Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Did our warm winter change what you knit?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2043 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  07:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

One of the topics sometimes tossed around is how our seasons affect what & how we knit. Do we knit differently in the warmer weather than we do in the cold weather? Mother Nature gave us a warm winter time this year in most parts of the U.S at least - the rest of the world, do tell, what was it like for you?

To me, the way seasons affect my knitting is similar to the talk of "beach reading" - I read all year 'round & my reading pretty much remains the same. And so does my knitting. While I try to always have a sweater on the needles, I also have socks, scarves, a shawl, headbands & Clara's fingerless mitts. I guess my motto is any time is a great time to knit!

How about you?

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  07:47:02 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does not change me either. I have a lace shawl,2 baby sweater2,2 baby blanket, sweater for me,and a table runner
on the needles. as I finished one I pick up something else from my wips.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5191 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  08:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It changed my knitting, but in an odd way. I put down the sweater I was working on because it wasn't cold enough to wear it, but I worked constantly on afghans and quilts wishing it was cold enough to use them. I won't say it was rational, but it's what I did.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  6:44:05 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, marfa! I agree with you wholeheartedly! No matter what the weather is, I knit year-round! As you said, "Any time is a great time to knit!"

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
Go to Top of Page

akmtngrl
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  01:15:48 AM  Show Profile Send akmtngrl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here in Fairbanks, Alaska, it was very cold in November, January, and March. All year I knit wool. Mittens in summer in preparation for next winter. Socks and sweaters year round. Hats any old time. Christmas presents in the fall.

Gail in Fairbanks
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
60 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  01:24:35 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in Queensland, Australia, and we're just coming to the end of our rather hot, humid summer - though this summer hasn't been a particularly hot one. I knit all year round, but prefer smaller items in summer, and definitely not soft, fluffy, ultra-warm fibres!
Go to Top of Page

stherio
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  04:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit stherio's Homepage Send stherio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit whatever interests me. But during the summer months I am usually knitting heavy things for winter, as I'm usually working on Christmas presents and such. I'm an equal season knitter! And I knit everywhere - in the car, at the doctor's office, while on the phone, etc. The only place I haven't taken my knitting is the bathroom :-)

Suzy
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  04:29:15 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am in inland New South Wales Australia and we have a dry climate although we have had a lot more rain this year than usually. As mentioned by Sockjoan, our summer has not been as hot as we normally have either. I have noticed that when we have a really hot summer, the northern hemisphere has a very cold winter so I suppose it makes sense that if your winter was not too cold then our summer was not too hot. I remember one year when my daughter was living in Scotland she told me that the forecast maximum was -3 degrees Celsius and that day our temperature reached 43 degrees Celsius.
However, the weather does not seem to alter what we knit. Mind you, it used to do. Years ago, knitting was a winter pastime now it is all year round. My daughter knits everywhere even while walking along the street. She is known as "the knitting lady". She can't knit in the bathroom because her cat quite often sits on her lap. He does not like to let her out of his sight. Weird cat. (Hmmm I suppose I should say weird daughter)

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

birdgirl
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  06:10:37 AM  Show Profile Send birdgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been knitting sweaters all winter, all last summer, all the time. They don't come off the needles so quickly that I can wait till fall, so I keep knitting. On the hottest days of summer I set them down, as we don't have air conditioning. Other wise I'm a cold weather knitter. Our summers don't last that long in the northwest USA that I get excited about knitting in cotton. Anyway, I love wool and alpaca!
Go to Top of Page

rchapin8391@yahoo.com
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  07:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit rchapin8391@yahoo.com's Homepage  Send rchapin8391@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send rchapin8391@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here in New Mexico we have had a cold, windy and snowy winter. During this time I usually knit alot of Fair Isle item as I have time to just sit and knit. During the summer it's usually easy small things as there isn't much time with the animals, chores, garden etc etc. But I do knit year round.

Sharry in NM
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  07:43:36 AM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that my choice of knitting projects is affected by the seasons or temperature. If I'm making something specifically seasonal (like sweaters or scarves), it us usually months before that season, so that I'll finish them on time. I need to knit anywhere, anytime, anything (almost).

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  09:05:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question, Ms. Martha. I just knit, all year long, on whatever wants me to knit it! Who am I to question the yarn?

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  10:13:01 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My niece and her preschoolers live in Northern British Columbia, so their winters and summers are both pretty extreme, but I think the heat lasts longer than for akmtngrl in Alaska. For them I knit according to the seasons, but generally I think I'm following the holidays and fibre festivals that fall into my life--knitting for Christmas or on the presents I get for Christmas, or the bright and shiny things that entranced me lately. In Vancouver, we usually don't have too many summer days that make it too hot to have a cat or most projects in your lap.

Live, Laugh, Love, Learn
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  10:26:54 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weather doesn't usually affect how or what I knit, but time on hand and mood certainly does. Lately I have hardly a day I can call my own, which is both tiring and trying. So, I'm knitting a lot less, crafting less, getting into the Garden less. I'm hoping for some change in this by mid summer.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

Liz F
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  11:40:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Liz F's Homepage Send Liz F a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting is an all-season obsession for me. This winter, I did set aside a hat and a heavy sweater/coat, more due to my own knitter's ADD than anything else. PLEASE do not show me any links to lace as I am helpless in its midst and will click the "buy pattern now" button in a New York minute.
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  5:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Our very warm winter (both here in Oklahoma as well as in other states where family members/recipients live) didn't change my knitting plans one bit ... however, it certainly DID change whether or not the knitted items were worn! I made many warm hats and cowls for family members in South Dakota, only to find out that their winter was almost as mild as here at home and too warm for hats most of the time. They had almost no snow, but we'll see if there is an Easter spell.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  4:52:12 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with those who knit anything for any season anytime. I will admit though, that this extremely warm weather we have had in New England (Maine) has inspired me to make some cotton blend sunhats for my granddaughter. However, they say back to more seasonable weather this weekend.
judy
Go to Top of Page

llmcguire
Warming Up

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  04:31:41 AM  Show Profile Send llmcguire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find I tend to knit with the season; scarfs, mittens and hats in winter, socks and lighter shawls in spring/summer. The recent unseasonably warm weather has left me confused. Do I finish the cool-weather cowl, even though I doubt I'll be able to wear it or do I go onto socks? The garden has seen more of my time lately as I need to rework the placement of the beds. It's labor-intensive work, but I'm hoping that this will leave me with more knitting time later on.
Go to Top of Page

kare
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  9:21:04 PM  Show Profile Send kare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soon I hope to have a lot more time to knit, due to the fact that I'll be cutting back on my time at the office and my health has made me kick back some and enjoy life in general. I love to knit year round...I do find that the heavy projects are a bit much to try to knit in the heat here in CA...but smaller projects and lighter weight things are much easier.
Go to Top of Page

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  12:57:46 PM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The winters here in Chicago have been rather mild the last few years, so instead of crocheting baby afghans, I'm knitting them.

I do love my crochet because it is so soft and cushy with dk weight, but now, I've started knitting with light worsted or dk. Still keeps the body heat, yet lighter.

Go to Top of Page

Irish Red
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  11:32:14 AM  Show Profile Send Irish Red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with you, Marfa. I live in the highest city in North America (10,200'+) in the Colorado Rockies and our winters are cold and long, while our fabulous summers have highs in the 70's. So I pretty much knit everything all year long. I have a goofy superstition that has just evolved. I always have 13 sweaters on the needles. When I finish one, I start another. But that allows for lot of sleeves, etc, to knit on warm days, car rides to warmer places. I also knit scarves, hats, mittens, gloves, cowls, afghans, everything but socks. I HATE socks. I learned to knit making socks and don't know why I stuck with knitting because I disliked them so much. But weather does not seem to affect my knitting goals.

The Industrious Bee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.