Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Family / personal / health issues
 Cheap refrigerator...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  2:53:56 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... in quality, anyway.

I loved my Maytag french door refrigerator that I got 5 1/2 years ago. Yep, you know what's coming - this morning, I went to get something from it, and it smelled "funny". I pulled out the freezer drawer, and the ice bin was full of water. It was 50 degrees in the entire unit. The repair guy came out, kept shaking his head and then apologized because it needs a new compressor. The cost of this little part is $725, and then add labor to that!

I'm not having a good day. (I also ran out of red Cash Vero 2 inches before the end of a hat.)

The funny thing is, we had the 4 year extended warranty, which added to the manufacturer's 1 year, means it ran out last July. Luckily, we have a 30 year old fridge in the garage that we can use for the interim. I'm just so frustrated that appliances (and so much else!) are made so cheaply. The price-per-year-of-use is ridiculous!

Feel free to offer sympathy - a pity party of one is not satisfying.

Jan

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  5:07:12 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have my sympathy. I have a side-by-side that I absolutely hate. What you want to bet that thing runs from now on.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  12:27:14 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The legal definition of "durable goods" in the united states are goods that last three years. Three years. That means that businesses purposely create their business plans based on goods that are made to crap out directly after the warranty, on purpose, so you'll have to throw it away and get a new one. It's got a name. It's called "planned obsolescence". It's one of my favorite curse words and personally, I think it should be a crime.

Thanks. I'll get off my soapbox now. This subject--not the fridges in particular, just things made cheaply on purpose--just fries my goose. The waste!

Jan, on a personal note, I'm so sorry to hear about your fridge. Isn't it funny you've got a 30-year-old spare, still running!? They may use a metric ton of energy, but they were built to last. Hope you're up and running again soon.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

sherrya
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  6:47:02 PM  Show Profile Send sherrya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You definately have my sympathy - extra frustrating that it went on the fritz right after the warrenty ran out. But ironic that the 30-year old model is still up and running. Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  04:26:10 AM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The man who came to repair our dryer commented that both our washer and our dryer, both purchased new in 1986, are much better quality than anything we could buy today and it's well worth repairing both of them as long as we can. Sad commentary on today's quality. (Agreeing with Robinstephanie!)

sja
Go to Top of Page

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  1:06:54 PM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe Maytag has picked up roots and moved their operations out of the country. I don't remember how long ago.
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  4:00:49 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting information:

There are only a limited number a major appliance manufacturers left in the marketplace. Over the years, the big ones have bought up the smaller ones and merged those product designs into their own product lines. They now produce products under the various brand names they own.

See this link for the list http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  6:11:24 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have my sympathy exponentially. I am so disgusted with how poorly made appliances are these days.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  9:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm worried that my fridge, freezer and stackable washer dryer will all die together. We purchased them when we bought the house in 2003! The fridge we got does not have a freezer in it - on purpose! I make my ice cubes on the top shelf of my upright freezer. At least that is one thing that can't go wrong with my fridge.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe