Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Yarn Inventory Cards
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  12:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have so much yarn! It's almost impossible to remember which colors I have of each brand or type of yarn. Then, while brousing different websites I found this:

http://www.cochenille.com/producthtml/prodcodesaid.html#symbol

Granted, I can look at my yarn cabinet, from my knitting chair. But I can't see all the colors, as the cubbyholes are rather full! So, today I will give in and spend the $5.00 for the PDF file. Resistance is futal.

Edit: I called them and they are going to e-mail it to me, rather than send a disc. No S&H charge and I'll have it right away!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Irish Red
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  1:10:21 PM  Show Profile Send Irish Red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So then you print out the little tags for each of your yarns? Don't quite understand how it works, I guess. Are you pleased with the product they emailed? Thank you for the suggestion.

The Industrious Bee
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  2:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YES! They are perfect. Just what I wanted and really need. Now I won't have to keep moving balls of yarn, in the cubbyholes, around to see what is there! No, I don't plan on sitting here tonight and doing all of my yarn! It will take awhile and some of the lines I won't need to fill in. I do have some double stick tape that I will use to hold the yarn in place as I wrap it around the card.

Yes, you print out a bunch of tags; 4 tags per sheet of card stock. Why card stock? Well, you are going to wind some of the yarn on the tag and you need the strength of card stock.

You print then cut the tags individually and punch a hole in the marked spot. Then you write/fill in the information, about the yarn, in the lines provided on each tag. Wind some yarn in the area provided, after you have cut on the lines. Then there you have it! Something that shows you what you have available and you can take it with you in your knitting bag.

I plan on separating my tags by weight. Just by looking at the bunched cards, from the side, will make it easy to see the colors I have.

This gives me the excuse I've been waiting for . . . . to buy a nice paper cutter!
Staples, here I come! Gee, I won't even be going over my yarn budget for this month!

Sometimes the least expensive finds can put a smile on my face and give me the giggles!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  5:19:24 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharon, sounds like a great toy. This way you get to play with yarn without having to pay for yarn!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  09:19:15 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more I think about this the more I really like the idea. These cards could work well for handspun too. So many details to remember there too: which whorl, how much tension, what material, how prepped, where bought...

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Lynne604
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  10:35:10 AM  Show Profile Send Lynne604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your printer won't take card stock -- I'm afraid mine would jam -- use self-adhesive laminated sheets for each card.
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  03:21:27 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm interesting! I never thought to use these to make yarn cards!

I bought merchandise tags at an office supply store. They come in several sizes and have a string to tie onto the item. I use them to write care instructions and then stamp a kitty cat on the front. I recently bought Moo labels with my KnittingKittens avatar and will now use those on the front.

I have a crappy printer at home -need to upgrade soon- so if I can avoid printing I do!
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  08:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool idea. How much yarn do they hold, though? Some brilliant person should make index-card sized ones to hold enough yarn to darn a sock. I've been winding as much yarn as seems appropriate onto cards for a while now, and while it works and I like knowing where the yarn to repair knits lives, it's not a perfect system yet.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  1:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cut out portion is 1 3/8" x 3/4", so 1 3/8 = 2 3/4" times the number of wraps you would get in 3/4". That is if you only wrap the depth of one layer. There is enough room, using sock yarn, to wrap 3 or 4 times (depth). There is always the option of printing the cards, then cutting them longer and having more than a width of 3/4" to wrap around, if you want it for darning. I, personally, just keep the partial left over skeins in a plastic storage shoe box. That way I can use the card with the partial wrap to visually find the left over yarn if I need to darn. I've only had to darn 3 separate socks in the last several years. One pair needed both socks darned, but that yarn was less expensive yarn and didn't hold up as well as all the others I've knit. The 3rd sock was needing darning because DS hadn't been warned, in advance, to keep his toenails trimmed! He has since learned! I'm surprised he hasn't had more to darn as he is very hard on socks!

I have put off makeing cards for my sock yarn as I'm trying to use it up! Then what did I do? I went and bought another 10 skeins! My new resolution is to make a card on each skein of yarn I buy, before adding it to my stash!

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  5:09:31 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharon, you have your wished for library and now you are getting a little index set up. Hmmm but not for the books.
Lanea, I have a whole stack of hand embroidery silks and they are stored on little cards and kept in a special plastic box. I wonder if those would hold enough yarn to darn a sock? I expect they would. Look in the craft stores near the embroidery threads.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?