Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Political discussions
 Presidential Election
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2012 :  4:37:43 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flicka

originally posted by Grand-moogi:

quote:
NO matter who you vote for, you still get a politician!

Well, yes, I guess if you are running for office you are a politician. I happen to believe that politicians can work for the good, as well as the stereotype that your comment implies. If you think all politicians are venal, etc., why would you vote and urge others to vote?

I feel well-served by most of my representatives (7th District, Washington State). I do not like the partisan mess that the monied interests have supported, but I feel my representatives have done the best they can.

flicka

:: I'm with you on this matter, Flicka. I don't happen to think our representative from Eastern WA is good at all, but we have some good people here in WA, two excellent senators and a wonderful governor who has worked for us. I do not think all politicians are vile.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  04:39:36 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assure you I agree with you. I know some excellent politicians. I am sorry, the quote was just a throw away line that some people say when they feel frustrated at the choice they have to make. Remember we cannot choose whether to vote. It is compulsory here and there are times when we do feel frustrated. We have two major parties and a few medium parties. Sometimes they seem much of a muchness. You like one party but it has this flaw so you look at another party and it is fine except for that. You think "What difference does it make? No matter who I vote for, there will be something I do not agree with" Sometimes no matter how good your representative is, the party system and the "big bucks" have more influence than they should and your good representative can "whistle dixie" as far as getting anything major done is concerned.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

881 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  09:23:05 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grand-moogi, I'm relieved that you didn't take offense at my soapbox posting. I agree, sometimes the choices are not very palatable. I've just been lucky that my principles are (mostly) shared by my elected officials.

Here is a link to an op-ed piece about one of the good guys:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/27/opinion/keller-the-last-bipartisan.html?hpw

flicka
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2012 :  06:56:59 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We got rid of some of the nuts in the Arizona primary. Hope we get rid of some more in the General Election. Gov Brewer even endorsed President Obama! :)

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2012 :  2:01:55 PM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a couple of comments. On the original question about Ryan, I don't have much of an opionion other than he has to be better Sarah Palin. She still hasn't figured out that she should educate herself on current events, geography, etc. At least Ryan seems to be fairly intelligent and knowledegable. When it comes right down to it, the VP doesn't do much but hang out in case the president dies.

Also, I agree with the several statements about voting. You deserve what you get if you don't vote. It's especially important for women to vote -- we haven't had that right for all that long and we need to make our voices hear.

On a related topic I'm reading an article right now about the Republican party and how panicked they were when Obama was elected. Their stated goals were to become the majority in Congress (makes sense) and to block anything and everything Obama tried to get done. Whether or not you agree with Obama (or whomever is president), Congress is elected to do what is best for the country. It's appalling that they would deliberately sabotage any effort to get anything done. No wonder they been so ineffective these last 4 years.

I loved the initiative a couple of years ago when knitters made hats for every member of Congress. There was a great letter to go with the hats that was totally non-partisan and encourageed them to get along. I made them for my 2 senators (got one really nice letter back) and a big idiot in the House from my hometown in another state. He probably needed instructions on how to put a hat on.

Wow -- didn't mean to go on a rant -- just my two cents.
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  07:12:26 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And worth every penny (or two), lucybug.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  04:17:03 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys: you MUST vote. Every vote matters. Apathy from the voting public is the downfall of democracy. I know, I know... it doesn't seem to matter but it does. I was born in Cuba. Lived there until I was 11. Political apathy is what made room for dictatorship which lead to poverty and hunger and massive injustice. We are SOOOoooooo lucky to be able to vote, regardless of the outcome. You never know when a single vote will turn an election.

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  5:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a nation as great as ours, with the history we have, it amazes me that we so often feel we must choose the lesser of two evils in MANY elections, local or national. Why aren't we tearing out our hair trying to decide between the cream of the crop? It should be, "Oh, my, they are BOTH so good with such great ideas that I am having a terrible time deciding."

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?