Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 One + One: Scarves, Shawls & Shrugs by Iris Schrei
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carol Metzger
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  5:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carol Metzger's Homepage  Send Carol Metzger a Yahoo! Message Send Carol Metzger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the yarns are very yummy. But am I the only one who remebers pattern leaflets made by yarn manufacturers to sell their yarns? It bugs me to call these things "books." Nothing personal, I like and admire Iris Schreier. I once taught a class (with her permission and encouragement) of one of her patterns. But a book, to me, should be more than a collection of patterns, it should be an education. And these spectacular yarns, at $40-50 a skein, are a hefty investment.

That off my chest, I really loved working with the Supermerino 8 once upon a time. Like buttah!

http://cfmdesigns.net/

irissch
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  10:19:33 AM  Show Profile Send irissch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Carol, I actually teach some of my most interesting techniques through the projects I've included in this book.
The Diamond Lace Shawl, for example, uses a technique I call Short Row Lace, to alternate 2 colors of yarn continuously and seamlessly (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/diamond-lace-wrap-2). I gave classes on this project at Vogue Knitting Live, and will be teaching it next weekend at the Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Festival.
The mobius project I included uses my long-tail mobius cast on, which I teach in the Basics section (this was also in my book Reversible Knits).
I use a Faux Entrelac technique to create the Diamond Spiral (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/diamond-spiral)
And the Romantic Jabot Collar (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/romantic-jabot-collar) uses center increase triangles followed by center decrease triangles (all in short rows) to create these bumps in the knitting that are not really bobbles since they are triangle-shaped.
Anyway, these are just a few examples of the dozen projects which I contributed to the book that I think contain more interesting techniques than perhaps meet the eye. This is definitely not just a yarn pattern book. Hopefully you'll see that for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  2:00:30 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is what is so wonderful about this forum.
Carol gave a opinion and Iris answered. Now Carol can disagree but she knows why Iris considers this book a
education in diff techniques using diff patterns.
Thanks to both of you for your opinion.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  8:08:00 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Iris, for responding. I can't wait to see your book - when will it become available?

Jan
Go to Top of Page

irissch
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  8:54:30 PM  Show Profile Send irissch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It should be shipping any day...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?