Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 What is the matter with me?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  7:20:16 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was doing so good! Stash down and wips down and then all of a sudden I notice the stash is down but now I have yarn for scarves, so all of a sudden I am on a scarf starting kick. I was so good and now 13 wips, 6 of them scarves. NO MORE till I finish something and then a couple of hats. I have yarn enough for some hats as well as scarves. I feel like scarves don't take that long so I am working on 3 at once. 12 rows and switch projects. I have to quit looking at patterns. NO more scarves, no more scarves, no more scarves. No more new projects till some of the existing are done.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

ClaireG
Seriously Hooked

602 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  1:12:55 PM  Show Profile Send ClaireG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are they all the same style or do they have something different in each one of them? I read your posting and I was laughing because I do the same with Hats and mittens but allways seem to use the same pattern.
I just started a cowl and forgot that I need three pairs of mittens for this weekend.
Claire
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  4:50:27 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh no all diff patterns and yarn. I am constantly being suduced by new patterns.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  5:26:55 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's nothing wrong with you. You are just passionate about your knitting.
judy
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  6:15:53 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zola, I took your temperature and checked the dipstick. There's nothing wrong with you. You're a normal knitter!

(I thought I was going good, and then I went to Knitting Lab and Bazaar Bizarre, and suddenly I have more roving than I have space to put it in.)

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  04:39:43 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zola, I have to tell you what my sister told me. She said I was sick and then ask me for another scarf in a different color. I go thru Raverly every day looking at the patterns. I have a three ring binder with tabs for each subject. If I get some special yarn I don't go thru the patterns that I have first, I have to look for a special one. I nice that I'm with so many like myself. Donna
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  4:33:23 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robin thanks for cking and Donna it is always nice to know I am not alone. I think what happens is I see a pattern and a scarf is a quick way to work the pattern without getting too involved. All of a
sudden there seems to be sooooo many beautiful patterns both with and without beads.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Gibson Girl
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  4:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gibson Girl's Homepage Send Gibson Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, count me among you. I went to the local shop just to get more stitch holders (that's a sign you have too many wip!) I recited to myself all the way there that I would not buy the lovely gray wool I saw there on my last visit. But you know the answer, right? Don't have a pattern. But it will look fabulous with my gray hair, right? The shop owner assured me it was the right thing to do. Dona Watk you ARE crazy - tabs and binders? Way too organized for me. I just saunter into the yarn closet and grab a pile of books for an evening's entertainment.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  7:36:22 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have binders. One for sweaters, one for shawls, scarves, socks, misc info., dishcloths,gloves/mittens. That way all I do is pick up a binder and it has all the patterns.

What I find interesting is one yr I am into browns, the next greens then the next grey.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  01:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is nothing wrong with you, your normal. I always have left over yarn, from projects. I will be starting to use it all up for scarves and hats, in February.

January is my major change the house around to set up my "private" knitting/tv/sewing/spinning room. I am getting a new huge double hung window that I can take the glass out of to get a new very large couch into the house! My new room will be soooo comfortable.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  10:01:02 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shalee, that sounds wonderful I am full of envy. I used to have a
craft room but in our condo there isn't the room so I have my little
knitting corner.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  09:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zola, I agree with the others: you're definitely a normal knitter with a case of what the Yarn Harlot calls 'Start-itis'. Just before Christmas is a vulnerable time -- as is year end. We all simply have to start something new! With me, it's socks. Naturally I was thrilled at Christmas to have my daughter commission a pair as a gift for a friend's February birthday. This legitimized the fact that my fingers were itching to start a new pair of socks, given that my Christmas knitting was finished.

So...the remedy? Keep going and have fun!

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  09:40:54 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? Year end is a vulnerable time? I like that. It explains the three skeins and 4 oz roving from Twisted Fiber Arts. And the two skeins from Little Red Wagon. And my almost irresistible urge to visit Lisa Souza for some Llasa cashmere. When the mail comes, I'll tell my boyfriend, "The end of the year is a vulnerable time for knitters!"

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  8:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lest you doubt, check out today's post from the Yarn Harlot: http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2012/01/05/annually_apparently.html. She's been stricken too!

TLWKOTB
http://www.margaretblank.com
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  03:42:09 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Binders? I'm up to SEVEN. I've tried to quit printing out/buying every pattern I like on Ravelry, and simply mark it as a favorite. Sometimes, however, those patterns are no longer available when you want them a year later, sooooo.... I guess I should keep printing them.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  7:22:55 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is cracking me up!

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  7:50:37 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is my daughter all over. She buys wool in bits and pieces and is always knitting things like hats and gloves and novelty items. She just blogged about her UFOs (relliurad.blogspot.com) Our LYS has been selling off old stock at $2 per 50gm ball. We raced in as soon as we heard. I sniff at her because she is frivolous the way she buys yarn. Two or three balls. I am serious about it. My purchases are not to be sniffed at. I bought it in packets of ten balls and came away with about 60 balls of the stuff. I wonder who has the bigger problem? If she says anything to me about it I remind her that if I do not get it all knitted before I die, she will inherit my stash. That fixes her.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  08:48:53 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I"m sure glad I started this thread. I am really enjoying reading
all the comments. I am feeling much better. Grand-moogi, I loved
your comment. I tried to stay out of yarn stores in 2011, but if
I continue on I might be able to return in 2012.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  12:37:09 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always imagine that one day I will get old - well I am getting there now - and then I won't have enough money to buy yarn so then I will have no choice but to knit the stash. I will be glad of it then because if I do not have yarn put aside I will not be able to knit.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  05:12:42 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, if I look at a staff as a knitting retirement fund, my guilt will go completely away and I can buy, buy, buy!

thanks Grandmoogi!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  3:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd heard every possible justification for oversize stashes, but Grand-moogi, I think that's the best one yet. I love it! Yes, that's why I need a ginormous stash, too - so I'm certain that I'll have plenty of yarn to keep me company in my old age. I'm having a case of "second slipper syndrome" - my old slippers are quickly wearing out, and I decided to make new ones for myself from stash instead of buying a pair of expensive slippers. Well, all was progressing nicely - I started with a basic pattern from EZ, decided that it needed an insole, knitted that in & put stuffing in it for padding, decided on thrumming instead of fair isle, make some shaping adjustments to better accommodate my freakish feet, and finished the prototype (a/k/a first slipper). I like it, and it's soft, warm & comfy, but I have absolutely no interest in making another one like it. I've gone back to the cardigan I was working on before. At least I haven't started yet another project, but I have enough WIPs to keep me occupied for, oh, a year or so without touching the rest of my stash if I opted to finish them all. Yes, it's just part of knitting!

Wendy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.54 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.