Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Knitting with Two Colors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  6:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If colorwork is back, then I can't suggest a finer little book for you. It's from Meg Swansen and Amy Detjen, with the spirit of Joyce Williams in every page. Here's this week's review of Knitting with Two Colors.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2596 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  03:31:33 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know, of all the knitting techniques out there, color knitting is my least favorite. The multiple ends, the twisted yarn balls, avoiding holes, tension issues - I know it can all be overcome, but at that point, it seems more like work than relaxation.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  04:44:25 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Colorwork is another of those techniques that I have done little of, but one I want to do more with. Another technique that KR may just inspire me to adopt in my "knitting arsenal".
judy
Go to Top of Page

terryknits2
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  05:02:16 AM  Show Profile Send terryknits2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love doing stranded colorwork where 2 or 3 yarns are carried and worked across the row as in slip stitch/mosaic and "Fair Isle". I have a lot less patience for Intarsia, mainly due to the mess all the different hanging strands make as I'm trying to work. I'll still do Intarasia, but only if it's fairly simple. But it's still one of my knitting life goals to make one of those incredibly beautiful Kaffe Fasset Intarsia designs someday.
Go to Top of Page

llmcguire
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  05:44:02 AM  Show Profile Send llmcguire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find colorwork to be intrigueing. I've completed a few projects, mittens, and love the feel of working with two different colors at the same time. I feel like my hands are 'dancing' or 'conducting' or something like that. I'm trying intarsia,one of my goals for this year, but am having limited success. After reading Clara's review of "Knitting with Two Colors", I immediately put the book on my wish list. Looking forward to learning how to do those little extras that make a finished project, a finished project.
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  06:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had hesitated for a long time to try stranded knitting, but I found it's dead easy - with a little gadget (bent it from a piece of copper wire lying around) to separate the strands on my left index finger (I'm a continental knitter).

Happy knitting, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1916 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  08:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is my all time favorite way to knit. Colorwork anything is always my favorite. Thanks for such a glowing review, Clara! I can't wait to get my copy.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  09:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love colorwork! I am all over the book like a cheap suit :-D. Just purchased it, and can't wait to receive it. Thanks for the review!

Jennifer

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
"SpiritTrail" on Flickr and Ravelry

Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2012 :  10:51:21 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the look of colorwork, but due to health issues (one of the joys of fibromyalgia) had trouble following the patterns. I tried chartholders, Post-its, markers, etc. all to no avail.
Anybody remember the old Apple commercial tag-line, "There's an app for that"? There is.
http://www.knitspeaker.com/ I bought it (it's $5.99) and it is totally worth it.
You enter the pattern into your itouch , and it reads it to you! I entered a couple of rows,just to try it out and it works great.
By the way, I have no affiliation with Leslye Solomon, the software designer.

Debra
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  10:51:27 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My forays into colorwork have met with limited success. Remember the Fake-Isle hat - with a solid color and Noro? That was my only real success. The stranding can really limit the stretchiness, which is what happened when I just made this http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/zportz which I will not be making again.

I'd love to own a Kaffe Fassett intarsia sweater, but have absolutely no desire to ever knit one. I was at a lecture that he gave, and I asked about all the woven-in ends on the sweater he was showing. He said it wasn't a problem, because he wasn't the one who did it. I asked if he would show the inside of the sweater...he said NO, and went on to the next topic.
After the lecture, his stuff was on display on some tables in the foyer, and he was chatting with people. I quietly went over and looked on the inside of the sweater...it was lovely. Maybe, if someone ever offers me a wage for my time, I'll try intarsia, but until then....

Jan
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  9:43:53 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh goodness, I love colorwork! I have the Kaffe Fassett "Tapestry" cardigan as a UFO (and have had for many years! :-) The one thing he does in the design to make it a little easier is too carry the black outline yarn across the back at all times.

Then, I have the Scottish Fair Isle yoke cardigan I designed for my mom when she was 80. I had a course in colorwork from Alice Starmore at the Tomato Factory Yarn Co. in New Jersey, and she gave such good help that I designed my own yoke patterns and also put the fair isle on the sleeve ends, and just above the lower ribbing.
I called the design "Texas Wildflowers", and am inordinately proud of it!
I wish had a camera that works, and knew how to take a picture and put it online......but I don't .

Anyway, the minute I read about this new book by Meg and Amy, I put in my order. Those two know so much about two color knitting!

Please give it a try if you are moved to do so! It is very rewarding. Oh, by the way, I am not so keen on intarsia, but still do it!

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  04:18:16 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too will admit to a fear of color work, but I put in my order for the book as I read Clara's review.

I have the book and am waiting for a quiet moment to read it and decide what my first 2 color project will be.

Jan, I also have no desire to knit a Kaffe Fasset intarsia sweater!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.