Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 RIP knitting projects
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  10:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to pay tribute to knitting projects that have found an untimely demise through no fault of their own.

There's the lace alpaca scarf that I knitted for a friend and that she wore non-stop for a year until her mother visited and decided to wash it in the machine.
There's my awesome pair of Socks that Rock socks (one of my first pairs!) that had a fateful encounter with a nail on my floorboards.
There's a pair of String Theory Bluestocking socks that played hide-and-seek in a pair of pants and ended up in the washing machine.

(hey, is the cause of death of your projects mostly felting too?)

Share your thoughts on your knitting projects that are gone but not forgotten!

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  05:37:27 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh boy! I bet your friend felt like putting the scarf round her mother's neck and pulling it tight!
I cannot think of any projects that met with an untimely demise but then again I have not really known what happened to most of my knitting. I have on occasion had things returned for repairs. I think my knitting just fades away into oblivion - somewhere - maybe in knitting heaven.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  06:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pair of non-superwash socks that will now fit a toddler thanks to a well-meaning guest who wanted to be of help. A pullover sweater knit of fine Italian wool MANY years ago for my late first husband, later claimed up by eldest teen daughter and eventually (accidentally, of course) put through washer and dryer. I don't know what finally became of that beloved sweater ... if I had it myself after it shrank, I think I would have cut it up to recycle into coasters or some sort of crafts.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

277 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  08:22:46 AM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More felting aaccidents. Oldest son's socks- one went in the washer, the other, who knows where? A pair of socks that I thought were superwash, weren't. RIP.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  5:44:41 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I spent a year (on and off) knitting a Noro entrelac scarf/shawl, and lost it the 2nd time I wore it. I'm thinking I probably put it on the back of a chair at a restaurant and it slipped onto the floor? I still mourn that one.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  6:08:07 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a lovely hat with a fancy charted pattern from some lovely silver colored merino/silk yarn. Got all done and the only person in my large-headed family that could wear it was my 2 year old grandson. He loved it and wore it for parts of two winters and then set it down during a shopping trip at a mall. He was heartbroken, but not nearly as much as I was. His next hat was in Encore and a much simpler pattern. (He still loves the hat that grandma made because "It's the color of my eyes!")

Thirty years ago, I was given a hand-woven blanket as a baby gift.....yes, it went through the washer and dryer...oops!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  02:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes accidental felting is a major cause here too....

But one of the ones that stick out in my mind, is one that got "ruined" about 25 years ago. My mother had knitted that one, a cotton sweater with a very unusual crossed-stitches pattern all over it. I really loved that sweater and I worn it a lot, but at that time I started to go into research and the data we measured, we measured on photographic paper. The paper we had to develop our own and we had dark-rooms complete with the chemical baths to do so. And yes we were wearing lab-coats, but this was work in the very near dark and yes that sweater got some drops of the developer on it. Those drops turned black and I though that some bleach might help..... The drops did disappear after that, problem was so did the fabric....

sniff sniff

(and yes after that, it was only old clothes on days that dark room work might occur, these days we don't measure on paper anymore....)

Marjolein

http://kantajour.blogspot.com
my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
On Ravelry: Marjotse
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

761 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  05:29:39 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My tribute would be to my first shawl. It was the first thing I ever knitted for my self. Some how it made it to my washer and dryer I was folding cloths when I found it. Whats funny is I try to felt things now and they only get bigger. Donna

I should give tribute to my tree of life afghan,only my trees keep coming out as bushes.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

698 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  02:05:30 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A red and white Norwegian ski sweater in Per Gynt yarn knit by my mother. I washed it in the washing machine on cold, but it still got slightly felted.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

purlgin
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  04:12:36 AM  Show Profile Send purlgin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A scarf -- but what a scarf. I went to a talk by Nikki Epstein, the knitting designer, and loved the scarf she was wearing. I actually went up and asked her about it (not normal behavior for me.) Tracked down the pattern, and the exact same yarn. Knit on it for about two years (okay, not continuously, but still it was fingering yarn), knit two dozen little squiggles, which trimmed it. Done -- loved it. Wore it for the first time on a trip to Phileadelphia and left it neatly folded on the shelf in the hotel closet. Gone without a trace. I like to think some kind person found it and took it to live on a beautiful farm.
Go to Top of Page

terryknits2
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  04:39:47 AM  Show Profile Send terryknits2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine is a somewhat similar tale to some others. I knit my son a colorwork cashmere scarf that he loved and wore everywhere until the day he accidentally left it behind in a coffee shop. He went back to try to retrieve it but, alas, someone else had walked off with it. It took him a couple of months to tell me thinking I would be upset. But I was delighted! First - he loved it and wore it! Second - I got to knit him another one (although not the same...)
Go to Top of Page

baba
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  04:42:16 AM  Show Profile Send baba a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure this counts because my project is not dead just in intensive care.
I have made a pair of argyle socks for my husband. Both are finished to the Kitchner of the toes. They were in a bag in my studio. I was sweeping ( there lies the first problem) and I got too close. Well the wooden needles look like match sticks and the toes are swallowed by the sweeper. It will take some major surgery but I believe they will walk.
Go to Top of Page

mjhknits
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  10:26:31 AM  Show Profile Send mjhknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was knitting the first of a pair of socks in 4 carefully selected different colors of Shibui variegated sock yarn. The pattern was waves in different colors and I LOVED it. I was visiting in NYC and in the rush to pay and get out, Ileft my knitting in a taxi. I called the central lost and found, but I couldn't seem to convince them that it was serious enough to do anything about. But I'm stubborn and started over with new Shibui yarn. I do love those socks.
Go to Top of Page

Gibson Girl
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  10:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gibson Girl's Homepage Send Gibson Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knitted a spectacular sweater for a ski trip to Aspin -luscious colors and yarn and pretty jazzy looking. Boy was I ever going to be a fashionista. Had the car loaded with all the gear, but didn't count on getting robbed for my car radio at my boyfriends condo. So there's some skanky moll wearing my fabulous sweater. I always wished I could have seen her in it somewhere and called the law. Sometimes there just isn't any justice.
Go to Top of Page

Dom2
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  11:50:22 AM  Show Profile Send Dom2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many years ago, I knit an aran cabled sweater for my toddler son (crazy, I know. But I thought I might actually complete a smaller size.) I turned out beautifully and I was taking it to show my Mom. Getting everything loaded, I put the bag with the sweater on top of the car. You can guess how this turns out. Never found the bag or the sweater but hope it fell off the care right in front of someone who had a toodler to enjoy it!
Go to Top of Page

purlgin
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  12:38:05 PM  Show Profile Send purlgin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ann of Mason-Dixon Knitting (http://www.masondixonknitting.com/) posted a gripping tale of knitting loss Aug. 20.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  2:08:22 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine is a little baseball sweater I knit for my gs when he was a baby. I had knit many things for his sister always machine wash and dry, but this sweater was wool and I forgot to tell mom. Well
she wash and dryed per usual and called me crying that it had shrunk. She is very crafty so she framed it with a baseball backgroud and it hangs in his room.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Jessica-Jean
New Pal

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  4:43:40 PM  Show Profile Send Jessica-Jean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too many, but none to felting.
1) my first try at dpns - a pair of warm wool gloves, with cables on the backs of the hands. The only gloves that ever fit my hands!! Lost and never found.

2) my first shawl - a knitting stitch that closely resembles hair-pin lace - I loved it and wore it at work all the time ... until after we went from high chairs without wheels to bewheeled lower chairs, whose wheels caught in and eventually tore (extra) holes in my shawl.

3) a pinks/blues poncho (my own design!) for my daughter, then in first grade. I had made it top-down and had a lot more of the yarn; I had intended on lengthening it as she grew ... She left it on the school yard fence; it vanished.

4) a blanket, knit in one piece in sport weight yarn with an all-over lacy stitch pattern as a gift to my mother-in-law, whom I never did see. My darling did give it to her, but when I finally got there a decade later, I found it dirty, faded from too much direct sunlight, stained from mold!!, torn in a few places, and - to add insult to injury - being used in the mud under olive trees to catch the olives shaken down from the tree!!!! When no one was looking, I repo'ed it, washed and patched it, and keep it on my own bed!

4) maybe this one doesn't count ... I arrived in Syria on my second trip with a bunch of blankets I'd knit/crocheted as gifts for siblings-in-law. One of my sisters-in-law grabbed the biggest one. OK. Then, almost three months later, just a week before we were leaving - she requested that I take it apart and make it into two smaller blankets!!! I was speechless! Had I wished to comply with her request, it would have taken me a couple of months. Instead I wished her good use of it and finished packing. I've never seen it again; I've no idea if she cut it or what. Greedy wench!
Go to Top of Page

knitayarn
New Pal

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2012 :  07:45:30 AM  Show Profile Send knitayarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pullover tribute...

My Hubby, kind man that is he, decided to help out with the wash....I'm sure you can guess what happened....a beautiful handpainted yarn (from a local spinner/dyer) pullover that went from washer into the dryer. It is now a lovely felted bag...after a bit of cutting and sewing...

The Hubby is now relegated to towels, whites and all things non-wool!
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  06:29:13 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well this is an interesting topic and I want to know --does it count if we ourselves are the cause of the RIP? When trying to make the Flower Basket Shawl which was my first ever lace project). I was so completely and utterly frustrated that at the 10th or 12th try I killed it! Yes,with deliberate malice I pulled it off the needles and cut it up into lots of little pieces and God help me I enjoyed it! After the 18th try I got it to a point where I did not want to kill it (not too much!) again. Then I had a retinal tear in my right eye and could not see to read or watch TV -no vigorous activity was allowed as I recuperated--and I was able to finish it. Yes, the god-damned Flower Basket shawl got knitted up. So there!
KnittingKittens
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  08:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love these stories . . .

I knit a lily of the valley pattern scarf out of lace weight yarn. It was beautiful, soft, and loved. The next winter, when the weather got cold, I looked for it and it had vanished. It didn't even turn up when we tore the house apart to paint and rehab. I don't know where it is, but I hope someone found it and is using it.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?