Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Vacation Knitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tangneyc
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  3:36:43 PM  Show Profile Send tangneyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many projects do you take with you? I think I packed six. It's only one week, but I'm afraid I'll run out of things to knit...and I'm a slow knitter, LOL.

Cindy

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2085 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  4:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Great topic, Cindy! I have copped an idea from our brainy Purlewe who has often taken her UFOs w/her. My knitting bag holds a scarf for a family friend who will go off to college this fall, a Jayne hat for a friend who loves Firefly & Cobb, a bag of singletons which I hope to turn into ear warmers for my partner's nieces & grandnieces.

Ah, the fear of "I'm away from home & do I have enuf knitting?" I know it well & I am a pokey puppy too.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1464 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  08:59:46 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bring enough sock yarn to complete a pair a week. I also try to visit a LYS where I'm visiting. I'll but enough yarn there for a medium project and a pair of socks or 2. I do not sleep on planes, so I can finish a sock on the flight to Europe, and one on the flight home. I have been known to gift the socks I finish on vacation to people I meet. I have socks in Greece, the Hebrides, the Shetlands, Cornwall, London, and the Netherlands.
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  12:36:31 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bring many more than I could ever hope to do/finish. I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago and finished a sweater and a pair of socks, Worked on a vest that I had already started and a scarf, started another pair of socks, and had enough yarn with me for another vest (still not started). I also finished reading a book, read a whole book, and 2/3 of another.....I was up in the woods at my cabin, no touristy stuff.
judy
Go to Top of Page

Kipster
Seriously Hooked

740 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  1:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kipster's Homepage Send Kipster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I'm about six months overdue in gifting a baby blanket, that's what I brought on vacation. Only that. (Except for the washcloth that I finished on the way.) Since I had no other knitting distractions, I was able to knit a few inches on it and am now a little more than half-done. Knowing that I passed the half-way point makes me feel pretty good about actually finishing the thing.

However, now that I'm home--bring on the lace shawl, socks, sweater and hat that are on-the-needles!

Mary
http://snitnknit.blogspot.com/

Ravelry: McMary
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4170 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  1:25:59 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually bring a big project and then enough yarn for two pairs of socks. And, of course, a list of LYSes!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  4:31:41 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Cindy, I'm kind of like you. I pack everything I can think of that I might conceivably want to work on, usually a combination of WIPs, guage swatches, and current projects. It's a little obsessive, but I like having the selection and who knows what mood might strike me on vacation.
quote:
I have been known to gift the socks I finish on vacation to people I meet. I have socks in Greece, the Hebrides, the Shetlands, Cornwall, London, and the Netherlands.

^ That is just lovely, Socks4all!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  5:45:51 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Socks4all What a great idea. Your name is truly you. I sent a pair of knitted slippers to a friend of my daughter in Pakistan but other than that my knitting is all in Oz.
Cindy, this is a good thread because it bears thinking about. I had to take hubby to another town for medical tests and I did not have anything to knit while waiting so I grabbed a bag that I use to contain all my dish cloth cottons and grabbed a circular needle (who cares what size) and raced out. I wished I had put some thought into preparing some knitting that I could take with me on occasions like that.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  07:05:31 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are going on vacation in Nov. and I am not taking
any knitting. I am giving my thumb a rest. I have been knitting so much my thumb has started to bother me, so
I will be on a forced rest on vacation.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

tangneyc
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2012 :  7:02:23 PM  Show Profile Send tangneyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is interesting how we are on vacation. Thanks for the responses. I just got back from a week of camping. I really overpacked my knitting and brought waaaaay too many things with me. I only barely managed to finish the Tulips sweater for my daughter on the very last evening. I had visions of socks and mittens and cowls flying off the needles. Same problem as at home, kidlets need too much from Mom at 4 and 5 years old! A black bear wandered through our campsite yesterday noon, that was exciting and a bit scary.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  04:46:27 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually bring at least two projects, even for overnight, one easy thing I can knit with my eyes closed, a simple sock, when my attention is elsewhere and one that I have to think about, usually lace. If going for a week like you are I would throw in things for another simple sock or 2 so i could change my mind and some lace weight and needles. Small stitches take the same amount of time as big ones but a lot less room in the suitcase.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by