Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Have you ever?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

765 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  8:09:06 PM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a coworker show me her knitting. She been knitting a short time. I notice drop stitches. I said you have some drop stitches would you like me to show you how to pick them up. She said there not drop stitches they are yarn overs. I then took my knitting out to show her a yarn over. She showed my boss who also knits who was not there when we were talking. My boss said what I said and offered to show her how to pick up stitches. She walked away mad. I have at ask do help a new knitter when you see something wrong or do you let it go. What did we both do wrong. Donna

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1752 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  07:21:39 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think you did anything wrong, but as a new knitter your co-worker may be both proud of what she knitted and unsure of her knitting skills. You offered help, she declined. I would guess that somewhere in the future she will be back for your help.

I remember when I first learned to knit, I was so anxious to see what the item would look like, that I had no time for "learning" any more than what I knew, which wasn't much. After a few projects that have no place to go but the trash bin, we sometimes look for the help of others.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  09:02:04 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would do or say nothing now, but when/if she comes
back for help smile and give it to her. I don't think you
did anything wrong. Most of us would do the same.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  8:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You tried to help. When she realizes she was wrong she will be back. At that point you may have created a monster! All your breaks will be teaching her how to knit. ;-)

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

765 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  04:08:55 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks you all. Donna
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  11:32:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like to bite my tongue when knitting needs help, but I often do maintain silence. Mostly it's been when the stitches on socks looks way too big to wear over the long term, BUT the knitter has judiciously followed a set of instructions she trusts. Who am I to get in the way of that? The only time I can is when a knitter asks about it. Then I'm free to talk. Fwiw.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  11:38:14 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pride? Hurt feelings? It's not your fault. You did try to help - and not just to FIX it but to SHOW HER how to fix it. Not much else you can do. I wouldn't say or do anything more unless she comes to you for help.

I have an acquantance who will not ever ask for my help, but will make a special trip to the LYS to have someone help her there. She'll even tell me that's where she's going...and I'm right there in front of her, perfectly capable of helping, and I don't charge a dime!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  07:00:55 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say hurt feelings. Make sure she overhears you telling someone how impressed you are with her progress as a knitter and how there are lots of knitters where you work etc. Makes lunch time fin, work place knitting group whatever. There has to be something you can praise, the pattern she chose, how neat she is, her patience - whatever.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

bananaknits
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  11:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit bananaknits's Homepage Send bananaknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That has happened to me before so now I just hold my opinion unless asked.

"Admire Your Work Often"

http://bananaknits.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.