Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Gail Callahan's Color Grid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  7:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With Alice Starmore's books coming back into print, Mary Jane Mucklestone's Fair Isle book wooing countless new knitters into the colorwork fold, and folks like Jared Flood tempting us with succulent colorways, I do think we're headed toward a colorwork revival. (If it ever went away? That's another arguable statement.)

Not everybody has the same comfort level with choosing colors. I'll say right up front that I don't. I either get far too conservative (to the point where the colors aren't even distinct enough from one another) or I choose something GHASTLY and regret every stitch.

Which is why I was so interested in Gail Callahan's new Color Grid. It's a super simple cheater tool for picking colors guaranteed to work harmoniously. Here's the review.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

4krnatv
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  06:15:39 AM  Show Profile Send 4krnatv a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Thanks for writing about this knitting helper. It sounds like what I really need to strike out and make a unique choice of my own. Otherwise, trying to pick colors is just too daunting. Like all great inventions, it is so clever , yet incredibly simple to use. I hope she sells a ton of them!
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  06:53:37 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up Clara. I am one of those people that can't put colors together. I just can't see it. I buy kits and hope they tell you what order to put the colors. Donna

PS I ordered my color grid.
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2043 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  07:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

I love the idea of this & the portability of it, instead of the books that I love & that sit on my shelf vs. going w/me to a festival or my LYS. I have knitting & quilting pals who are color-masters (you KR Babes know of whom I speak!) & they are amazing. Not me, baby bear!

Thanks, Clara. I will be ordering/buying this soon.
Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  07:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love this! I was just wishing for something like it yesterday when I was staring at a quilting project I am trying to work the nerve up to start. (I just learned to sew, I have never made anything patchwork.) Little Luann wants me to make him a space quilt, and who am I to say no? So I've collected lots of cool space-themed fabrics. Trouble is, now that I am investigating what makes an attractive quilt, I discover that it's all about the background fabrics and complementary colors. I am ordering this gadget today, thanks!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  08:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is exactly what I was looking for - to help me come up with the right tones to decorate rooms in Owl Manor! Something about a much larger canvas than a knitting project is more intimidating ... Merci, Miz C.!

As to the fuchsia ... definitely a message there (ducks below desk)

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

smonakey
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  08:31:09 AM  Show Profile Send smonakey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so color impaired that I can't help but wonder where this thing has been so far in my knitting life? Thank you so much for reviewing this - I'm off to order as soon as I'm done posting here.
Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

595 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  10:29:50 AM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Clara. I love fuschia! This handy little device sure sounds useful. I'll get it the next time I have a webs order.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  11:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, like smonakey, am totally color challenged. I did buy the Knitting Daily Workshop DVD, A Knitter's Guide to Color with Laura Bryant. That helped me understand color much better, but I think this new tool may be very useful for me. For the price I can't go wrong.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Jeanine
Chatty Knitter

248 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  08:59:10 AM  Show Profile Send Jeanine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just ordered two. Wish I'd had it when I made a multi-coloured pinwheel with a staggeringly discordant pale stripe amongst the darks. Every time I see the pic on Ravelry, I blush.
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

297 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  10:12:08 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope to pick one up this weekend. My being color challenged is well documented. My husband is color blind and has warned me many times that the color paint I've chosen for a wall is not right and I wouldn't be happy - and he's always been right.

I have always stayed with "safe" colors when choosing yarn. I not only hope that the color grid will help me to more confidently coordinate colors, but will open up a new world of color options, even becoming a fan of colors I have never particularly liked.

Thanks, Clara!
Go to Top of Page

dothead
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
542 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  12:15:16 PM  Show Profile Send dothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should probably get one of these. I tend to mix colors that probably shouldn't be mixed and then I wonder why people want to put sunglasses on when they see me coming toward them.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  12:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got mine yesterday (from Webs) and am not disappointed. Spent too long playing around with it last night, it's slightly addictive. I can see that my inclination to use either too many or too few colors will be nicely challenged by this simple tool.

Thanks for another great find, Clara!

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2043 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  08:08:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Good luck, Luann, w/quilting - you will get hooked, just know that in advance, sweetie.

Great idea, Miz Owl, re decorating - this is another great use for this great tool.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  03:27:14 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey I just got a two for one. I'm learning how to quilt this will help me with the colors and my knitting.It was fun going to the mail box for this one. Donna
Go to Top of Page

Phillida
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  10:42:00 AM  Show Profile Send Phillida a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must be the only dissenter. I just got mine. I put the large hole on the brightest
clearest red and got bright greens for my color spark. No thank you. I'd already
made a pair of bright red socks with gold, black, and royal purple accents--gorgeous.
Putting yarns together around you on the floor works very well. I think I overpaid
manyfold for a shiny piece of colored cardboard that is very little help.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe