Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Hats, berets, and other head coverings
 knitting with elastic thread
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CrystalCactus
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  1:44:38 PM  Show Profile Send CrystalCactus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone ever used elastic thread held together and knitted with the yarn for the band in a knitted beret? Any special techniques needed?

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  9:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is what I can tell you: A few years ago, I knitted a very thin strand of elastic into the cuffs of knee socks. It didn't work. I am pretty sure it was because the elastic was so thin that it sank and lost its ability to stretch. I wound up turning the socks inside out and threading more elastic in with a yarn needle, slipping the needle behind the ks in the ribbing. Best adivce I can give is to swatch and see what it does when knitted in. You may be happier threading the elastic in after the beret is knitted. It's a pain, I know, so I saved this project for a flight from Denver to England! Plenty of time to kill!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

CrystalCactus
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  04:36:42 AM  Show Profile Send CrystalCactus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[I can see how the elastic would wear out fast if it was knitted in with the yarn--especially if the item was worn for hours at a time...
Go to Top of Page

CrystalCactus
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  04:38:32 AM  Show Profile Send CrystalCactus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ceil. I think your sewing method has a lot of advantages, including being able to replace the elastic when it wears out.
Go to Top of Page

memoir
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  9:03:35 PM  Show Profile Send memoir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sewed the elastic in ,I could of done a better job,small stitches..memoir
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  9:02:30 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the LYSs carries a line of elastic thread in all kinds of colors, so I've matched the thread to the project yarn (slightly darker, if not exact, but not lighter -- I learned that one) and used it for the brim of a tam, but I don't know how it worked out since both tams were gifts. I also have used it in the waistband of toddler longies, again as gifts. I carried the elastic thread along with the yarn, so it was knitted in.

sja
Go to Top of Page

Purrknits
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  05:57:25 AM  Show Profile Send Purrknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used knitted-in elastic in the waistband/bottom ribbing of some cotton sweaters I made many years ago. It was clear and I believe was manufactured by Bernat. I still have 2 of those sweaters and the elastic has held up very well.
Go to Top of Page

herbmama
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  06:01:20 AM  Show Profile Send herbmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used the fine elastic sold in yarn shops once, knitted in to the ribbing of a cotton sweater project and will never use it again. Maybe over time it has improved since that was 20 years ago, but I was disappointed with the results. The elastic did not hold up very long and began to snap and break. I ended up pulling it out as best I could. I think it eventually all worked itself out.
Go to Top of Page

stitchellen
Warming Up

55 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  06:50:35 AM  Show Profile Send stitchellen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used knit-in elastic for the bottom ribbing on a sweater more than 20 years ago but didn't like it. It was knitted top-down, so I just frogged the ribbing and reknit it without the elastic. If you really have to have an elasticized beret band, I would try knitting the band as a casing and insert regular elastic a bit more narrow than the casing. You would begin the band flat and then join to knit circular for the second half of the band.
Go to Top of Page

Daylily
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  10:56:37 AM  Show Profile Send Daylily a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a stretchy cast on that I learned from a video on you Tube. It is by Tillybuddy. It really is stretchy without losing stretch after being stretched out. Go to YouTube and search for Tillybuddy and stretchy caston.

Daylily, another one tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

beesnez
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  08:34:05 AM  Show Profile Send beesnez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I struggle with this issue all the time with making hats for my son and never seeming to be able to get the brim the right size and not have it stretch out with wear. I have never knitted elastic together with yarn, but I did make a beret out of Cascade Yarns Fixation, and I loved the stretchiness of that. Another idea I have seen, but not tried yet, is to enclose a stretchy nylon headband into the brim of the beret.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.46 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe