Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Removing Twist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

UltraRider06
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  03:38:32 AM  Show Profile Send UltraRider06 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good Morning and thank you in advance.

Two questions: First, How do you remove the twist in circular needles? Second, when measuring, do you measure from tip to tip or the length of the plastic string?

I tried soaking the cord in hot water, but the twist is still there. Directions would be so appreciated. I anxiously await a reply. Im on hold until.......

UltraRider06 aka Bob

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  05:01:41 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only way I know to remove the twist is to hang them up so the twist hangs out. On the other hand I have learned to take advantage of the twist. When you are knitting with them you can twist the needles round to put the cirlce of plastic cord in a different direction. You will find a direction that is easier to manage. This is hard to explain. When you are knitting, try twisting the right hand needle around inside the stitches and you will see that the plastic loop swings up and over or down and under. Try knitting with the loop in different positions, You will find some are quite comfortable while others fight you.
I think the measurement is tip to tip.
But why do you need to know this?

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

UltraRider06
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  08:12:16 AM  Show Profile Send UltraRider06 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hello Grand Moogie and Thank you!!

Ive noticed that most circular needle patterns state "16in, 24in," etc. Since I make my own needles, both straight and now circular, Im thinking a one size fits all. I may be wrong, but in short time I will find out.
I also will give it some time and play with the plastic string to see if I can find that comfortable spot. thank you again!!!
UltraRider aka Bob
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  04:39:11 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The length depends on how wide the circle is. Obviously if you are knitting a jumper (sweater)for a large man you will need a longer circular than if you are knitting it for a small child.
If the circular is too long then the stitches have to stretch to go around the needle. And if you tried to knit a large item on a small circular, the stitches would be horribly bunched up.
But ---- you make your own needles? That is really interesting. How do you make them? And how will you get the plastic cord to attach without making a ridge that the wool will catch on all the time?

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?