Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Do folks steal hand-knits?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  08:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several years ago I knit a special hat for a pre-teen grandson; this morning my daughter e-mailed me that the hat disappeared at church Sunday and she needed a photo (which I had) to make a poster to help find the hat, ending with "He LOVES that hat." She said he had put it inside the sleeve of his jacket before hanging up his jacket, as is his habit, and when he put the jacket on after church (not where I want to think stealing takes place!), the hat was missing. It was a unique hat with a stranded colorwork design I made up myself just for him, so it's hard to believe most of their friends wouldn't know to whom that hat belonged.

Anyway, I have had several family members tell me that they are afraid to wear some of the items I have knit for them (usually hats and scarves) ... items that they remove once at work or school ... for fear they will be stolen. Now, on the one hand it may make me feel good that my knitting is so gorgeous that people want to steal it, but then, I don't just want excuses for the items not being used, either.

Another time, when one grandson's favorite hat "disappeared," my daughter sighed and said, "Well, someone is walking around wearing a really nice, warm hat." I was able to knit him another almost like the first (he was afraid to tell me it was gone). And I'll knit another for this grandson, too, if the first doesn't turn up (as if I need an excuse to knit for my grandchildren).

A friend told me of one of her entries being stolen from the displays at the county fair!

Do any of you hear about your knits being stolen? How do you feel about this?

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  09:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. They do get stolen. I don't feel good about it. I'm sorry you had this happen.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2747 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  5:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My LYS zip ties everything down because of theft. It's a shame, but necessary.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2041 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  12:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately there are those who do steal knitted items. I even made (sewed) a levi jacket for my son when he was in grade school and someone stole it and left their ratty one in it's place. One yarn store I know of put in cameras to see who was stealing items hung up for display. When they found out who was doing it they were shocked; it was a very well known person in their town!

I would never put anything I knitted in the fair. The security is worthless! Just last year (maybe the year before), at a very prominent huge Eastern knitting gathering, a very unique knitted purse was stollen from a booth where it was on display. It was reported about on Ravelry.

Just Christmas before last I was told about two women that were at their local cancer center and saw the table with hats for chemo patients. They scooped up 8 to 10 of them and gave them as presents to their grand children! They saw nothing wrong with what they had done! Yes, it is a fact, as one of the women involved actually told me, much later, what they had done. She was so tickled at their find! I was so taken back that I couldn't even respond. And she wonders why I don't knit her any gifts and haven't stopped to see her, since then, when out there! Thank heavens we live 1,500 miles apart or I would have done something I would have regretted.

So, yes, things do get stollen. It doesn't matter how unique they are. It just plain makes me sick to think there are people that feel they are so intitled, to what ever you or I have, that they just take it.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  12:31:30 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The baby-blanket I spun and knitted for my granddaughter fell out of her pram in the local shopping-centre when she was 2 weeks old and was not returned. Socks I knitted for my brother and niece "disappeared" in the mail. But my biggest loss was a small bronze sculpture I made at Art School - taken by a fellow-student and displayed by him in an exhibition of "his" work. I heard of this from someone else when I'd left the country. That student was expelled from the school when he stole the work of a lecturer and entered it in an exam as his own work...
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  04:30:21 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are dreadful stories. So far (touch wood) I have not had something I made stolen. Maybe mine are not good enough but it would be particularly dreadful to have something you made stolen because it is not just an item - it is a part of yourself.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

755 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  04:39:26 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was told once that if my hat came up missing it was that she had stole it. I stop wearing it to class. I think it just a shame. Donna
Go to Top of Page

theatreknitter
Warming Up

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  04:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit theatreknitter's Homepage Send theatreknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have people that also won't wear hand knits because they are afraid of what will happen. I was actually excited this year when my sister showed me gloves that I made her 4 years ago that developed a hole and she was requesting a replacement..

But on topic, stolen knits ? Boy do I have a story. I have a small project where I collect hats that are distributed to children in need (www.patpatshats.com)

A friend put out a box at church, he had to replace the box TWICE not because the boxes we full, but because the box was stolen TWICE!!

I can only hope that the hats went to someone in need, it really was heartbreaking.

Betsy

have YOU checked out PatPat's Hats?
www.patpatshats.com
Go to Top of Page

theatreknitter
Warming Up

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  04:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit theatreknitter's Homepage Send theatreknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, I will tell a lovely story about a returned knit (to make people feel better)

I made a great scarf, it was nothing special, but the yarn was a gift from a knitter friend, so it meant something to me.

It must have fallen while I was walking the dog, I didn't notice it was missing for a few days. I was crushed.

A few days later I took the dog for another walk, and there was my scarf hanging on a fence!! I couldn't believe it!

Betsy

have YOU checked out PatPat's Hats?
www.patpatshats.com
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  05:08:42 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to a small New England liberal arts college with honor code, blah blah blah. My mother had knit me an AMAZING aran-style sweater. She was European so although she had knit since she was a child, she didn't really understand English patterns very well, and as you can imagine, she generally knit utilitarian pieces, not something as complex as an aran sweater. Well, she loved me and she struggled through the pattern (no charts back then!) and gave me this gorgeous sweater. I wore it regularly, including one night to the library. The library got warm inside, I took off the sweater and put it on the back of my chair. Later in the evening, I got up to stretch / socialize /whatever college kids did in libraries in the 70's, and when I returned, the sweater was gone! I was heartbroken. I scoured the building, and for weeks watched every female on that campus to see if she might be wearing that sweater, but nothing. I cried when I called my mother to tell her and 30+ years later, I am still sad about it. And by the way, when my mother died and we cleaned out her house, I found that pattern among her sewing/knitting things. Dare I knit it for my now daughter in college?

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

gerstperson
Warming Up

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  05:44:10 AM  Show Profile Send gerstperson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was in college, I loved knitting complex Aran patterns, and saved my money to buy the wool yarn I needed for a chocolate brown sweater with a honeycomb of cables across the front. I was immensely proud of my work, and took the sweater with me to summer camp, where I was a senior counselor, with my own tent. Needless to say, someone stole the sweater out of my tent while I was at an activity. Despite all sorts of announcements and a reward offer, it was never found or returned.

I was so heartbroken, I gave up knitting for several years. Luckily, in the early 80's, I was sick enough of needlepoint that I decided to return to knitting and never looked back. And luckily, no further stolen items.

Sharon

Chinese Proverb: Man who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt woman who is doing it.
Go to Top of Page

deedee57
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  05:59:38 AM  Show Profile Send deedee57 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two years ago I knitted a shawl for my mother using Lorna Lace
While she was receiving communion, the shawl disappeared. She was visibly upset. The priest approached her after mass, as she was looking about the pews - of course to no avail. The following week's sermon was about theft. She purchased a few inexpsenive woven scarves from Micheals which she wears to church.
Go to Top of Page

cutlermac
New Pal

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  09:18:04 AM  Show Profile Send cutlermac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a sweater stolen at a knitting seminar. I was wearing it and it became too warm. I took it off and placed it on my chair. I got up and left my seat for a few moments, returned almost immediately. It was GONE.

How do I feel? Very Disappointed that another KNITTER would do this. Knitters know how much work goes into these items.
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

293 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  2:14:49 PM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Sweet Fern Mitts knitted with Elsa Cormo "disapeared" at the last 2012 Knitters Review Retreat. I discussed on Friday night how knitting them made me feel like a knitter for the first time. Knitting those mitts gave me confidence that will last forever. I believe they fell between cushions on the couch in front of the fireplace. There were guests other than the KRR folks and, well, I have my suspicions....

My confidence wasn't taken, but I really loved those mitts.

Nanci
Go to Top of Page

Daylily
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  2:38:41 PM  Show Profile Send Daylily a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not yet had any thing I knitted stolen . But I have had one of my daylily plants stolen on the day it would have bloomed for the first time.Some one came up into the front yard up near the front door hallway and dug up the entire plant, Then they made the soil look like nothing had been planted there but I knew the difference. Since then I have move all of the daylilies into the back yard where I can see them from inside the house. And I just re-acquired the daylily that was stolen. It is called COBALT DAWN. The reason I bought it was because it is my name, Dawn is my middle name.

Daylily, another one tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

bearknitter
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  4:09:47 PM  Show Profile Send bearknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I participated in a public knitting event, wrapping light poles in the town center with knitted pieces, to be left up for a month, then taken down and refashioned into dog and cat blankets for the local dog and cat shelter. 7 or 8 of the post wraps were taken, possibly by the local homeless people who hang out there. In the end it was decided not to report to the police as the homeless might have used them for warmth (one woman confronted us during set up that we should be making blankets for the homeless in our county) or the local teens really didn't need a record because of this petty theft. I wasn't part of the decision, but decided to go along with it. Fortunately, my favorite rainbowed piece was photographed so I have that. I wasn't as bothered as I thought I would be by this theft, but had about 20 more of my pole wrappings (full and partial) still on view.

By the way, the cats and dogs loved the 45 or so blankets we gave them.
Go to Top of Page

svjanis
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2013 :  06:45:13 AM  Show Profile Send svjanis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Disappointed to read so many stories. I gave my granddaughter a hand-spun hand-knitted sweater for Christmas and I hold my breath every time she wears it to school.

S Vourlojianis
Go to Top of Page

THERESA P
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2013 :  10:04:09 AM  Show Profile Send THERESA P a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not knitting, but two framed embroidery pieces. They broke into my car. I was saddened and violated, but I don't know if I should feel flattered too? Luckily they didn't take too long to do.
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2013 :  11:01:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I do have good news ... my grandson's missing hat was found later in the week; it turned up in the bottom of the church's food-pantry donation box. Possibly this was a prank by another kid, but at least my grandson has his beloved hat again.

In addition to the stories posted here, since telling this to several friends during the week, I heard many more stories of thefts than I wanted to believe would happen.

This is a real eye opener!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Gibson Girl
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  12:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gibson Girl's Homepage Send Gibson Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes..one of my most beautiful projects-a ski sweater that turned out to be truly yummy! I had packed the car for a ski trip the next day and in the early AM when I went to the secured parking garage I discovered the stereo missing as well as my ski clothes. Never recovered any of it but I am always looking for my one of a kind sweater on someone!!
Go to Top of Page

Jessica-Jean
New Pal

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2013 :  2:40:28 PM  Show Profile Send Jessica-Jean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stolen knits? Yep.
First was not a knit, but the gorgeous yarn my mother'd bought for me on her one trip overseas. She'd gone to Scotland and bought loads of yarn for me, but some baggage handler at one airport or another broke into her locked luggage and removed the wool.
Second was a poncho I'd made for my daughter. She'd found it too warm during the afternoon recess and had hung it on the school-yard fence. Poof! Gone. I still have some of the yarn that was intended to enlarge it for her when she'd grown; she was in 1st grade then.
Third was a second poncho this time made by my mother for me. It was nearing completion and - because I'm a big woman (6', ~250 pounds) - it had its own very large tote bag. She'd put the bag up on top of the coat rack in a restaurant, but it was never seen again.

Theives abound everywhere. Jesus may have said that the poor will always be with us, but He neglected to mention that theives would be also. ;)

I've caught two women pulling up plants from my postage-stamp-sized garden. They were upset that I didn't let them make off with my plants! No accounting for some folks lack of couth.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?