Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 200 Thefts Per Day!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  2:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the news today, concerning JFK Airport

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/26/exclusive-the-stunning-jfk-airport-baggage-scandal-200-thefts-per-day/

I think Philly would run a close 2nd.

Unfortunately, as it is described, your belongings really aren't safe at any point. When I travel I have to change planes at least once. Who knows what happens at that airport.

When I travel I always have a carry on holding all my valuables, makeup, medications, knitting and a change of underwear! Of course that is not always foolproof. At one airport, last year, the flight attendent at the door to the plane itself told me there was no more room for my carry on case and then grabbed it. I panicked, grabbed it back and argued. She told me I could take, from the bag, whatever I could fit into my purse. Then they took the bag and sent it to the belly of the plane. She had lied to me. There were numerouse empty overhead bins. That is one of the reasons why I will not ever fly US Air again.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  03:38:52 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I travel I have a nice size purse and fit most of what I can't lose. It used to be, you worried about lost luggage now it if you will get back what you packed. Donna
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  11:01:41 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Millions of dollars worth of Bulgari jewelry used to ride in the belly of the plane in the 70's. It was the safest place. Wow! Those baggage guys really got "organized". It makes me sick.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  11:09:20 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shalee you have persuaded me to never again check my luggage.

Debra
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  11:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Lella, the 60's and 70's were the days when it was fun to fly. I don't plan on flying out west, this year, just because of the stress of flying. The only way I'd fly, this year, is if it were an emergency. I am considering driving, but from PA to Utah & Idaho is a long drive! Even with gas prices going up I just might do it.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

ClimberKnits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  11:06:27 AM  Show Profile Send ClimberKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$160,000 worth of jewelry? Really? ALL of my belongings total wouldn't add up to that much. But where's the call for common sense here? The lady can carry two carry on bags. How about one oversized purse and another just for the jewels? Don't pack anything that you can't live without in checked baggage.

I fly (standby) a lot and the skirmish for overhead bin space can be one of the ugliest situations on a flight. I've seen passengers argue that three is actually two, that an overstuffed wheelie bag really does fit in the sample bin space or that a stroller, purse, briefcase, (fill in with your favorite item) doesn't really count as a carryon. When the flight crew calls the gate desk that space it getting tight in the overheads, the gate staff has to then limit what those waiting are carrying. It's unfortunate, but a response to all the charges for checked bags. The largest items that they see are the ones that they ask to "gate check" first. You really DO need to listen carefully to all of theose announcements that they are making.

Airline staff members are people, too. They just want to get the plane loaded, in the air and safey to where they are going. Oh yeah, and be on time. Some folks just seem to be looking for a conflict and travel can be stressful enough without anyone being overly surly.
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  1:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could understand if, in my situation, it had been the desk person that took my carry on, but it was the "flight attendent - stewardess". Just as I was about to step onto the plane.

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe