Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Have you ever used a CSM?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  6:46:43 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a circular sock machine - most are reburbished antiques, but there are two brands that you can buy new. I've never seen one in person, only in pictures and videos, and they intrigue me.

I have some money saved up (from selling my knitted hats and baked goods at the Farmer's Market) and am toying with the idea of getting one. I'm wondering how hard it will be to learn on my own.(I don't want to buy it and have it sit in a box for a decade.)

Advice? Comments? I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance to take classes or whatever, but I live in south central Nebraska, and I need to be able to get there in a day's drive, so lessons in Virginia or Oregon, etc. are not feasible.

Jan

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2013 :  08:54:45 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a long time since I posed this question, and thought I'd give an update. Only ONE person responded (through PM) and we've been talking ever since.

I bought an Erlbacher Gearhart reproduction CSM made right here in the USA. The learning curve was daunting, but I finally achieved success. I still hand knit, just not socks. This machine is absolutely awesome! I have knitted my way through almost my entire sock yarn stash, and much more that I've since purchased. Since Christmas, I've given socks to each of my 5 grown children, a couple pair to my elderly father whose feet have been cold since chemo, and sold about 15 pair. Prior to the CSM, I made 2 - 3 pair per YEAR.

A CSM may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I LOVE mine, and have met a lot of really nice people who also "crank". If you've ever considered buying one, I highly recommend it!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  11:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A big smile for you! I'm so glad you are happy with your machine and doing great.

I give myself another month, knock on wood, and I should be better and back to making socks. Just hope the doctors don't find anything else to fix!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

terryrb81
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  06:11:33 AM  Show Profile Send terryrb81 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are socks the only thing you can knit on this knitting machine? Could you knit hats too?
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  2:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Terry. Yes, you can make more than socks, not that I have done so, but it is possible. I have been down to Mo. to the manufacturing plant. I can tell you that they bend over backwards to help you learn how to use your machine. Wonderful people.

Just a few examples of what is possible: Hats, mittens, gloves, leg/arm/elbow warmers, stuffed toys, flat or circular pieces to sew/graft together as blankets and the list goes on. Oh, yes, there is i-cord, I hate to hand knit i-cord! ;-)

I now have two complete csm's from the Erlbacher Gearhart Company and love them.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe