Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Super Duper Basic Beginner Talk
 Considering getting rid of machine if DH is okay
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  8:09:06 PM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have tried the machine again, and it works best when I do not thread it all the way. That sounds crazy to me. After I did thread it properly as the manual says to do, by the third row,even though I moved the carriage much much more slowly, the yarn was twisting around one of the grey clawed circles under the carriage, and the yarn actually broke off this time.

I am considering selling it to my sisters boyfriend if he wants it and knows how to fix it. We have had it for almost a month so cannot likely return it to the company we bought it from, which is called Sew 'n Knit 'n Surge on Gower Ave. I have been there for two three hour lessons, the second one is when she left me for over an hour to do other things, yet charged me for a private lesson. I wish there was another company here in Toronto Ontario Canada that I could go to, but I have not been able to find any.

Thanks so much for all the help you have given me. You have all been very kind.

lavatera

chiral
Warming Up

Australia
68 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  5:51:38 PM  Show Profile Send chiral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there are a number of knitting machine clubs in Canada. I live in Australia so I can't give you any more information than that.

Perhaps if you Google "knitting machine clubs Toronto" (without the inverted commas) you might find something.

Most clubs welcome beginners and are happy to help out and even have a look at your machine.

Steve
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiral1/
Go to Top of Page

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  8:46:28 PM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I will do that. I thought that knitting clubs were only for experienced machine knitters, so they would not want to waste their time with me.

Thanks again

lavatera
Go to Top of Page

chiral
Warming Up

Australia
68 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  4:56:06 PM  Show Profile Send chiral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A checklist for when things go wrong:

1) Make sure the yarn is threaded correctly

2) Make sure the carriage is on the needlebed correctly

3) Check the sponge/foam bar hasn't gone flat or perished

4) Make sure there are no rough spots on the carriage where the yarn goes through

5) Make sure you have the correct amount of weights

6) Maybe the yarn needs waxing

7) Make sure you understand the instructions (you'd be surprised)

8) Make sure there are no bent needles/gatepegs

9) Maybe you need a break. Have a coffee and come back to it

*** The last is often the most important

Steve
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiral1/
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  10:56:23 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lavatera--My experience with more experienced knitters is that they love to share their knowledge and help others to enjoy knitting as much as they do. I think if you went to a club and asked for help, you would get it. Whenever I've showed up somewhere as a complete newbie, I've been totally taken in by the more experienced crowd. Once I went to party where someone was spinning on a drop spindle. I asked her if that's what she was doing; she said yes, want a lesson? We were the last to leave, and she was still teaching me to spin when we were asked to leave!(:

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  8:46:09 PM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Thank you so much. I have finally knitted a scarf using the punch card number one. It is a small scarf, but that is partly because I ran out of yarn.

Is it okay to always buy the waxed yarn, or will it leave a residue on the machine after a while?

I would appreciate your input on the continuous use of waxed yarn. Thanks so much.

lavatera
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  08:36:53 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hooray! I don't know anything about the waxed yarn, but congratulations on wrestling this thing to the ground, and completing a scarf.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  11:40:36 AM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much,

lavatera
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  7:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My old Toyota machine had a spot to put a wax piece, shaped like a thread spool, that the yarn passed by. This helps the yarn, somehow, to knit.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

dorarudin
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  6:57:31 PM  Show Profile Send dorarudin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear group
I love what steve said about the coffee and relaxing, i have a studio 155 it will not cast on for anything, sponge bars beenchange, needles, oiled, rethread the machie ask several groups of knitters and still its not working, i am now serching for a carriage and linker plate to see if thats the problem , its ut away for now until , i get to where i am not ready to take a hammer to it
Dora

Dora
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.