Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 re: Which book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LynnIL
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  4:24:14 PM  Show Profile Send LynnIL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure where to post. I want to buy the book Principles of Knitting, but wonder which edition to buy. Thanks, Lynn

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  6:39:01 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just looking at the book on Amazon yesterday, so I'd be interested to hear the answers to your question. I think it's been reprinted recently but just one time I think.

Cheers,Laura

Cheers, Patience

Faith, Hope, Charity & Yarn Snippets

Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  11:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is the new edition out which has been updated and added upon, so if you want the Principles of Knitting I would go for the newest edition. I am happy to have it, but it is big and sometimes unwieldy. I like it for the thoroughness and it's compleness but in a way I find Montse Stanley's Knitter's Handbook or Vogue Knitting, easier books to find things in.

Marjolein

http://kantajour.blogspot.com
my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
On Ravelry: Marjotse
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4382 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  03:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad that I bought the new edition of Principles of Knitting. It causes a problem, though: every time I look something up, I seem to get sidetracked by some fascinating bit of information or a technique! And as Marjolein said, it's biiiig.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  6:43:08 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The BIG thing is a problem for me. I have arthritis in my hands - not bad, but enough to not want to hold a heavy book. I have to sit at a table or desk to read the book. It is very thorough, and a good reference to have on hand.

Then again, I find the internet to be the absolute BEST reference available. I use it more than any book in my knitting library.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  6:54:22 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the first POK, have seen the second at my library and not too taken by it. As Marjotse said, I, too, like Montse Stanley's Knitter's Handbook or Vogue. Also use Elizabeth Zimmerman (EZ) a lot.

Maybe I'll have to check out the newer edition -- problem is it's big and heavy and it'll be in my backpack.

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  07:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Principles of Knitting in a backpack??? Unless you are trying to build up your weight-carrying capacity, I wouldn't. I'm almost regretting not having bought a Kindle and the e-book (though I don't like non-fiction in electronic format). I think the publisher could have turned it into a whole series of books - each one in a manageable format (and maybe with a nice case around them all, as for some encyclopaedias).

Bye, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.