Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 what to do?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  10:21:29 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have lost a lot of weight and do not plan on replacing it.
Now what do I do with all the XL & L sweaters that I have
knit for me during the yrs and no longer fit? The rest of
my clothes I will give away, but my sweaters? We are talking about 1/2 doz. Anyone else have this prob?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

762 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  12:24:38 PM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying now to have that problem. I lost weight two years ago after a transplant. I need to lose so much more. I gave jeans away I kept the sweaters and I do wear them.I think I wear them as a reminder. Congratulation on your weightloss Donna
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  5:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am slowly dropping pounds, about 3 a month. Fortunately my sweaters will continue to fit for at least another 20 pounds of loss. What should you do? Keep them! Put them away and someday a decendent will wear them and love you for keeping them.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  10:29:40 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shalee, good suggestion but I don't have the space and I need a couple of new sweaters that fit.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  04:29:48 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could maybe pick undone where you sewed them up and make the pieces smaller by steeking them and then resew them? A lot of fiddling but that is all I can think of. You might have to reknit neck bands and some bits like that. And I assume the lengths would be OK. It is just the widths that are too big?

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2383 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  07:01:29 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd rip them and make new sweaters out of the yarn.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  09:14:30 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good suggestion both. How about if I take in and sew the
sides together not rip out at all? Once I sew the sides
together I can cut open so the seams lay flat and they
won't run because the sewing would hold them. Would that work?
OR MAYBE just buy some new yarn and knit more. I ordered some new yarn from Little Knits in a pretty purple.
Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

877 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  5:22:42 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope the sweater-remodel plan works for you. I know how hard it is to part with things you have knit for yourself.

If it doesn't work, and if the sweaters are suitable for the workplace, there is an organization affiliated with the Seattle YWCA that outfits disadvantaged women for entering the workforce. Here is a link:

http://www.dressforsuccess.org/affiliate.aspx?sisid=63&pageid=18

Good luck! I'd love to hear about your new project in purple.

flicka

Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  6:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
congrats, what a great problem to have. id rework what you can via sewing and cutting and reknit new to celebrate too. with the others maybe you could sew them into some nice throw pillows or felt them downand see what happens if they are wool, maybe sew them into knitting bags? just a brainstorm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  7:32:48 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought some new yarn in a pretty purple today from
Little Knits. Now to find a sweater pattern.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  6:55:53 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There you go girl! Looking for a nice pattern is a pleasant task and then while you are knitting you can mull over the various ideas about what to do with the other too large ones.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  10:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
OR MAYBE just buy some new yarn and knit more.

And this is a problem?

Seriously, though, remodelling should be done with care. Simply taking in the side seams...you need to consider the impact on the under-arm if the sleeves are set-in. You may find it better to take the sleeves out, alter the side seams and then alter the sleeves accordingly.

I confess, much as you may want to keep them, if it were me, I'd find reconstruction too much work, and give them away.

TLWKOTB
http://www.margaretblank.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.