Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Desert Island Stash
 Touching base about the eternal question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Esther Knits
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  4:44:05 PM  Show Profile Send Esther Knits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a hard one...there are so many... but mainly wool and wool blends (with alpaca and/or silk) that are somewhat rustic and not superwash. Right now I'm working with Malabrigo Worsted and Twist. The Worsted is an all time favorite... I'll put up with pilling and use my trusty sweater shaver any day for that soft buttery loveliness. (I could go on and on about other yarns, but I'd better not.)

Esther (on Ravelry: MirabellesGrandma)
Go to Top of Page

carlyta
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  5:28:23 PM  Show Profile Send carlyta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alpaca Yarn. I love the feel of this yarn while I'm knitting and crocheting with it. I also like the way it feels when I'm rolling it into balls.

Carlyta
Go to Top of Page

Pirie
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  6:47:07 PM  Show Profile Send Pirie a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Malabrigo Malabrigo Malabrigo
Go to Top of Page

redmolly
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  7:37:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit redmolly's Homepage Send redmolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pirie

Malabrigo Malabrigo Malabrigo

My sentiments exactly. I am a true Malabrigo junkie and knit with almost nothing else. If I had to choose, I'd say the lace is my favorite, although Silky Merino is in the running too.
Go to Top of Page

Jessica-Jean
New Pal

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  01:25:05 AM  Show Profile Send Jessica-Jean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite yarn is one
... whose skeins/hanks/balls/cones have NO knots.
... which doesn't split easily.
... which feels nice both while knitting and after washing.
... which doesn't cost a fortune.
... which is durable over time and use.

I love fuzzy and smooth yarns.
I love cheapo synthetics and costly naturals.
I love super fine cobweb yarns and super chunky yarns.
I love every colour under the rainbow, especially if it's a variegated yarn with every colour OF the rainbow! (Technically black is not a colour of the rainbow, so I'm allowed to dislike it - or at least dislike working with it.)

Each project is a new experience, even if it's the same pattern I've already done a few times, or a few dozen times.

In short, I've yet to encounter any single yarn that I can claim as my overall favourite.
Go to Top of Page

pdtink
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  04:53:56 AM  Show Profile Send pdtink a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy knitting with Madeline Tosh anything. But I have to add that I enjoy almost all yarns. After all I doing something I love to do....knit
Go to Top of Page

cawelsh
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  08:27:57 AM  Show Profile Send cawelsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite yarns are from farms that raise specific breeds, have their fleeces spun at US or Canada spinnerys, do their own dyeing, or leave the yarns natural. I have my own yarns from my own flock, now gone, and knit with those yarns, but love experimenting with other farm raised yarns, and spinning farm raised rovings. I don't buy many commercial yarns, not that they aren't beautiful, but I love knowing where the fiber originated, the breed of sheep, or specific blend of wool to other natural fibers. And I like supporting farm raised products, I know how much work it is, and the care that usually goes into the product.

Fortunately, I have enough yarn and roving to last me a lifetime, but cannot resist trying someone else's yarn or roving. Recently purchased a FINN fleece and I'm eager to wash it, card it and spin it. It's so soft! My preferences lean toward the medium, and finer wool breeds. But they all have qualities that can be put to the best use for the fiber type, fine, medium, long, double coated, etc. If I had it to do over again I would raise a spinner's flock, several different breeds just for the fleece. Forget the lambing part, it can be fun, but so very labor intensive.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1237 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  09:17:20 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Whatever handspun I've finished and have cast on with.

Since I haven't been knitting very long I haven't worked with enough yarn to develop a real favorite, but I do love my handspun, and Shelia's feelings above ring true for me.

A while back I did work with a singly ply Romney handspun from Baananewoolworks (on Etsy) that I really enjoyed and have always remembered fondly. There was "just something about it." I plan to order more but haven't found the right project yet.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  11:35:19 AM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noro Anything! If I was stuck on a desert island, I'd ask for a variety of yarn weight to entertain me. I LOVE the colors in almost all their yarns. The long color changes, with enough surprises to keep things interesting. Silk Garden for sweaters, Kureyon for blankets, Silk Garden or Kureyon Sock for socks, Kirameki for lace, I love them all!

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

lemonville
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  11:50:58 AM  Show Profile Send lemonville a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a "tough" question. I love yarn, but I guess one of my absolute favorites is Cascade 220. I find it to be extremely versatile with great stitch definition. And, a big plus in the Northeast .. it's warm and cozy!!

JBouchard
Go to Top of Page

podunkians
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  12:08:22 PM  Show Profile Send podunkians a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite right now is GNY mink/cashmere. I made a lot of Christmas presents with it and there is no other yarn I've knit with that is as soft or as luxurious.
Go to Top of Page

DogCatMom
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  12:18:11 AM  Show Profile Send DogCatMom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whatever isn't superwash is fine by me!

DCM
Go to Top of Page

knisit
New Pal

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  12:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit knisit's Homepage Send knisit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right now its Cascades Duo - so soft - but it really depends on what I'm knitting. I love this soft yarn, but I also love a nice springy sock yarn too - Fleece Artist Trail sock comes to mind.
Go to Top of Page

needler
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  9:00:30 PM  Show Profile Send needler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything MadelineTosh, after my handspun, of course. :)
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  7:41:17 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rarely use just one brand - I love Malabrigo, anything with cashmere, Noro Silk Garden...

However, the desert island yarn (as long as it's a cold desert) would be Cascade 220. I like the superwash for washable kids jackets/sweaters, but otherwise plain old 220, in all its glorious colors.

Encore is nice, too, but if I only get ONE, it's the 220.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

lizkjohnson
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  07:03:56 AM  Show Profile Send lizkjohnson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next to my own handspun, I love Cascade 220 for versatility and practicality, Malabrigo for softness, and Noro for (of course) colors.
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

761 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  09:52:56 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Cascade 220. I think it because they have the best colors, its soft and most of all it doesn't have a order. Donna
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  06:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Birte, Sunna, Forfire's Cormo sock yarn, String Theory's Casper Sock, and several of the yarns I've used for my woolalong afghan . . . I can't pick just one.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

mjhealy
Warming Up

67 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  07:04:25 AM  Show Profile Send mjhealy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KrazyKim

Noro Anything!

I'm fond of Noro too... Always happy with my finished project. My second vote (if allowed) would go to String Theory Selbu yarn because it comes in beautiful colors, wears well and is soft.

Martha H.
Go to Top of Page

llmcguire
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  08:08:18 AM  Show Profile Send llmcguire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in love with all the yarns from Foxfire Fiber and Designs. The Cormo Silk Alpaca is pure L.U.X.U.R.Y. with the sheen of silk, soft touch and warmth; the Flock Sock has amazing squish; the Upland Wool with Alpaca and Upland Wool with Mohair have great durability. All these (and more) are available in a choice of beautiful colors or undyed. I love the CSA approach and having been to Springdelle Farm, love the way the animals are cared for.
I just started playing with BFL. OMG. Why didn't anyone demand that I start earlier? Why?!? BFL is quickly becoming a very close second. If there's anyone who has not worked with BFL, quick, get some and at the very least start swatching; you'll be in love.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?