Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 knit picks needle, nickel plated or harmony wood?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fatma seif
New Pal

Egypt
11 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  1:09:24 PM  Show Profile Send fatma seif a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi every one
I'm planning to order Options Interchangeable Nickel Plated Circular Knitting Needle Set.
And I have read the reviews about Options Interchangeable Harmony Wood Circular Knitting Needle Set
I have never used wool needle before .
I'm wondered if the harmony wood needle is silky and smooth like nickel plated
And can I knit with it all type of knitting as lace, with wool yarn, cotton yarn, silk yarn .
And nickel plated needle can be enough for all types of knitting ?

Which better for all kind of knitting nickel plated or harmony wood?
I'll buy just one set
Which one you recommended to knit with it all the time?

Thanks for all

fatma seif
New Pal

Egypt
11 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  1:12:17 PM  Show Profile Send fatma seif a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fatma seif

Hi every one
I'm planning to order Options Interchangeable Nickel Plated Circular Knitting Needle Set.
And I have read the reviews about Options Interchangeable Harmony Wood Circular Knitting Needle Set
I have never used wood needle before .
I'm wondered if the harmony wood needle is silky and smooth like nickel plated
And can I knit with it all type of knitting as lace, with wool yarn, cotton yarn, silk yarn .
And nickel plated needle can be enough for all types of knitting ?

Which better for all kind of knitting nickel plated or harmony wood?
I'll buy just one set
Which one you recommended to knit with it all the time?

Thanks for all

Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  2:54:38 PM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, my! You have wandered into the world of entirely personal preference. I will tell you what I think, but this applies to me. I have the metal set of Options and also a few Harmony tips. For general knitting, I prefer the metal. For lace, I use the wooden tips. They are indeed very smooth, but they are wood and so they are not as slick as the metal needles. With laceweight yarn, that is a plus for me.

Other people may have different opinions.

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
543 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  7:39:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some of the Knit Picks Options sets and all three tips: the nickel-plated, harmony wood and the acrylic. Wood and bamboo needles are always my hands-down favorites for the majority of my knitting. The KP Harmony wood needles have a nice finish, sort of middle-ground as far as slickness is concerned; slick for wood, but not quite as slippery as the nickel.

I rarely use the metal needles because the glare bothers my eyes, so if you have any vision problems, do be aware of that. The things I dislike about ALL my Knit Picks needles are that (1) the points are really sharp and (2) there is a pronounced "line" where the taper ends and the shaft begins (for me, that's like a speed bump). However, both those things mostly disappear with the smaller sizes (as for socks), which I use the most.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2389 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  07:07:10 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some Harmony wood needles and love them. I have metal needles but hardly ever use them...too slippery.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

fatma seif
New Pal

Egypt
11 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  4:04:05 PM  Show Profile Send fatma seif a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for you all for replay
I have very old needle I think it's nickel
It's very silky, and I love it
So I decided to order nickel plated and size 2&3 harmony

But I have question
what size I need to knit lace
Is it small size like 4&6 us , or large size like 8&10us
Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  08:50:53 AM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't do very much lace, but I think in most cases you are more likely to use 4-6 than the larger sizes.

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page

Janettoo
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  8:36:31 PM  Show Profile Send Janettoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But I have question
what size I need to knit lace
Is it small size like 4&6 us , or large size like 8&10us

The size for lace depends totally on the size of the yarn you use and how you want your lace to look. I do a lot of lace with thin yarn, laceweight or fingering (sock). I prefer that my lace is not too loose. If there is a solid section I want it to look solid. I tend to use thin/small needles like 2 to 5 US size. If I was using a thicker yarn, then I might use larger needles.

Janet in TN

PS. I had both the nickel-plated and the wooden Knit-Picks needles. I had to stop using the metal ones because they give me an itchy rash. I have trouble with other things that contain nickel. I still use the wooden ones, but some have a bit of a gap where the metal holding the cord meets the wood, and it grabs the yarn if I'm using a very thin yarn.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe