Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Knitter's Pride dpns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1788 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  9:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My student came here today with brand new US size 1 wooden needles, and one of them broke in my hand while I was transferring a couple stitches from one needle to another. As far as I knew, I didn't even bend it, so I wonder if there was a weak spot in the wood.

This student knits tightly, so perhaps this brand, or at least wooden needles, aren't a good idea, esp. when the needles are so thin. Bamboo seems to be a lot more forgiving that way.

I will hope she can get the needle replaced. What a bummer.....

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

394 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  10:38:19 AM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's certainly possible the tight knitting was a factor. I once helped a person who knit so tightly that I almost couldn't get the stitches off the needle and had to use dental floss to hold them. She was knitting a sock inside-out and it was necessary to turn it right side out to kitchner the toe. I think her needles were metal and they definitely didn't break. Afterwards, she always knitted socks inside-out but tried to knit more loosely or use larger needles. It was a learning experience for me since I had never known anyone who made socks that way.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe