Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Teaching fingerless gloves (Aurora CO)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  11:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi!

I am going to hope it's okay to post this here.

Iíve gotten requests to teach how to knit fingerless gloves for a while now and have finally figured all the ins and outs to teach how to knit them for any size hand. So I invite you to join in! Gloves are great for driving (they absorb steering-wheel shock on long trips; ask me how I know), using cameras, cell phones and now tablet devices! You will knit a pair for yourself in this class, because your hands are right there, and I will supply tips on how to knit gloves for family and friends, even those whose hands live a distance away.

Classes are small (up to four people; I will offer more than one section depending on how many are interested.

There will be four sessions at nominal cost, payable at the first session. The first session will meet the week of October 8, with the meeting time being whatever works best for all interested parties. (Let me hear from you right away so we can decide quickly on day and time! Day and evening classes are possible. I will be away the week of Oct. 22, giving a week to catch up in mid-stream if you need more time. My plan is to knit the gloves as a pair, rather than just one. Thatís because gloves mirror each other, making certain maneuvers occur in different places.

You need to be comfortable knitting small stitches on double-pointed needles; really short circulars wonít work. Also knit, purl, rib, cast-on, and how to UNknit (a.k.a. ďtinkĒ).

Details to be taught include gloves that fit (especially between the ring finger and pinky!), Old Norwegian Sock Cast-on, make-1 increases (right and left), a Japanese method for short rows (gloriously invisible!), backwards cast-on, picking up stitches (fingers and thumb), Kitchener stitch, and darning in ends so they donít come out. You may already know some of these techniques, which is fine; in some cases, this class will show you when to do what! Anyway, I will include all instructions in handouts, and have some knitted examples ready on bigger needles to demonstrate some of the techniques.

Materials (itís a lot of stuff, just the way it goes):

50g of non-fuzzy, mostly wool sock yarn in light to medium colors (so you can easily see your way through special maneuvers; if you canít work with or wear wool, keep reading or contact me and we will figure out other options). Colorways or solids are fine. The best yarns are Cherry Tree Hill, Regia 4-fadig (not 6), Cascade, and Opal 4-ply (not 6-ply). Plymouth makes a non-wool, acrylic sock yarn, although I donít know where to buy it locally. Hobby Lobby sells suitable sock yarn for cheap, which becomes cheaper yet with a 40% off coupon from www.hobbylobby.com, and Iím sure Michaelís does, too. Do not use Mountain Colors; itís too dark and fuzzy, aside from being way too much expensive yarn.

Preferably two sets of 5 double-pointed needles that produce a gauge of 8-9 sts/in. (US 1 or thereabouts), OR 1 set of dpns and stitch holders that can easily hold small stitches. The best needles are bamboo (Crystal Palace, Clover, Hiya Hiya; avoid Brittany, as these birch needles can break; metal Hiya Hiya are lightweight and will work great, too) at a length of 5-6 inches (8 inches is long and therefore clumsy, but if you are okay with these and thatís what you already have, give them a try). If using two sets, use the same brand of needles. Also , bring a second set of dpns a half or whole size larger (these can be 8 inches, because they will not be used much, but if you need to buy, 5-6 inches in length will serve you well.

Notions: Calculator, tape measure, ruler, pencil >with eraser<, at least a dozen locking stitch markers in two colors, 6 small marker rings for needles, four 12-inch pieces of waste yarn (worsted weight) in a contrasting color, yarn needle, darning or chenille needle.

Your sense of humor.

Express your interest BY FRIDAY, SEPT. 28, 2012 with a private message. I'll get back to you with more details!

Happy knitting,

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe