Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Writing a pattern book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  12:32:39 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I shouldn't tell anyone this but I have decided to write my own book of bed sock patterns. So far it is going well. My Grand daughter is acting as 'tester' and wearing the different styles to let me know what she thinks of them. I have lined up friends to test patterns.
Big question: Should I contact a yarn company and ask them to provide yarn for the featured patterns so we can say that it is knitted with X or should I use whatever yarn I feel like using?

I knit a hug into every stitch

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  2:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go gauge rather than specific yarns. Many old books are hard to know what they mean bc they went with a brand name no longer around. Best wishes!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  09:59:14 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, in two years of knitting I'm not sure I've ever used the yarn called for in a pattern, I'm always subbing something in and adapting it (I admit to some disasters!). I think a lot of us to this sometimes, and gauge being not so crucial in a bedsock as it would be in a fitted sweater, there's leeway with yarn choice for those who would want to substitute. So, for me, I would lean towards using what yarn I wanted.

I'm curious to hear what others think. It sounds like a fun and challenging venture, Grand-Moogi. I hope we get to hear about progress from time to time.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  12:25:26 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good for you!! What a project!. I, too, like the idea not going with specific yarns, but by guage/weight, ie #1,#4etc.
judy
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  9:10:38 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grand-moogi, u go girl! I'm sure your book will be a great success!
Couldn't hurt to at least talk to some yarn companies.

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  01:34:04 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main reason I thought of going to yarn companies was that they might then supply the yarn to use to knit the illustration ones. But I guess bedsocks do not take much yarn so the yarn will not be expensive.
I will be including the same patterns in different guages and of course being an Aussie they will be referred to as #ply. However, I have learned lots on this forum so I will also point out what weight it is in US too and have the guage written so that it can be seen clearly. Jtamsn, I wonder if you could explain to me what you mean by #1 and #4 as I have noticed that sort of notation next to yarns a few times lately.
The measurements are in cms but I will have a table showing a comparison so that should not be a problem. I have four basic patterns and I am doing each in 20 different sizes and in about 4 different weights of yarns so that gives 320 basic patterns to start with. Then I am developing ways to tizzy them up and make them different with lace panels or cables or whatever. My 7 year old grand daughter is acting as my official tester. I sent her a pair of bedsocks in basic pattern B. They are slightly different because I wanted to know what toe shaping felt best and a few other things. I sent her an appraisal sheet and a stamped address envelope so she could return the appraisal to me. She told me today on the phone that she has posted the first appraisal back to me and I think it is paying off already as she made some very good suggestions. She is very excited about her role.
Hey something I am curious about - Do the tape measures you use in US have centimetres on one side and inches on the other like ours do?

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  08:30:37 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great way to get your granddaughter involved. The appraisal sheet and stamped envelope are brilliant.

I think most tape measures over here have centimetres on one side and inches on the other. I have three, and they all have both systems. The metric/english conversion chart is a great idea, as is identifying the yarns by both aus's ply system and english (? I don't know what else to call it) weights.

I'm completely intrigued by your pattern book, and from your description, would definitely consider buying it.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  8:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go for it, G-M!

I'm working on a book of gloves right now. Finally cracked the code on the stitch numbers; that was a biggie.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2012 :  01:15:12 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am working out the different sizings in spreadsheets with various formulae to calculate rows and stitches. Well I am a chartered accountant so I guess you would expect me to do that.

Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  06:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an idea: Couldn't you give wraps per cm as well? Yes, I know it's not a precise measure, as it depends on who is winding and how they were told to wind - but there's still a difference between a 10 wpcm (or 25 wpi) yarn a 5 wpcm (12 wpi) yarn. I'm spinning all my yarn and never know what x-ply or sportsweight etc. mean. And it's a lot faster to wrap your yarn around a ruler (or gauge) than knitting a gauge swatch.

Happy writing, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  09:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Give good gauge info but also ask for yarn support, free yarn to knit final samples in is great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  07:45:44 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Klara, That idea of the wrap info sounds interesting. It is something my daughter and I could do together and just find as many yarns as possible and test them out. It might not be scientifically foolproof but I guess it provides you with a starting point.
Our ply system is very handy as a quick reference. You can pick up two yarns that appear to be quite different but both are said to be 8 ply which is double knitting and should come out at 22 stitches to 10 centimetres (4 inches) on 4mm needles. You might look at one of them and say "That can't be 8 ply, it is too fine" but sure enough it will knit up as 8 ply. I think some yarns have what they call a halo(????). It is a fine fluffiness around it that causes it to knit up as if it is thicker.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?