Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Favorite sock yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mo54
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  12:06:03 PM  Show Profile Send mo54 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is your favorite sock yarn.....I like self striping myself, but am wondering where the best online shopping is.

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  6:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are very few sock yarns I don't like, but I always buy mine at local yarn stores. I like to feel the yarn and see the actual, real life colors.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  5:51:17 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also like the self-striping yarns. I almost always buy mine locally, but find theknitter.com, simplysocks.com, and littleknits.com excellent sources on line for sock yarn with very good customer service.
judy
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

697 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  06:02:41 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually buy Opal Uni for socks, and you can find this brand on line at Totto's in Santa Fe. This yarn wears very well. Yesterday I did cast on a pair of Oak Ribbed Socks ( see Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush) in Crazy Zauberball and I really like the way the self- striping is working out. WEBS has this brand. I just hope it will hold up as well as Opal. A couple of months ago we had a discussion about yarns we like and hate. You might find this interesting. Look for this thread under Sock Forum.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

mangokiwi
Chatty Knitter

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  09:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit mangokiwi's Homepage Send mangokiwi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Koigu is my absolute favorite! Of course there are other ones that are very high on the list, such as Sundara...

Check out my blog!
http://knitting-fun.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  08:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love self-striping, it's so much fun watching the stripes form and it makes plain sock knitting more fun.

I like Opal, Regia and Knit Picks.

My knitting & crafts blog is here: http://www.spindyeknitlove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Rimfrost
New Pal

Sweden
5 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  11:54:13 AM  Show Profile Send Rimfrost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get very happy when I see some yarn names (Opal, Regia and Zauberball) that I can get my hands on here in Sweden! Im so envious of all Americans that have such a broad variety to choose from!! Ive knitted with Opal, solid and Continents and liked them a lot. The Zauberball - I really liked the knitting part, but as it is spun singles, the heels worn out in notime... Wont do that again...
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1797 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  9:59:32 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Lorna's Laces sock yarn, both self-striped and color-shaded.

Isn't it great that there are so many to choose from?

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  12:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a sock yarn junkie. I can never pass it up when I'm in a LYS or a festival or...whatever. If they had it at the hardware store, I'd have to get it. I love all the self-striping ones, too! I love the excitement and anticipation of seeing what color is coming next (I don't get out much). I haven't had a bad experience with any of them, although I do prefer the sock yarns that have nylon.

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  6:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, prefer the sock yarns that have a bit of nylon, but I really haven't had any yarns designated "sock yarn" that have disappointed me, except for LL Solemate (not the results, just the handling of it). Socks are one of my favorite things to knit and I have made many a pair. I think often the disappointing results some knitters have is more due to knitting at too loose a gauge for socks than because of the yarn itself.

In the beginning, I was enamored of the self-striping and patterned yarns, and bought many brands in bright colors. But now I prefer solids or monochromes or the "almost" solids ... I don't tire of those nearly as quickly as the bright patterns, and they seem more versatile (to me).

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Christine diaz
New Pal

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  2:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Christine diaz a Yahoo! Message Send Christine diaz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love to use Bamboo yarn for my socks. It's soft and hard wearing. I normally use a smaller needle than the pattern calls for by .25 and I do the foot part a little shorter than when using other yarns.
Go to Top of Page

Lynn60
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  11:54:06 AM  Show Profile Send Lynn60 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished my 3rd pair of Scotch Mule Pattern socks and used Paton 's Classic worsted in "Mist color. The pattern looks deceiving hard and difficult, but is surprisingly easy, I should know I CAN"T FOLLOW A PATERN. I followed this one and I love it.I guess 3 pairs????:)
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  11:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, Lynn, lace and a short row heel! You under-estimate yourself!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  06:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spirit Trail Sunna, all the way. The silk feels much nicer to me than a nylon strand, and the colors are always gorgeous.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

mcknitty
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  07:34:00 AM  Show Profile Send mcknitty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try theloopyewe.com - wonderful online site, and I've bought a lot of sock yarn :D
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  4:48:18 PM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Lorna's Laces and Koigu.

~Rena~
The only place that housework comes before knitting is in the dictionary!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe