Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Embarrassing habits when admiring yarn
 I act suspiciously
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lynne604
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  11:51:21 PM  Show Profile Send Lynne604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first thing I do, honestly, is cast my eye around to see if anyone else has spotted the particular yarn. At the LYS, sometime customers take a skein to the book section so they can match it up with a suitable pattern.

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  12:57:16 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That could look suspicious! Especially if you then carted it off to the book section! I hope that if they do not buy the yarn, they put it back.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

carlyta
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  08:45:39 AM  Show Profile Send carlyta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At my favorite LYS I will look at the yarn, feel it and put it aside to look at even more yarn later on. I usually have a pattern in mind while I'm looking. The first thing I look at are all the colors and all the yarn in the store. If the yarn goes with the pattern I have in mind, I will buy it OR I will buy it anyway and save it for later. At my favorite Alpaca Farm Store, I just look at all the beautiful colors of the yarn, make a mental picture of where everything is and then feel the yarn, put it aside and continue looking. Since I cannot resist Alpaca yarn, I will buy it whenever I'm at the shop, save the yarn until I find a pattern or pattern stitch for it and design my own knitted item with it. I can spend at 1-2 hours doing this.

Carlyta
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  07:28:24 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At my FYS the basket of odd balls is right at the base of the round table when you come up the stairs from outside. I am always head down and going 60 mph toward that basket after greeting the owner.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

Lynne604
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  6:25:28 PM  Show Profile Send Lynne604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grand-moogi

That could look suspicious! Especially if you then carted it off to the book section! I hope that if they do not buy the yarn, they put it back.

I knit a hug into every stitch

Customers are generally very good about putting yarn back that they don't intend to purchase. It's a small shop and the owner knows all the regulars.
Go to Top of Page

Warokz
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  11:21:48 PM  Show Profile Send Warokz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But still different perspective for different people
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2013 :  5:37:47 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How could any of this possibly be embarrassing?? Geez, we're all knitters and understand each other.

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Go to Top of Page

CrystalCactus
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2013 :  03:33:45 AM  Show Profile Send CrystalCactus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I fondle the yarn and hold it up to my cheek to check for softness.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe