Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Hats, Gloves, and Mittens
 Clara's Shoemaker's Hat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  09:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about you folk, but Clara certainly had me pegged. Up here where winter hats (generally toques) are an absolute necessity, I've been 'getting by' with one made me by a friend (from the sleeve of an old tee-shirt), one given me by a friend (a memento of his home on Skye) and an old one crocheted me at least 20 years ago by my sister! I did make myself a wee hat once, but it's more decorative than functional. So...I'm definitely going to give this one a try!

TLWKOTB
http://www.margaretblank.com

peggymchoe
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  11:00:54 AM  Show Profile Send peggymchoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the pattern! I wish more hat patterns went this way (top down). It would save me a lot of false starts and swatching!
Go to Top of Page

daquiet
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  11:20:02 AM  Show Profile Send daquiet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year!!
I was overjoyed when I open one of my Christmas presents and found a few skeins of yarn from Quince & Co (had it on my top 3 list). I will use one for the Shoemaker's Hat. Thanks so much for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

698 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  12:46:11 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just back from my LYS with a skein of plump, chunky, singel ply, wool/lama blend Cascade Yarn in a shade of claret. I will be ready to cast on the Shoemaker's Hat as soon as the second sock is off the needles. Tomorrow afternoon with any luck.
Thanks for the pattern Clara. A good start to the knitting season! And, while I was in the yarn store I also signed up for a class in double knitting in February.
Go to Top of Page

WinSip
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  5:13:03 PM  Show Profile Send WinSip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have knit and crocheted hats before but always for someone else. I decided this is the one for me!! Thanks for sharing the pattern.
Go to Top of Page

mhstuart@maine.rr.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  5:34:33 PM  Show Profile Send mhstuart@maine.rr.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great looking pattern. I've been having fun this fall with the Weekend Hats book from Interweave press. Cecily Glowik MacDonald and Melissa LaBarre have collected 25 fun hats, many of them top down. I have done three so far and I'm working on a fourth. I used Quince Chickadee on the welted toque so now I have a reason to try the Puffin.
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  8:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
P.S. I'm just casting on now (almost 12 hours after my original post!! ) -- using Elann Peruvian Highland Chunky in Forest Green Heather (and yes, it's from my stash! ) Also using 6 mm dpns because I don't have any 6.5 mm ones and I can't wait till I can go into town to get some!

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4377 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  04:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this pattern! I don't have any chunky yarn in my stash, but I'm going to cast on with worsted and knit until the hat fits me. Thank you, Clara!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

698 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  05:13:45 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, this is a very fast and easy pattern! I'm almost done only one day after cast on. That is a record for me.

KK
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  3:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know; I'm on the brim already!

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

393 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  4:00:32 PM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I downloaded the pattern yesterday and went right to my LYS. There was no chunky in my stash so I bought a skein, came home, and cast on. What a fun pattern. Thanks, Clara!
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

698 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  4:18:15 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is my result on Flickr.

--kk

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kkknitter/
Go to Top of Page

dothead
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
537 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  4:51:23 PM  Show Profile Send dothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is going on my needles next. I just happen to have one skein of chunky purple yarn in my stash.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  10:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first hat's finished and looks great -- but it's too small for me! I think, given the materials I have (lots of the yarn, but only 6 mm needles), I'll cast on another and add about 4 stitches. That should do it.

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

amosellie
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  04:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit amosellie's Homepage Send amosellie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Clara, for this fun pattern! Making it in Cascade Eco Cloud and it is for ME!!! What a great way to start the year!

Amosellie
www.antiqueclocksandysprings.com
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

393 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  10:38:36 AM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My hat looks great and was super easy. I used Cascade Covington in deep lake and love the color changes. Thanks again, Clara.
Go to Top of Page

Marie E
Chatty Knitter

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  4:23:16 PM  Show Profile Send Marie E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love this pattern. Using Debbie Bliss-baby cashmerino with size 3 needles, for granddaughter.

Marie E NC
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?