Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 The best chair to knit in
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  05:27:00 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is really part of your knitting technique.
What do you think is the best sort of chair to knit in?
Straight back or lounge chair? Arms or no arms?
Personally I prefer to have arms that I can rest my elbows on but I know some in our knitting group do not like arms so I started to wonder about it.

I knit a hug into every stitch

EmEm
Warming Up

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  10:34:21 AM  Show Profile Send EmEm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I never really thought about it too much. I get so excited when I have a couple of minutes to knit that I sit wherever. I think I would pick "no arms" lounge chairs so I don't feel cramped in. But my knitting group sits at a big table which uses straight wooden chairs. Now I'll be thinking about it.
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  1:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mind a chair with arms as long as the arms are not too high. I also do fine in the center of the couch with no arms at all. My husband bought me a new "knitting chair" for my birthday a few months ago and I took knitting with me to pick it out, mostly to test the arms. It's a chaise-type recliner, and I like that I can adjust the footrest in several different positions, because I like putting my feet up when I knit. My trouble now is that I never want to get up. Too easy to go from knitting to knap ...

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

tangneyc
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  1:18:15 PM  Show Profile Send tangneyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like big comfy chairs with low arms. I always end up slouched and sitting sideways.

Cindy
Fuzzythinker on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  3:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite spot is to sit cross legged in the middle of the couch, the surrounding area is frequently covered in graph paper, a mechanical pencil, a large eraser, various sizes of needles, my ipad, and a few stitch dictionaries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2041 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  8:15:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My knitting chair is very old. I bought it way back when I didn't use circular knitting needles; I don't think they were much in demand back then. I took my strights with me to make sure the arms wouldn't be in the way. I ended up buying a glider, with arms of course and with a matching glider footstool. As old as it is I still love it.

Now the funny part: I just bought a CSM and have been using one of my dining room chairs for it. They are just as old, but 2 years ago I had them reupholstered and the guy that did it used a thicker, more dense foam. Friday I moved from that chair to my glider and felt like I was falling into the depths of Hell. Man, there sure is a difference in the height of the seat.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1673 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  1:46:13 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can knit almost anywhere, but I prefer my big recliner with my beagle, Harmony lying right next to me.
judy
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

755 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  05:21:17 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will knit anywhere but my all time favorite place is in the middle of my bed. I think its because I sit with one leg straight and the other bend almost under me. Donna
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  6:38:16 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two rocking chairs that I love - a La Z Boy, and a lower-backed one. Both have ottomans (yeah, I don't ever actually use the foot rest on the La Z Boy), so I can put my feet up, rock, and knit. Ahhhhhh.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1699 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  3:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get concerned about knitting on a chair with arms because they can immobilize the upper halves of my arms. As I teach knitters that we knit with our arms, we need every bit of them available!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  10:26:58 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately my neck and shoulders get very sore if I sit and knit without support for my arms. Maybe that is because I have arthritis everywhere.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  5:53:44 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit in a curl up into lounger and I no longer use the footrest. As mentioned before, the arms are low, whole thing's large and comfy.

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1784 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  9:33:14 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm like Grand-moogi, and need a chair that supports my arms. But I do pretty well on a couch with cushions behind me, and sitting in the couch corner, so the high, comfy arm sort of supports me with side pressure.

But upstairs in my bedroom, I have the perfect chair. It is a rocker, with wonderful stuffing, a low enough seat so that my short legs can reach the floor if I want, and low, stuffed arms on which my elbows can rest or not. And why, you ask, don't I use it more often?

Well, my husband is down stairs on his couch, and the TV is down here, and my chair upstairs has not been unpacked since our last trip to France which was some time ago! (Ahem . my bad.)

The stupid things we do.....Oh, and the upstairs rocker is covered in a sort of summery stripe and the living room has a sort of deep-colored "paisley" theme.

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  04:45:20 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like a straight-backed chair that supports the small of my back properly. But I'll knit anywhere, including on public transport!
Go to Top of Page

ukjent
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  05:49:36 AM  Show Profile Send ukjent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite knitting chair is a Hitchcock rocker that was a gift from my Dad. I love to rock and knit, and this one's arms are low enough not to interfere. My grandmother had an armless rocker to knit in, which my sister-in-law now has, but with circular needles chair arms are not a problem.
Go to Top of Page

grammy1124
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  05:59:41 AM  Show Profile Send grammy1124 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't post very often, but thought I would on this one. I sit in a recliner so I can have my feet up. I use a pillow so I can sit up straight while I knit. The key thing is I use a Table Mate table with the legs and table top adjusted so I can slide it over my legs. The top of the table is about 5 or 6 inches above my legs. I set my laptop on it and there is also room for knitting equipment, instructions, etc., which are easily reachable and off my lap. I put narrow sliders on the bottom legs of the table so it can be pushed away when I want to put down the footrest and get up. Having my laptop in front of me makes it so nice to be able to see my pattern in large print as well as view charts and photos in larger format. I hooked up a separate keyboard so I can type without having to move the laptop to my lap. I just keep the keyboard on the open laptop and move it to my lap when I need it and then move it back again to get it out of the way. I've had this setup for about 8 years now and love the convenience of keepiing everything handy in front of me and at the same time I'm comfortable while I knit.
Go to Top of Page

tempeh
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  06:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit tempeh's Homepage Send tempeh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to knit sitting in the middle of my bed. To get my back "just right" I use a wedge pillow with a sleeping pillow between the wedge and my back. That keeps me perfectly upright. I like having my feet up and being able to sit cross-legged or with legs outstretched.
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  06:36:27 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a barrel back chair with low arms that was my Grandmother's.I had it re-upholstered about 10 years ago and it is my fave knitting chair. Maybe my knitting posture has changed because for years, I knit in Grandma's wing back chair! Now the arms feel too high but I can manage. I pretty much can knit everywhere but lying down!
KnittingKittens
Go to Top of Page

carlyta
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  07:04:34 AM  Show Profile Send carlyta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I treated myself to a Lazy Boy rocker recliner to knit & crochet in. I have a step stool to put my feet up and I can do the same with my chair. It supports my back very well and I can sit and knit all day. It is so comfortable that I can take naps in it.

Carlyta
Go to Top of Page

KathleenR
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  07:50:03 AM  Show Profile Send KathleenR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being blissfully retired, I have lots of time to knit. I am losing my sight due to Macular Degeneration, though, so I choose knitting spots with lots of light. My favorite is in bed, propped up on a big pillow with my first three cups of coffee, knitting in the beautiful east light. Knitting at night doesn't work for me, so my next best place is out on the shaded swing in the garden. Lots of good light there!
Go to Top of Page

texas44
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  10:35:00 AM  Show Profile Send texas44 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit in an easy chair with arms and with a pillow under right elbow. I guess it has low arms. I need back support for long hours of blissful knitting in front of TV. I can watch all the old movies I missed.
What about chairs for using Navajo spindle? I've just learned that tool and can't find a comfy chair yet.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?