Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Fleegle Heel vs Strong Heel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  10:26:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are not the Fleegle Heel and the Strong Heel very similar, if not the same? I'm ready to make a pair of socks trying one of these methods and I'd appreciate comparisons and observations from those of you who have done one or both of these. My socks are always top-down, using Magic Loop.

How about reinforcing such heels? Any thoughts there? Has anyone made these socks using a regular "heel stitch" down the center back of the heel area?

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)

Coolj
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  6:53:37 PM  Show Profile Send Coolj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've made loads of toe-up socks with the Fleegle Heel. I've never heard of the Strong Heel but will look it up now. I'm sold on the Fleegle because it's so blooming easy, and there are no stitches to pick up. I don't worry about reinforcing; I'd just make another pair if one wore out.
Go to Top of Page

Deborah Tomasello
Warming Up

58 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  05:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Deborah Tomasello's Homepage Send Deborah Tomasello a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh! No there are two heels I know nothing about! What's a Fleegle heel and/or a strong heel? I have to go hunt for descriptions! I more I learn about knitting, the more I realize i don't know about knitting. And i can't possibly live long enough to learn it all!!!
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  08:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deborah, I don't know if the Strong heel (named for its designer, Gerdine Crawford-Strong) is available online; I have the instructions in the Roman Rib Socks from The Little Box of Socks. But the Fleegle heel (which also can be made top down), instructions can be found here: http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/leegles-toe-up-no-flap-no-hassle-sock.html

The pictures I've seen of the fleegle heel on top-down socks look very much like the picture of the heel on the Roman Rib Socks, which are top-down. Basically, from the way I read the instructions, instead of picking up stitches on the sides of a heel flap and then decreasing where the gusset meets the instep, the heels are knit around with the entire sock, having an INCREASE line that looks similar to the decrease line on a heel flap sock. The heel turn is much wider than on the flap heel, and that is where the stitches are decreased back to the original number.

I don't see why I can't make this heel with the slipped-stitch "heel stitch," just switching to that pattern on the center back of the heel down to the turn.

This year will be the year of the sock for me, and I'm experimenting with different heels to see if I prefer another over the heel flap (which I love for the fit, the feel, the look and the durability).

Coolj, I'm glad to hear you like your fleegle heels ... I've begun a new sock, but am still on the leg and not quite down to the heel yet.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  8:40:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha ... I found .pdf instructions for the Strong heel! Check this location http://fibercampboston.pbworks.com/f/Strong+Heel+Instructions.pdf to print out for yourself.

I am in the middle of basic socks right now using the Strong heel for the first time, and the increase rows do look nice. I'm assuming the wear should be about equal to that for an afterthought heel or a short-row heel.

Go to Top of Page

Deborah Tomasello
Warming Up

58 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  12:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Deborah Tomasello's Homepage Send Deborah Tomasello a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful! Thanks for the research!
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  4:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished my socks with the Strong heel, if anyone wants to see how this heel looks:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/OkieDokieKnitter/basic-strong-heel-socks

It feels and fits really nice; will have to see how it wears.

Go to Top of Page

knottyknittershop
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  09:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit knottyknittershop's Homepage Send knottyknittershop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank so much for the links everyone.

D Salazar
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.