Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Hooray, it's finished!
 Ridiculous place to block
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  8:44:53 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today I finished knitting a cashmere scarf for my boyfriend's birthday. Thank heavens he went out with friends tonight, so I could have some time to secretly block it. When I was finished blocking it on my EZ sew board, I tried to pick it up to carry it into my room, to hide it. That wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I was bringing it into my room because I had this bright idea that I could let it dry under my bed, in secret. Well, my room is about the size of a postage stamp. I had to bend the board to get it under the bed and pins were flying all over the place and you should have heard the invectives flying around with them. I finally got it pinned back together and shoved under my bed. Whew! It has three days to dry. I'll put my air purifier on and open the window and cross my fingers.

Where's the most ridiculous place you've ever dried (or tried to dry) your blocked knitting?

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1916 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  09:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
under my cat. Altho frankly I can't say I intended it to be under my cat. :D

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  4:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hotel room bed, not sure what housekeeping thought of it. I would have loved to see their faces. I left a note asking nicely that they leave the bed and it's contents alone, which they did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signature? Who needs a signature?
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  5:36:16 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, on both counts. I've never tried blocking under a cat. Doesn't sound easy/fun.

Hotel room bed sounds easier, and I'm with you jaymeknits, I'd love to see their faces. (:

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

Gibson Girl
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  05:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gibson Girl's Homepage Send Gibson Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I frequently use a guest room bed that has stripped sheets on it. Perfect for aligning. Our adult grandson came for a surprise visit and I hurridly whipped the room together but evidently left a few pins on the bed. He gathered them all together in the morning and brought them out to breakfast! He said it was one of the most interesting nights he'd ever had. You should have seen MY face.
Go to Top of Page

llmcguire
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  09:14:36 AM  Show Profile Send llmcguire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few weeks ago I used my car's heating vents to finish up the drying process of a pair of socks I had finished the night before. The heater was on full blast inside the car, it was mid-60s outside. It worked, the socks were dry by the time I made it into work. I was cooked. I'm sure I looked funny to those who saw me flipping my purple socks while driving.
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  9:55:44 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I open up the sleeper sofa in our motor home and block things there. works great.

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  11:58:30 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hee hee hee! I had forgotten about this post. Thanks for reviving it! Got a good laugh.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  3:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, did Matthew like it or what??

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

suemac116@msn.com
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  06:55:40 AM  Show Profile Send suemac116@msn.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I blocked a small shawl in our rv once. It dried quickly before we had to sleep on the bed!
Go to Top of Page

gerstperson
Warming Up

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  07:53:53 AM  Show Profile Send gerstperson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I typically block my socks wet on sock blockers, and then prop them up in the dish drain. It works great, but unexpected guests who wander into the kitchen look a little puzzled.

Sharon

Chinese Proverb: Man who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt woman who is doing it.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  08:26:14 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! Hi, Clara! Well, let's say it's grown on him. I think he wasn't crazy about it at first--although that's just a suspicion; you know, that slight hesitation before he says, "I love it!"

I told him cashmere is eight times warmer than wool, and I had knitted the scarf for him to wear camping, because it's very light and packs up into, like, a three-inch ball. He camps in the rain, and in winter, so such a thing would be useful. And then he put it on and it seduced him. After that, he was helpless against the cashmere. A common story.

Now he wears it all the time and shows it off to friends. I think it looks great on him. I need to take a picture. Then you could see how ridiculously long his red mustache is getting too...

Robinsteph

ps: Gerstperson: Socks in dishdrainer = awesome. I love it.
Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Warming Up

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  10:53:06 AM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit the tulip sweater for the granddaughter as an Easter present. It wasn't quite dry so I carried the blocking mats and all and put them in the back of the station wagon for the drive up. It was hot in the car so worked pretty well.

BTW -- when I finished it the night before and was excited, my husband asked if I would have time to block it. How's that for paying attention?
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  5:32:21 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love the socks in dish drainer idea

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  4:17:45 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Matt now claims his initial hesitation was due to how nice it was and with my super-sneaky knitting and blocking. I asked him, "So that time you walked down the hall and found me with my butt sticking out from under the bed (after a shower without a towel, mind you; he snuck up on me) didn't cause suspicion? He said something like, "Non-knitters don't suspect sneaky knitting based merely upon naked butts sticking up from under the bed."

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1916 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2012 :  11:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If only you could hear my laughter about naked butts. TOTALLY made my day.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2012 :  1:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol, I have a new strange place to add to the list. I wanted to wash and reblock a small shawl to wear for a wedding out of town. I knew I didn't have time for it to dry before we had to leave. Hubby laughed when he came home and found me in the driveway pinning out my shawl in the trunk of my car.

(It's an suv and has a hard but carpeted cover thing that goes over the back trunk space so I pinned it to there and we slid the suitcase underneath. It worked great.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2012 :  08:32:14 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Purlewe, SO glad I could contribute. M and I are still laughing about it; it's become a new inside joke.

JaymeKnits--I can see you in my mind's eye pinning that shawl. Sounds like your husband appreciated your creativity. (:

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  03:25:34 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DD had a new hat sitting blocked over a dinner plate on the kitchen bench. Her Dad nearly wiped the bottom of his mug on it thinking it was a tea towel. He has suggested that she find somewhere else to block her hats.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

lisastitch
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  10:49:08 AM  Show Profile Send lisastitch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the place wasn't all that unusual--but I took my blocking panels along on vacation so that I could block what I hoped I would finish while we were away. (driving vacation, so my husband didn't flinch at my taking a sewing machine, a full bag of yarn, and my blocking panels!)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe