Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Tahki Donegal Tweed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  6:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you believe in the whole notion of "terroir"? You know how they say wines have "terroir," that you can detect hints of the plants that were growing around the vines, the chalkiness of the soil, etc.?

I don't have a very good nose for wine, but I do have yarn fingers - and they DO tell me that yarn can carry its own sort of terroir. A perfect example of this is Tahki Donegal Tweed, still spun in County Donegal, Ireland, after all these years. It's a beloved classic for many, and I review it this week.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

MaggyMae
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  02:33:59 AM  Show Profile Send MaggyMae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with all that you have said in your great review of 'my' beloved Donegal Tweed. It's the first yarn I can truly say I fell in love with...over 35yrs.ago (a scary thought,funny how age creeps up on one) .Anyway, I made a button-down sweater,with arms strips, for my 2yr old, and still have this dear piece, talk about memories. It is a fine yarn, and does have a terrior - definitely Irish.

Returning to knitting
Go to Top of Page

pamulla@earthlink.net
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  05:27:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit pamulla@earthlink.net's Homepage Send pamulla@earthlink.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truly a classic. Tweeds have come and gone (most notably, some excellent ones from Rowan) but Takhi has been consistently lovely (albeit steadily rising in price)

Shape the world, one stitch at a time
Pam in CT www.roddyknit.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

boocat
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  05:41:50 AM  Show Profile Send boocat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What needle size did you use?
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2043 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  07:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Clara noted in the sidebar on the right side of the review that she used size 8 needles. Her reviews are always so thorough & informative & she gives us lots of info in that sidebar column.

Great review, Clara - what a fine yarn it is! Thanks for the "reminder" about just how cool it is.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  08:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This yarn was my first yarn crush, too. I made two sweaters for myself from it and wore them and wore them and wore them. At one point I had stockpiled enough of it to make the Map of the World afghan from Vogue Knitting, but a few years ago I let it all go (it had been in stash for over 5 years at that point). Such a great yarn deserved to be used, so I destashed. But I still miss it, and still think about making that blanket someday...

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  12:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love this yarn. My favorite sweater is knit with it. I only get to wear it a few times a winter since it really doesn't get cold enough. I have enough for another few sweaters in my stash just waiting for the right time.

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns:
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  8:22:40 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still haven't made the Central Park hoodie, and this just may be the yarn to make it.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

gcelee
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  9:40:39 PM  Show Profile Send gcelee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm another knitted who had an early crush on this yarn. I felt like a "real" knitter once I started knitting with Donegal Tweed. Great yarn with good memories. I haven't used Tweed in a while - glad you reminded Clara. Thanks!!

Carol

Carol
Knitting is cheaper than therapy and more effective. I enjoy it more and it's good for my blood pressure. What more could you want?
Go to Top of Page

MaggyMae
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  05:07:30 AM  Show Profile Send MaggyMae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by gcelee

I'm another knitted who had an early crush on this yarn. I felt like a "real" knitter once I started knitting with Donegal Tweed. Great yarn with good memories. I haven't used Tweed in a while - glad you reminded Clara. Thanks!!

acelee: Thank you for completing my thoughts on this subject... and I too say: Thank You Clara for posting and helping us re-member our love of this classic...(which I can't afford anymore..boohoo)

Returning to knitting
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  06:31:04 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Donegal Tweed was the first yarn I ever bought for a knitting project. I loved the color, the smell, and the fact that it was made in Donegal, Ireland, where I had spent some time.

I made leg warmers out of it, which are much too heavy to stay up around my knees, but when they sink down around my boots I get loads of compliments on them.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  4:07:48 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has been on my list of "yarns to try" for oh . . . like forever! It is so pretty that this might be the year (after the stash has been knitted down more) to actually get my hands on some. I've no solid plans of what to make from it but I will not let that stop me!
Go to Top of Page

imamshua
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  4:14:58 PM  Show Profile Send imamshua a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh My! I just revisited my stash, sorted, containerized and determined "will I ever use this" and my Donegal Tweed was one I have in the trunk of my car ready to give away -- It's going back in the house with me when I get home tonight -- Thanks for the review Clara and reminding me why I bought it to start with!

Sally

If you think you're too small to be effective you have never been in bed with a mosquito - Bette Reese
Go to Top of Page

Bluesheltie
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  1:43:43 PM  Show Profile Send Bluesheltie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Years ago I knit a Navajo inspired sweater featured in Vogue Knitting with Donegal. It was my favorite go to sweater for Illinois winters, and when worn with a turquoise and spiny oyster Squash Blossom necklace, quite a conversation piece. When we moved to Arizona 12 years ago, the sweater came with me. I still wear it in winter (all four weeks of it) and it just gets better as it ages. It was quite stiff when it came off the needles, but blocking softened it up and now it's quite cuddly. The hubby has a Donegal DK weight vest in his bureau that's also a favorite.

I have quite a few single skeins in my stash and I've used them for double knit mittens, hats, and other small projects. Long live Donegal Tweed!

Karen Z
Mesa, AZ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.