Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Using up bits of dishcloth cotton.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  7:45:23 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you make dishcloths, then you probably have a bag of tiny bits of leftovers, right? I had two big gallon ziploc bags stuffed full, and put off using them because of all the resulting ends to weave in.

Here was my idea: I set up my ball winder by my sewing machine, and set the machine to a narrow zigzag, with neutral cotton thread. I sorted out the little balls by color families, and began to wind the first ball till I had just a couple feet - enough to reach my sewing machine. I took the tail from the first ball, overlapped about four inches from the next ball, and twisted them together. Holding the two strands, I zigzagged them together for at least two inches (the feed dogs won't touch them, so you have to pull it through), then trimmed the loose ends, and continued winding. When I was down to two feet, I grabbed the next ball, and did it again. I used up over a pound of scraps making these new yarn cakes.

The result? I put the new "cake" on my yarn buddy (my newest toy) and started knitting the "granny's favorite", which is my best way to use scraps. The first cloth I knitted had 5 different yarns. I did have to trim a few little frayed ends after they were knitted, but normally, this would have required TEN ends to weave in, whereas this way, I had TWO.

Obviously, this technique is only for dishcloths. It isn't perfect, but weaving in rough cotton (I only use the cheap stuff) is such a chore that I was willing to try it. The joins should be very secure, and it is still 100% cotton, so I'm happy with it.

Jan

EmEm
Warming Up

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  8:56:20 PM  Show Profile Send EmEm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a good idea! I figured I'd get around to knitting my leftovers some day, but all those ends! I'll definitely give your idea a try.
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  5:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Terrific! I'm not only going to use this idea myself, but will share it with my knitting group tomorrow ... there are several there who make dishcloths and I know they will appreciate this, too.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  3:50:58 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cute idea. I used some ends to make "drool bibs" for the last DGS. I don't think they used them (no evidence when I was there and he was very drooly), but I made 7 of them usually using 2 colors per bib and thought they were cute.

sja
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2747 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  4:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love it!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  04:08:42 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are SOOOOOO clever! I love the idea.

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  05:51:23 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An excellent idea. Thanks for sharing it. I will definitely use that one.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  08:55:23 AM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a great idea! I have lots of scraps and I've been looking for a way to use them up.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  06:33:40 AM  Show Profile Send pqpatch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent idea. It is so difficult to just throw the scraps away, so I am going to try this. Thanks for the great idea.

Patty

http://www.etsy.com/shop/twistedsticks?ref=si_shop
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  07:00:01 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a great idea! Many thanks. I will definitely be using it and telling others about it.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  4:49:20 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've made five dishcloths from the new scrap-balls so far. Only one was so ugly that I have to use it myself. (It had some solid country pink and a burgandy/tan variegated that made up the biggest part...hideous!) Otherwise, I've been happy with the result. I'd been toying with the idea for years of how to attach all these bits so I wouldn't have to weave in all the ends. I'd prefer something that would wrap around the ends, but it would have to be pliable, and I just couldn't come up with anything doable. This idea was just a wild hair that I got one afternoon while straightening up my yarn piles. Please let me know how it works for you, and if you find something that will make it better, please pass that on.

Jan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?