Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Dyak service extrordinaire
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

U-519
Warming Up

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  04:08:49 AM  Show Profile Send U-519 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone:
I thought I should make everyone here aware that the needles that I ordered on November 11th, for my wife from Dyak Craft for Christmas, arrived on the 23rd of December, the last possible day of mail delivery before Christmas. I was told initially that delivery by Christmas was doubtful but they would do their best ... and it appears they did!
In short, the service at Dyakcraft is exceptional. As well, I requested that they do what they could to circumvent any delay with Customs (I suspect orders over $50 are more subject to delay) and Dyakcraft did all they could to assist Santa in his rounds!
To those wonderful people at Dyakcraft I am indebted. It is an immense pleasure to discover outstanding service in 2012. For my wife and myself, I thank those at DYAKCRAFT once again and wish them and the Knitter's Review group the Merriest of Christmases! I never would have known about the custom made needles from DYAKCRAFT without the kindness of the Knitter's Review group. Again, outstanding!

James Langford

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  09:26:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is simply thrilling to hear, James! And kudos to you, doing this research to get your wife the finest knitting tools. I hope that both of you have a most joyous Christmas and a fruitful and healthy New Year filled with warm, comforting hand knits.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  2:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Merry Christmas to a very good husband and his wife! I'm sure she really, really appreciates you!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2595 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2011 :  10:30:53 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just saying, I ordered from Dyakcraft at the beginning of September and was told in mid-December (3 months later!) that I would not get my needles for awhile. They wouldn't even give me an expected ship date. Guess you said the magic words, U-519! Kudos to you - I hope your wife enjoys all the wonderful gifts.

Meanwhile, I will add Dyakcraft to my list of companies to watch - when the hysteria dies down, I may go back and check them out, but this order will be my last until then. Waiting this long for needles just doesn't make sense to me. I don't care how great they are. Kind of like the "hot" yarns of a couple years ago. Now, you can go to some of those websites, just order what you want, and wow - you get the product! No waiting in front of your computer for the magic moment to try to get your order in within the 30 second window before all product disappears.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  6:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered needles in September and am still waiting; I paid for them when I ordered them, via PayPal I DID order two custom-sized circulars plus some double points, but I really expected to have them by now. They will have to be REALLY SUPERIOR for me to wait this long again.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

mjhealy
Warming Up

67 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2012 :  07:09:42 AM  Show Profile Send mjhealy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto for me. Ordered (and paid..) for a circular set in early October and was told 12 weeks. When I saw U-519 post, I emailed them thinking they'd missed my order and Linda responded that they filled August orders around Christmas. She said mid-January for September orders and "increasing production after that". Makes me wonder if I should have paid up front. I've heard such great things about the needles, but the waiting and uncertainty is taking some of the charm off. Wish I didn't know that some people jumped the line.
Go to Top of Page

mjhealy
Warming Up

67 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2012 :  07:34:35 AM  Show Profile Send mjhealy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just checked their website. Here's the latest news.

quote:

Invoices and emails
Posted by Linda Diak at 17:37, January 10th 2012.

We finally have our invoicing system working - and a huge backlog to enter. We ask for your patience in terms of responding to your queries and order acknowledgments. We are working as diligently as we possibly can to get through what is an enormous back log of requests and correspondence, not to mention entering nearly 6 months of orders into the system. If you have an open order with us, you will be receiving an email with details of your order and a new sales order number. It is going to take some time and some doing on our part to get these all entered - the email will come!

If you are inquiring about the status of an order, we are on August. We expect to be finished with it very soon.
Go to Top of Page

suecq
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  09:06:13 AM  Show Profile Send suecq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered Dyak needles on August 19 and just got notice that they will be mailed on Monday, January 23rd. This is my second set and I can say that they are well worth the wait.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2595 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  05:51:04 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update: Last night I emailed the Dyaks and asked for a full refund, which I received this morning via PayPal. I had waited more than 5 months for my order (with no indication of when it would ship), and I just felt that it was wrong. Wrong way to do business, keeping customer money for so long without filling orders. I just could no longer justify the wait for the needles, even though I suspect that the early September orders have got to be shipping soon.

I have a bit of sympathy for them - the great reviews overwhelmed them, but still, I also think it is bad business practice to keep customer money for 5+ months (and counting), and not be willing to even say when product will ship. And when I step back from the hype, it's a knitting needle! Handcrafted, I know, but still, it's a knitting needle. I really cannot think of anything in my life, other than my children, for which I have waited over 5 months!

I certainly understand the other point of view - it's a beautiful instrument that one will have for a long time. I just don't want to participate in it anymore.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  08:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Anderknit, you did what I was tempted to do, although I've decided to stick it out (mine were ordered in September). I'm not begrudging anyone for receiving an order in time for a Christmas gift, but I certainly had hoped to have my needles in time to knit Christmas gifts with them!

I'm sure Mr. Langford meant only the best by praising the service, but it really did rub me the wrong way since I had ordered my needles earlier. I'd probably not have given the long wait much thought had it not been for this enlightenment. I'll report when I receive them.

I certainly do expect some fantastic tools!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

sew2knit
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  11:32:13 AM  Show Profile Send sew2knit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I was relieved to see that others have been disappointed with the service/correspondence from Dyak. I ordered some needles back in September, heard nothing for months, then received an update about their new system and "working on August" back in January. Meanwhile, they have had my money and I ended up buying other needles for my projects. Anderknit's post convinced me that it was time to move on after waiting 28 weeks and I have also requested a full refund. While I understand this is a small business and the items are handmade, I don't like the idea that they have had my money for greater than 6 months with no ship date in sight, and evidently also fulfilled orders placed after mine. I have definitely lost my excitement and anticipation for these needles.

sew2knit
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  1:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... still waiting for mine, and doubt they will be any better than the two sets (different sizes) of Hiya Hiya interchangeable bamboo needles I have ordered since the beginning of the year. But they will be an addition to my needle collection, so I still want them. Surely they will arrive this month.

Ha, I know we are overly accustomed to instant gratification nowadays; I used to wonder what happened to the excitement of "anticipation." But this is a bit much.

Go to Top of Page

Prairiemoon
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  7:02:29 PM  Show Profile Send Prairiemoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am still waiting on the ones I ordered in October. The excitement has dimmed by now. Some days I wonder if they will ever show up and whether I will even care by then.
Go to Top of Page

Jaknit
Seriously Hooked

639 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  3:23:38 PM  Show Profile Send Jaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prairiemoon, I had ordered a set of Dyakcraft needles last September 14th and received them on March 23rd. Believe me, the needles are well worth the wait. The needles are so smooth! The cables are very fine and flexible. I especially love the swivel join of the cable to the needle. I do hope that you receive your needles soon.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

birdgirl
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  06:18:12 AM  Show Profile Send birdgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This situation has entered the realm of oops they've gone and closed the door type of sad story. To fill orders out of order is something You just do not do to paying customers. I placed an order recently and have not received a confirmation email. I did not prepay and I'm glad I didn't. My hope is that they will get it together, maybe get some good talent to help with production and get caught up?

As a result of the delays involved I am purchasing Knitters Pride Dreamz in the 3 1/2 length and I have not had a single problem with the quality. I even have a lys that carries this line and will special order for me. And since they cost less I can buy more yarn now!
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  11:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
UPDATE ... today (June 25, 2012) I received my order from DyakCraft: three sets of circulars ordered in September 2011 and one set of double-points (not custom) added to my order in October 2011. There evidently was a problem with understanding my original request, despite several e-mail "discussions" at the time of the September order to make certain of all the details, and my order was set aside and fell through the cracks, so to speak. It turns out they were not able to make what I originally requested, although I still don't really understand why.

That said, the needles are truly beautiful, and I do like knitting with luxury tools. However, after running my fingers over them (I have NOT knit with them yet), I really cannot imagine their being better than my HiyaHiya or Addi bamboo circulars; I guess time and use will tell. I doubt I will order from this company again ... not because the price is too high or that the needles aren't truly a work of art, but because of the time element.

IF, after knitting with these, I find I'm wrong and that they ARE worth the wait, I'll certainly let you know!

Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  5:25:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another update ... I have been knitting with my Darn Pretty needles and they really are fine instruments and feel wonderful in my hands. I did not consider the price to be prohibitive, so they were certainly more than worth the money. But worth the 9-month-wait? No way. When and if the company finds a way to speed things up, I will probably order more, but not until I hear that production is going much faster.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe