Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 Catching up with ads
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  7:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I backed out several times from wandering deep into KR to find a particular ad to click on, but the same one showed up on every page. Is there some place to find just the ads so we can click on them and have a better look? If there is something already set up here, I don't know where to find it. Perhaps an "Ads" link going to another page listing the current ones?

Also, once I caught up with the ad I wanted to see, I clicked on it, and the link is broken!

I don't look at ads much, but every now and then one will catch my eye and I'll want a closer look.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  05:46:41 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What she said. Sometimes I see an ad, but by the time I want to click on it, I've moved on, it's moved on, and I can't find it again.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  07:02:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent suggestion! Are you talking about ads within the Forums, or within the content-rich area of KR?

The ads within KR - at least the pretty graphics from KR-specific sponsors - run in a one-month rotation. Every time you refresh the page, another ad will show. How many? That depends on how many lovely people have sponsored KR that month.

So if you saw something there (I'm talking about the ads in the upper righthand corner, under "this month sponsored by"), keep refreshing and you'll find it.

If, however, a month has passed, you won't see the ad again. There is no archive for site sponsor or index ads from month to month.

If you're talking about ads within the newsletter, those are archived indefinitely. But because their links to to an external site, if you're reading an ad for 2007 it's possible the external site has changed and the link will no longer work. That's the risk with archives, but it's also the joy. There are many gems in them thar newsletters.

IF, on the third hand (my, how many hands we have) you're talking about the Google ads, those are beyond my purview. I can't archive them anywhere because they're managed by Google.

Has this helped at all? Let me know.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  4:44:24 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Clara, for the clarification ("Clara-fication"?) I'm talking about the ads to the right of a forum page, toward the top. Above the google ads. Makes sense not to archive them!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  10:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm talking about those on the forum pages. It would be great (albeit more work for you) if the ads were all gathered there. Not worried about Google or any of that. Thanks for considering!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  07:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ceil - so you're asking if we can list the forum ads in perpetuity? The challenge here is that our lovely sponsors pay to sponsor a certain period of time only.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2012 :  04:51:29 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha! Now here is a great marketing advantage if you can grab it. Tell your sponsors that this happens - Members see their ad, maybe are not ready for it at that time but would like to be able to come back and find it. Therefore they should arrange to have it run every few months or so or else pay an annual figure to be put into a special advertisements archive so members can go find it when they are ready for it. If you make it an annual amount to stay there, then that solves the problem of old ads for things no longer available or old links being there. The ads in the ad archive would be ones that had featured but only for a period.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2012 :  05:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Clara has specific arrangements/contracts/subscriptions with her advertisers (and that those advertisers help make it possible for us to have this lovely forum). She has a lot of experience in this area. What makes the most sense to me is for us to click on the ads we see, when we see them, and to support KR advertisers with all our might.

And as someone who maintains a website for a living, I can tell you that I'd go crazy if I had to archive everything all the time. Certain content, of course; but outdated information, no.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2012 :  11:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clara

Ceil - so you're asking if we can list the forum ads in perpetuity? The challenge here is that our lovely sponsors pay to sponsor a certain period of time only.

Clara

No, not at all. I'm simply asking that links be put on one page for the month(s) each ad runs. I did quite a bit of backing out of pages a couple weeks ago, and the same ad kept popping up. But there was another one that looked SO enticing!

Thanks,

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  09:49:40 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I am not familiar with the work involved in maintaining a website. I just saw a another way of making money. As a chartered accountant, whenever I saw an opportunity for one of my clients to make more money I would always toss it to them just in case. I guess old habits die hard.

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2012 :  2:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, no, it's a great idea. We'll definitely keep it in mind as we push forward with the 2013 advertising program.

If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting we a) tell advertisers that people remember their ads and would like to see them again and b) we set up a new ad program for KR Forum sponsors whereby they can also pay to have their ads archived for a year on a special "ad archives" page where people can go when they are looking for an ad that they saw but didn't click on, or did click but then got drawn away, so that they can go back to whatever it was that was being advertised?

Clara
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  03:53:56 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep that sounds about right. They could keep it there for as long as they pay the annual subscription to stay there and of course they would not be paying it if the ad was out of date and the product no longer available or the link did not work so you would not need to worry about those issues.

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  6:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking just for the month the ad appears, but if you want to do it for a year, I guess that would help a lot of us! Brainstorming here is good!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  12:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The month that the ad appears, you can simply refresh the page until you see the ad again. They do programmatically rotate - sometimes it'll take a while if a lot of people are reloading pages at the same time, since they circulate among all the views, but you will get back to it.

Clara
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.