Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Movies / Articles / Celebrities / Books / News
 Knitting and the Olympics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  4:29:08 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those of us who have been here at KR for a LONG time will remember we used to do the Knitting Olympics. We'd pick a project, cast on for the opening ceremonies and work on it whilst we enjoyed all those lovely young athletes doing their things. Is anyone doing anything special for watching the Olympics?

I am working on a summer cardi for a good friend using some incredibly wonderful French lace weight pima cotton held triple strand. Since I'm designing it myself, it should be fun and interesting.

M L

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  4:39:23 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Milinda! I'll be working on a wide scarf; it's right here in front of me while I wait for the opening ceremonies to start!
Who knows? Maybe I'll finish it while the Games are on!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1684 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  4:48:45 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm not knitting anything specifically for during the Olympics, I do plan to knit while watching them. One of my current projects is a rather plain Ann Norling vest made with Universal Yarns Classic Shades in the rust colorway. I, however, will miss the first half of the Olympics as we will be departing for our cabin in the mountains. You can rest assured that I will be knitting plenty there.
judy
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3974 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  06:01:15 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started a top-down raglan in Euroflax using Brenda Dayne's method. I attended her class back in early June.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  06:34:55 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Down here in Oz it is a bit difficult to watch the Olympics live as it is daytime in UK when we are in night time. There is about a 10 hour difference. I do not know if I will get to watch much of the Olympics. I tend to forget my knitting when watching TV. I am still trying to get myself back into knitting properly after being so sick. A lot of the time I do not feel like doing much.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  5:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Olympic watching is prime knitting time for me, and coincidentally I did cast on one of Mmario's shawl patterns this afternoon.

Gotta love the sense of humor on a reigning monarch who'll cooperate with an illusion showing her supposedly parachuting out of a helicopter in company with James Bond...

My wish for the athletes is that each of them will accomplish a personal best, and none of them get hurt.

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  6:34:00 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AuntyNin, what a lovely sentiment! I can do no more than second it.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  1:48:10 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grand-moogi

Down here in Oz it is a bit difficult to watch the Olympics live as it is daytime in UK when we are in night time. There is about a 10 hour difference. I do not know if I will get to watch much of the Olympics.

It's 8 hours earlier here in Phoenix than it is in London, but NBC is time delaying most of the coverage to throw it into prime time. You can watch live and replays on your computer if you have fast enough carrier(s).

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  3:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'll break down and start some socks!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

mrssuem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
457 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  1:09:33 PM  Show Profile Send mrssuem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What with soooooooooooo many commercial interruptions, I'm able to work on a new lace shawl in between events. Way to much down time.
Go to Top of Page

scotgirl
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  12:51:05 PM  Show Profile Send scotgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm loving the Olympics, we get everything live being in the UK, and because it's the on the BBC we don't have any adverts. Today I managed to knit a pair of mittens during the Archery contest, and a pair of bootees during the swimming!
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  1:57:07 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scotgirl, you go, girl!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  2:06:31 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I absolutely LOVED the segment with the Queen, Bond and the corgis. She has a marvelous sense of humor.

Congratulations to all the young athletes who have given it their all so far.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  01:11:24 AM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made myself laugh at myself, yesterday. I had never seen the white water rafting competition before, and I was transfixed.

So I was listening to the commentators, reporters, etc., and then DH came into the room and he watched, and I started explaining the ins and outs, like I was an expert!!

DH asked me how long I had watched the canoeing, and I said, "Oh, about 15 minutes."

We now have a new joke between us.

Go to Top of Page

mjhealy
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  04:06:32 AM  Show Profile Send mjhealy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sports in general agree with knitting. You can listen to the commentators and pick your head up for the replay if you miss anything.

I'm enjoying the Olympics too. The highlight for me will be seeing Oscar Pistorius, the double leg amputee, sprint. Monumental, epic moment for people with differences. My son is a congenital arm amputee and Oscar competing is exciting and inspirational.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  06:04:20 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Scotgirl, ae those mittens and boottees for the dolls?

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  2:48:17 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mjhealy

Sports in general agree with knitting. You can listen to the commentators and pick your head up for the replay if you miss anything.

I'm enjoying the Olympics too. The highlight for me will be seeing Oscar Pistorius, the double leg amputee, sprint. Monumental, epic moment for people with differences. My son is a congenital arm amputee and Oscar competing is exciting and inspirational.

:: I agree completely with you about Oscar. They call him The Blade Runner and I can not wait to watch him compete. No matter what happens, he is an inspiration with great spirit.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  2:50:49 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greyling

I made myself laugh at myself, yesterday. I had never seen the white water rafting competition before, and I was transfixed.

So I was listening to the commentators, reporters, etc., and then DH came into the room and he watched, and I started explaining the ins and outs, like I was an expert!!

DH asked me how long I had watched the canoeing, and I said, "Oh, about 15 minutes."

We now have a new joke between us.

:: I know what you mean. I was watching the same sport and really getting into it. But that is part of the fun of the Olympics. Pretty soon you are spouting all the talk, such as, "Wow, he bobbled that landing and he stuck his." I'm quite in the know about fencing these days. LOL

M L
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  6:55:07 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to Michael Phelps for his 20th Olympic medal!

And Gabby Douglas for taking the gold and being the first African American to do it. She is adorable. The entire American women's gymnastic team were beautiful. A real team, no divas there.

Congratulations to all the kids who are competing. I'm having a blast! And I'm doing a bit of tinking, too, as I lose my concentration easily while watching.

M L
Go to Top of Page

scotgirl
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  2:18:01 PM  Show Profile Send scotgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hasn't Michael Phelps done well, I've really enjoyed the swimming, and I am really looking forward to the track and field events which started today.
Grand-moogi the booties and mittens are for a baby, I'm knitting the matching cardigan now watching the heptathlon
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  2:53:31 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, Scotgirl, you go, girl, you go!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?