'm always on the look out. And she has a few more DyakCraft needles in her Christmas stocking for this year. The pearl yarn was also a pleasing gift but she seems to be falling behind and hasn't knit it yet. I think I can still just see the top of her head protruding from the pile of yarn over in the corner and I can barely discern the sound of needles clicking away so I know she is still conscious. Merry Christmas everyone! Just one month left to avoid the mad rush.

James Langford
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2013 :  05:56:37 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it not time for tea party? I have some freshly baked cookies to bring. And, maybe if we are lucky we can have a comeback of Cabana Boys?

Kristina
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?