Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 I'm shopping in a different section of the LYS!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

flicka
Seriously Hooked

868 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  09:58:53 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally, finally have some babies in my life to knit for! What a joy this is. Anyway, I'm using washable yarns and I'm surely enjoying the buying and the knitting of them. So far: Bernat's Soy yarn, 50% soy and 50% acrylic. It is very nice to work with. I will be going through the previous posts on this forum to find other recommendations.

flicka

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1674 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  4:22:38 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on having babies to knit for! Baby items are so fun to knit. I have made baby sweaters from Berroco Comfort DK. My niece just raved on how nicely it wore and laundered.
judy
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2586 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  5:17:01 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really didn't like Comfort DK when I first used it, but it has really grown on me. i made a blanket from it, and I love it. It washes and dries (machine!) beautifully, and the colors stayed bright. Highy recommend, especially if you are ok with dealing with splittiness.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1784 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  10:14:25 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So happy for you. Flicka! I did get to knit for my grandchildren, but they grow so fast now that I can't keep up.

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  07:50:13 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Flicka. What are you knitting for these lucky babies?

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

868 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  5:52:28 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the congratulations and the advice. Comfort sounds like a well-tested yarn and I will seek it out.

Grand-moogi, the project I am knitting in the soy yarn is one of those kimono sweaters that crosses in the front and ties at the side. I'm treating it as a warm-up to the fancier ones to come. I'm cautious about using buttons on babywear, so I think I'm next going to try Fran's back-zip hoodie pattern.

I'm also planning booties for the babies just born to my two favorite baristas. (Yes, I have missed knitting for babies! And I'm going to miss the baristas while they are on maternity leave.)

flicka
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  06:17:59 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those kimono style tops are very tidy on. My daughter in law did not like things that had lace because she said little ones can get their fingers caught in the holes. She was also very fussy about how things did up and how they were put on and off the baby. She would have agreed with your caution about buttons.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

868 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  09:57:07 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grand-moogi, thanks for your daughter-in-law's advice about not using lace in baby things. I'm not sure I would have thought of that! (A blanket is still in the planning stages.)

flicka
Go to Top of Page

IRSKNITSDD
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  12:54:29 PM  Show Profile Send IRSKNITSDD a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found out my nephew and his wife are expecting their first in March. I will be the first baby since my nephew was born. I have started a Christening gown that will have a matching blanket had and booties. I am hoping that I will be able to find someone to help me line it with the satin from my mothers wedding dress.

Donna
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

868 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  2:03:24 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woohoo Donna! Isn't this fun?

flicka
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  5:36:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flicka, do keep in mind when choosing yarns for baby items that our hand-knitting yarns are not treated with chemicals to make them flame resistant (or at least not to my knowledge at this time) as are many ready-made items. Most synthetics are flammable and also melt and stick to the skin, compounding burn damage (heaven forbid).

Folks probably get sick of hearing me comment on this subject, but ever since I learned why the military accepted helmet liners made only of 100% wool did this lesson really "hit home" with me ... I had knit my share of baby blankets and clothing of the popular synthetic "baby" yarns, even for my own grandchildren. But no more; it's 100% superwash wool only for babies.

Something to think about.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

868 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  8:09:46 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ikkivan:
quote:
Folks probably get sick of hearing me comment on this subject, but ever since I learned why the military accepted helmet liners made only of 100% wool did this lesson really "hit home" with me ... I had knit my share of baby blankets and clothing of the popular synthetic "baby" yarns, even for my own grandchildren. But no more; it's 100% superwash wool only for babies.

No, please keep reminding us. There are so many things to keep in mind, and safety should be the first. I actually was thinking of using sock yarn for a blanket (75%wool 25%polyamid) but I will look for 100% wool. Superwash, of course. Any recommendations?

flicka

ETA: Wait, I just went stash-diving and I have some superwash merino! From Fly Yarns, one of my local favorites. In this color:
http://www.angoravalley.com/yarns/lacewing_violet2.jpg

This will work. (Doubled, of course. I'm not quite ready to knit a blanket on size 2 needles. Maybe tripled. Hahahaha. I'm going to bed now.)
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  10:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because a baby blanket takes a lot of yarn, I am constantly on the watch for sales. I have some great superwash wool yarns in my stash especially for baby items (all purchased on sale) that include Cascade 220 Superwash in banana cream color, some Knit Picks Swish in a pale green and one I'm about to knit with right now (a niece expecting her first baby) from Swish Tonal in a yellow and gold colorway (closeout sale color and great for larger items as the hanks are 100 grams). I also use the wool sock yarns for hat/bootie sets, really nice shower gifts for folks I don't know all that well at my church (I always include yarn label with care instructions).

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  2:46:21 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit a blanket for my first grandson and actually finished it before his birth. I am now reknitting since he managed to unravel part of it. As he approaches two he gets more and more "creative". And a baby brother is due in 9 days. I've got my bags packed and ready to go!!!! Nothing knitted for him yet but am planning on a sweater. And since I have only grandsons (not a complaint - love those boys) I get my girl knitting in by knitting for the porcelain doll my SIL made for me.
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

868 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  8:45:15 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
originally posted by Sara Sue:
I knit a blanket for my first grandson and actually finished it before his birth.

You win, Sara Sue. This will never happen to me as long as I live.

Congratulations on the new to-be-born grandson. You are a lucky grandma!

Donna, thanks for the advice on superwash wool yarns. I'll use the Fly yarn first because I have a lot of it, and then I'll have fun shopping.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  9:04:37 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I first got to knit for grandbabies, I dipped into my stash of sock yarn. My first two grandkids have both worn a Baby Surprise Jacket that I made from some Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn. It was so cuddly! There's just something about sock yarn done in garter, I love it.

Jan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?