Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 heels that last
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  6:06:00 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love making socks but wear them out on both the ball of the foot and under my heel. Even just my bed socks are wearing out that way.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  2:10:30 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do a flap heel and have not had a problem, however, when I was starting to make socks, I would often use a "reinforcement thread" on the heel and toe to give them extra strength.
judy
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  12:16:52 PM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do an afterthought heel so that I can rip out the old, holey heel and replace it with a new heel. I would also consider using reinforcing thread on the heel and toes but in your case to extend the threaded zone beyond the toe to the beginning of your arch. Also, the tighter the gauge, the longer the sock will last.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  4:40:56 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a heel flap most of the time and knit it either in Eye of the Partridge pattern, or alternate knit one, knit one through the back loop, or knit one, slip one. Going down one size one the needles is also a good idea.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  06:54:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have learned to do some or all of the aforementioned things, too ... and the tighter/smaller the gauge, the longer-wearing the sock. I often go down a needle size just for the heels. Using really good yarn helps, too, those with a good wear-like-iron reputation, 75-80% wool with the remainder in nylon, etc. And I have a hard time resisting the urge to use reinforcement thread (I use the "sock" reinforcement yarns) for my known wear spots, regardless of the quality of yarn I use. I always think, since I'm already knitting these anyway ...

To my senses, some of the better wearing sock yarns have a less-soft feel to them in the skein, but they do soften up a bit after being washed, and they feel just fine to my feet.

Also, after reading Clara's The Knitter's Book of Socks, I've been reminded that socks are designed to be worn (except for bed socks, I suppose) inside proper-fitting shoes. And I never go around in just my sock feet; that's hard on socks.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  6:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get a pedicure! Socks wear between your feet and what you walk on. If you soften your feet it will make your socks last that little bit longer. Also check out patterns with stranded pattern on the feet. knitters Book of
Socks has 2 or 3 of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  9:57:38 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wear mine out in the same places, Margie----Aaaaak!

I have darned the holes, and that has given me more wear, but I want to figure out how to knit in a nylon thread along on the heel and the ball of the foot, but not over the top of the sock. This has not appeared on my radar yet!

Lots of hints here: I think reinforcing the areas is what to go for, I just am not sure of how!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  2:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eldergirl/Anna ... I have "knit-woven" reinforcement thread across the bottom only of socks. I start across the bottom and when I am ready for the instep, I just drop the reinforcement thread; I cut a plentiful length and after knitting the next row across the sole, I use a tapestry needle to go across the just-knit row (half round?) BACK to the beginning of the sole half. On round 3, I knit across again, drop the yarn at the instep and then repeat.

Is this understandable at all? It takes a bit of extra time, but for me it is only for about an inch or so, and isn't all that bad, really.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  8:53:47 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Donna! I actually understand this, and had always wondered how folks went "back" to the beginning of the sole half.!

Many thanks,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  3:32:31 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try many of them. I am using some gunk on my feet to make them softer (errr, forgot to ask for more today -- ah well, must have been thinking of other things).

I probably walk a great deal more than the rest of the world. A) I don't drive, b) have a service dog and we're to be out at least an hour a day ( helps on the waist :-), and I have to walk to and from the bus at least. No complaints, just wish my sock heels (and toes sometimes) would last last and then some.

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  6:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was told by my DH's podiatrist to use vasoline on his feet. The doc cought me rubbing lotion on his feet. (My DH had very pitted and rough feet, as a result of being stationed in Vietnam.) Within just a week I could see a marked improvement in his feet. Just before bed I occasionaly rub a very small amount on my heels. A very small amount is all that is needed. Then I rub my hands together and around my cuticles. By using a very small amount your feet and hands are not greasy, but it does make a difference.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  07:07:07 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Donna, I really like your idea of only going half way around the foot. I've knitted socks with reinforcement thread recently, and couldn't get a good color match. Totally changed the look of the sock and i wasn't really happy about it. I'll try your method next time. If there's a color change at least it will be only on the bottom of the foot.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.