Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Yarn Ball Winder.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  5:44:37 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, knitters! I would REALLY like to have a center-pull yarn ball winder, but all the ones I've seen are expensive!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2756 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  7:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a Royal, and have had it for probably 5 years. Worth every penny!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  8:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love my Royal! I actually wore my first one out and had to buy another one. Now I realize the second one is getting old, at least 10 years old, but it is still working great!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  8:30:37 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How much does a Royal cost? Can it be found in a regular craft store or do I have to order it?

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2756 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  04:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought mine at my yarn shop.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  2:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes Knit Picks has things for less than the local store, you just have to figure in shipping or driving.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  3:48:45 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon has them for about $57. Webs and Yarn Market have them for $45. Knit picks has them for $60 right now. These prices don't include shipping. I love mine!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  04:55:13 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with all. The 50-60 bucks I spent for my royal winder changed how and what I bought for yarn. I can even get my boys to wind for me(they think it's cool)!

I just looked on amazon and see the Royal winder is at $27.99 You'll also need a swift if you don't have one already.

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2605 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  06:44:26 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have my Royal winder that I believe I bought in the late 1980's/early 1990's. I have used it regularly over the years (and my daughters started using it as well), and it looks and works the same way it did 20+ years ago. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  2:26:54 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually have three, one from machine knitting days, and one hand-held wooden one bought at the swap meet in the 70's - it works great, and goes with me when I travel.

Since I just used my Royal to wind some yarn yesterday, I wanted to say, they are really not a big chunk of change, and sometimes if your local Michaels or JoAnn's carries them, you can use a 40% or 50% off coupon. I've never seen such high prices I think I got mine from knitpicks for less than $30, and the swift, though it was, of course, more.

PS. Just a thought. Those winders come in different sizes and that might be it. There's a great BIG one for HUGE hanks.

Happy Hunting!

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  09:05:14 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few days ago I bought the compact yarn ball winder TH700 by U-Nitt on Amazon. It was %45 percent off, and is currently selling for about $24. It got really good reviews, so I hope it's a good one.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  11:35:39 AM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the ones at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Ball-Winder/dp/B0039GJEAY

I have a small one and then the Jumbo (Royals). Both are out on my craft table all the time.
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  7:43:35 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for the info, knitters!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  6:38:38 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are worth having. Of course, this is easy for me to say since mine was given to me. It's plastic and does not look as fancy as the Royal on Amazon. Save up your pennies and go for it.

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  11:22:52 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will do, Margie! Thank u!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe