Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Yarn for afghan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SHARON WILLIAMSON
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  09:59:50 AM  Show Profile Send SHARON WILLIAMSON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is your favorite yarn for making afghans?

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1684 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  2:29:48 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually like the durability of Red Heart or Bernat Worsted for afghans. My favorite Worsted weight yarn, however is Plymouth Encore.
judy
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  6:51:15 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Berroco Comfort, no question. Lightweight but warm enough, soft, washes wonderfully, great stitch definition, and doesn't have that squeaky acrylic feel to it. It took me awhile to get to this point because I was a "natural fiber" snob, but in many cases washability is more important than the desire for a natural fiber. On the other hand, I must report that the stuff splits badly - you have to use a stubby needle and watch every stitch.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  7:08:13 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the KF, Sharon! For afghans, I usually use a double strand of worsted wt yarn. Not only is it warm, but I come up with all sorts of color combos!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
The more, the merrier!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  10:24:46 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sharon, I used Deborah Norville. Donna
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?